ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody listen to Jerry Eaves show today?

Sparkaces1

Senior
Sep 19, 2012
Downplaying how good we looked in the Bahamas saying we didn’t have anybody as good as Alexander and Knox.

While I’m not ready to ship us the title, I think Eaves is underestimating the Sophomores on the team and their improvement. I generally think Eaves is pretty fair but it seemed like he was upset at how good we looked down there.

We could have a team comparable to the GS Warriors and Lil Bro fans would be downplaying them. They're in serious denial. They've been exposed as the sleaziest college team; they're the first team EVER to have a Natty revoked; they had hookers servicing recruits in an attempt to stay even with Kentucky.

They got caught and now they're not going to be relevant for a long, long time, if ever.
UK has a potential powerhouse of a team, and it's killing their souls. We're on top of the mountain, they're under the mountain looking WAAAAY up at us.

I love it. Suck it UL, suck it.

A kid who could actually wind up better than SGA and as good if not slightly better than Knox sat on the bench most of the trip. Montgomery. This team looked awfully dangerous for early August to me. Calipari was on Cloud 9.

Downplaying how good we looked in the Bahamas saying we didn’t have anybody as good as Alexander and Knox.

While I’m not ready to ship us the title, I think Eaves is underestimating the Sophomores on the team and their improvement. I generally think Eaves is pretty fair but it seemed like he was upset at how good we looked down there.
One of issues the last three years was not only not having near enough basketball skills but also not near enough guys that was competitive day in and day out and guys that wasn't physical that played hard all the time.
This roster has all that finally and if Eaves can't see that then he hasn't watched too close.

I am super excited with this bunch!

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
I knew there would be some over-reactions to what I predicted before the trip as 4 relatively easy wins. Yes, we looked awesome but these teams might have had some NBA talent, but Toronto we didn't play as well but were able to easily win because they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. We also were able to turn-over the guards on the 3 other games and play uptempo which fit at this time into where the team is capable. The Serbian team except for the physical center were not grown men, most were 19 to 21 years old and one NBA prospect got hurt although we had already built a sizeable lead anyway. However, it was great to see that this team didn't shrink from physical play and you couldn't say the same for last year's team.

Eaves may be correct in certain ways, but ignoring some other issues. First, PJ was awesome and showed those skills which really only manifested at the end of the season. So PJ this year is already better than PJ of last year. Same obviously for Richards. Reid was a bit disapponting on offense but he was great on the boards another weakness from last season. Our guards have a whole season to gain experience and Quade was decent last season and certainly now has experience. The big difference this season is all the depth. I hope Cal does all season what he did in these games which was play everyone with substantial minutes. Every single game the other team by 10 minutes to go were worn down, and this was a huge advantage as we weren't. Duke may match our starting 5, maybe the Zags and a few others might have a more cohesive and equally talented starting 5, but no one has all this talented depth. Two players who will see action didn't even play except Mongomery in the first game. Name one team that has all this talent?

No one has to be as good as Knox, they just have to give more effort and get back on D better than he did and we will automatically be a better team.
This. Knox may be nba Roy and I would still hate the way he plays ball just because of his effort on D and rebounding

I knew there would be some over-reactions to what I predicted before the trip as 4 relatively easy wins. Yes, we looked awesome but these teams might have had some NBA talent, but Toronto we didn't play as well but were able to easily win because they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. We also were able to turn-over the guards on the 3 other games and play uptempo which fit at this time into where the team is capable. The Serbian team except for the physical center were not grown men, most were 19 to 21 years old and one NBA prospect got hurt although we had already built a sizeable lead anyway. However, it was great to see that this team didn't shrink from physical play and you couldn't say the same for last year's team.

Eaves may be correct in certain ways, but ignoring some other issues. First, PJ was awesome and showed those skills which really only manifested at the end of the season. So PJ this year is already better than PJ of last year. Same obviously for Richards. Reid was a bit disapponting on offense but he was great on the boards another weakness from last season. Our guards have a whole season to gain experience and Quade was decent last season and certainly now has experience. The big difference this season is all the depth. I hope Cal does all season what he did in these games which was play everyone with substantial minutes. Every single game the other team by 10 minutes to go were worn down, and this was a huge advantage as we weren't. Duke may match our starting 5, maybe the Zags and a few others might have a more cohesive and equally talented starting 5, but no one has all this talented depth. Two players who will see action didn't even play except Mongomery in the first game. Name one team that has all this talent?

And we haven't even seen Baker which if he gets healthy will be even more depth.

Reactions: westerncat

if myron metcalf says we proved something and has us preseason #1 then everyone else ought to get on board.

Not sure how many of our guys are better than Knox. But I imagine 4-5 guys being mote consistent and productive than Knox. Not to mention more aggressive.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
Let’s see...
Soph PJ better than frosh PJ
Soph Quade better than frosh Quade
Soph Richards better than frosh Richards. That’s for starters.
SGA vs Herro....Time will tell
Knox vs Johnson....Time will tell.
Travis greater than SKJ
EJ potentially better than WG
Then you have EQ, Hagans, and Baker vs a no show Vanderbilt and suspense Lumberjack.

I’ll take this years team for a thousound Alex!

No one has to be as good as Knox, they just have to give more effort and get back on D better than he did and we will automatically be a better team.

Herro, Johnson, Richards,PJ, EJ, Are a few that can give us production equal to Knox, game in game out . Plus You add the Monster games RT will have and the monster Backcourt we bring to table it's Pick your poison. I thought Knox wasn't as aggressive as he could of been in alot of games. It's like the team collectively was passive and lil bit on soft side last year. The mentality seems to be way different this coming year. Was there some sort of infection or cancer in locker room last year.? The team seemed disconnected with each other. They had a late run of what they could of been but reverted on SS game IMO. Seemed they were like thinned skinned last year butI don't know just observation. This years team seems mentally tuff,sharp, and physically hard plus add in confidence along with way better flow and Chemistry. Attitudes across the board seems way more upbeat and positive..

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Last years team was really soft. This is the most in your face group I've seen since kidd-gilchrist tean in 2012. I don't recall having any freshman play defense (and have not even been coached to yet) the way Johnson & Hagens do. Can you imagine how good defensively this team could be by March?Add to it we have guys that can knock down shots.

Sky is the limit for this team. Who knows they may never hit their max potential. HOWEVER, no one that knows basketball could've watched those games & concluded last years group was better unless they willfully shut their eyes in denial!

Much more balanced team more depth and bball IQ. More aggressive. Hungry coach. Faster. Better rebounding and more shooters. Quicker and better defense. More experience. Yeah I would say this year's group has an edge

I could care less what some former UL player or UL fans thinks. Just being around an UL fans makes me feel smarter and that I need to get a shower as soon as possible.

Reactions: UKWildcatT

Shai wouldn’t be the best player on this team. Knox wouldn’t either. Keldon Johnson will be the better overall college player.

I don’t listen to Eaves but he sounds buff hurt.

Reactions: kev69
Adding to what others have said, our offense wasn't very good. When Knox disappeared, SGA would try to force it in the lane. We just didn't have anyone else to generate points. This led to, turnovers and bad shots, I don't think we have any issues this year. We have guys who can hit jumpers, three pointers and some great bigs. You won't be able to keep this team from scoring.

If Herro keeps going like he is I would take him over Knox all day. Knox may be the better pro but I'll take the great college players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT