ADVERTISEMENT

Any speculation on what White and Scan saw on film while prepping for last nights game?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
I mean, UT burned us twice last year on isolating a RB/WR on a LB for 2 TDs. Did White not prepare the team for the same damn play? Did he not see that, when given plenty of time, Hooker is going to make you pay. Did we change up our blitz, did we come with 2 guys from the same side like UT did, did we do much of anything other than stay in base?

I've seen parts of 3 or 4 games of UT this year. How does anyone look at their film and not see that they sell out on the run with run blitzes and go for big plays on defense? High risk/high reward all day. Their pass defense was averaging surrendering 330 yards so one might guess there's a weak spot there or the scheme leaves guys out on an island in man coverage. I'd love to know how many times we threw on first down last night when I could see 6, 7, 8 UT defenders on the LOS on first and second down all night. Where was a dump off right over the LOS to a back or TE when they showed that look? I forget when it happened but Levis took a big hit on a sack when CRod had snuck out of the backfield with no defender within 10 yards. Didn't have to be a precise pass. Just read the damn blitz, know who is supposed to be where and loft it out there for 10+ yards. Especially early on, there were plays to be had and either Levis didn't see the right guy or he saw him too late. For all his resume as a QB guru, Scan has not improved Levis this year, imo. He still forces balls into coverage, still locks on a receiver, still eschews the checkdown even when it saves him taking a hit, still doesn't read the coverage presnap to get his keys and then know where to go with the ball.

What did they see on film to believe the game plan they developed had any chance of working?

Why Dre Phillips is at safety was a bad idea. He got burned early in those go routes by Irving in inside route and let the outside wr go free on a lber

I mean, UT burned us twice last year on isolating a RB/WR on a LB for 2 TDs. Did White not prepare the team for the same damn play? Did he not see that, when given plenty of time, Hooker is going to make you pay. Did we change up our blitz, did we come with 2 guys from the same side like UT did, did we do much of anything other than stay in base?

I've seen parts of 3 or 4 games of UT this year. How does anyone look at their film and not see that they sell out on the run with run blitzes and go for big plays on defense? High risk/high reward all day. Their pass defense was averaging surrendering 330 yards so one might guess there's a weak spot there or the scheme leaves guys out on an island in man coverage. I'd love to know how many times we threw on first down last night when I could see 6, 7, 8 UT defenders on the LOS on first and second down all night. Where was a dump off right over the LOS to a back or TE when they showed that look? I forget when it happened but Levis took a big hit on a sack when CRod had snuck out of the backfield with no defender within 10 yards. Didn't have to be a precise pass. Just read the damn blitz, know who is supposed to be where and loft it out there for 10+ yards. Especially early on, there were plays to be had and either Levis didn't see the right guy or he saw him too late. For all his resume as a QB guru, Scan has not improved Levis this year, imo. He still forces balls into coverage, still locks on a receiver, still eschews the checkdown even when it saves him taking a hit, still doesn't read the coverage presnap to get his keys and then know where to go with the ball.

What did they see on film to believe the game plan they developed had any chance of working?
How come UK never gets their WR/RB isolated on a LB?

Reactions: gamecockcat
The worst part is the two completely gifted tds were the exact same concept they kept getting on bama. Safety bit and they threw it outside.

One before halftime was on Valentine imo. We were rolling a safety to that side but Valentine dropped deep middle too. If he plays his deep 1/3, it's all covered. Of course didn't help we had another special teams meltdown just before. Also imo that shouldve been an illegal shift because the offense lined up, then the two wrs just flipped right before the snap.

Imo given the environment, opponent, and the position they were constantly put in, I didn't think defense played that bad.

Offense trouble is lack of execution. The plays are there. Now the coaches need to find stuff the players can actually execute, but the plays have been there. Oline is bad. Receivers are messing up. Levis is not always making the right read. It takes 11 guys executing. We don’t have that right now.

Offense trouble is lack of execution. The plays are there. Now the coaches need to find stuff the players can actually execute, but the plays have been there. Oline is bad. Receivers are messing up. Levis is not always making the right read. It takes 11 guys executing. We don’t have that right now.
Plays are there huh running the ball into 8 and 9 man fronts on 1st and 2nd down and then throw on 3rd and long when the defense can pin their ears back throwing slants into a zone defense this guy is not the answer at OC and I’ve taken up for him all year until now the play calling last night was pathetic

I think they spent that time watch Love is Blind or something. Because obviously they didn't watch any film

UK fans are extremely slow/hesitant to blame the QB, but that's the source of most of these issues.

This is decent breakdown but I think he missed the real problem. Will saw zone and thought key would sit, so he put it on him instead of letting the route develop. Turns out it was man, the rub would've had key open and we probably have someone wide open in the end zone.

Here is another bad read and probably should've been a pick 6. Missed Bates open for easy throw.

This was wills worst game by far and he's had some poor ones. I get complaining about the coaching, but I actually think our overall route concepts are better than last year. Difference being last year will looked to wandale and took off if he wasn't open. That wasn't really playing QB.

So now the question is do we continue sacrificing the offense to develop one player's NFL potential? Or do we want to do what it takes to win the last few games?

Reactions: entropy13
Van Hiles is absolutely correct. On more than just the two above, there was an open receiver and Will either didn't see him or came to him late. He's gotta be better at taking what the defense is giving. When you see blitz, look at where the Blitzer came from or drop it off to a backing the flat. Don't hold the ball waiting on a WR route that is longer to develop. Take your 5-10 yards all night long.

I heard an NFL analyst say that one of the main reasons Brady is great is that he never gets greedy. If the D lets him throw underneath for 3 or 4 yards, he'll make the same throw 20 times in a row until the defense adjusts and there is something else that's now open. Will gets greedy a lot. Won't consistently hit the short, easier throw for consistent yardage. Always looking to hit a home run. We needed singles and doubles Saturday night.

I don’t believe the OC at Kentucky has seen a single game film in scouting or watched a snap this season.

have we had a different game plan for any game this year or just tried the same stuff every single game and hope we get enough time for the play to work?

hoping hasn’t gotten us very far

I thought VH comment about presnap and immediate post snap was excellent. Will should spend those split seconds looking at and reading the defense THEN he'll know the most likely receiver to be open and he can then find him. You don't take the snap and immediately go through the progressions. You read the defense first and that process starts when you break the huddle. Doesn't appear Will is doing that. Too many times he doesn't sense the pressure or throws directly into coverage when another receiver is open.

I thought VH comment about presnap and immediate post snap was excellent. Will should spend those split seconds looking at and reading the defense THEN he'll know the most likely receiver to be open and he can then find him. You don't take the snap and immediately go through the progressions. You read the defense first and that process starts when you break the huddle. Doesn't appear Will is doing that. Too many times he doesn't sense the pressure or throws directly into coverage when another receiver is open.

He has zero presnap recognition. None. It causes tons of the issues we have in our offense

ADVERTISEMENT