ADVERTISEMENT

Any Scrimmage Reports??

Aug 28, 2018
With the first weekend of scrimmages in the books, did anyone go? Any reports? specifically on the Juco Transfers and Freshman

It would be really great if we could get some regular updates, so we can follow how things are going. This would be really great for this team especially because there will be so much more competition than in other years. A lot of players will have to be cut and there are a ton of open spots on the lineup sheet. Would love to see someone be able to report regularly, at least one a weekend.

It would be really great if we could get some regular updates, so we can follow how things are going. This would be really great for this team especially because there will be so much more competition than in other years. A lot of players will have to be cut and there are a ton of open spots on the lineup sheet. Would love to see someone be able to report regularly, at least one a weekend.

What do you mean "A LOT OF PLAYERS WILL HAVE TO BE CUT" ? Arn't they all on scholarship?

Not in Baseball... only 11.7 Scholarships split among 27 players. The other 8 players are walk ons. They currently have about 47 players in fall camp and roster limit is 35

^^ Yep, baseball is a different animal and is kind of brutal. So, they will have a ton of competition regarding who actually makes the 35 man roster, and then among those who will actually contribute and who will redshirt. On top of that, we lost basically every starter from a year ago. Johnson and Shinn are the only two returning in the field and they both played right field, and Johnson is actually moving to pitcher. We also have two SEC/weekend rotation spots and a closer spot to fill. So, tons of roles will need to be defined this fall, and it should be a lot of fun seeing that happen. Will be interesting to see where everyone is when the dust settles come Jan/Feb.

I was at every scrimmage this weekend, but I only kept tabs on one player.

I can say that Ming was not happy with defense on Friday, not happy with pitchers on Saturday and catchers on Sunday. Everyone is struggling right now with batting, but it's only 3 games in. They are all working on new batting stances, new approaches, etc. Homeruns have been Kessler, Shin, and T. Johnson. One of the homeruns wouldn't be a homerun at the new field.

Not in Baseball... only 11.7 Scholarships split among 27 players. The other 8 players are walk ons. They currently have about 47 players in fall camp and roster limit is 35

No I knew that. But I just assumed the scholarship money was distributed amongst the 35 roster players.

No I knew that. But I just assumed the scholarship money was distributed amongst the 35 roster players.

I am not entirely sure how the scholarships are distributed, but they aren't evenly distributed. I am sure some have much larger proportions because they were bigger prospects. Not sure how many of the 47, and the eventual 35 are or will be non-scholarship players.

I was at every scrimmage this weekend, but I only kept tabs on one player.

I can say that Ming was not happy with defense on Friday, not happy with pitchers on Saturday and catchers on Sunday. Everyone is struggling right now with batting, but it's only 3 games in. They are all working on new batting stances, new approaches, etc. Homeruns have been Kessler, Shin, and T. Johnson. One of the homeruns wouldn't be a homerun at the new field.

Hahaha, well you have to focus on what is important. I can certainly understand everyone struggling with hitting. Coming back from seeing summer pitching and summer umpires and trying to key back in on pitches and things like that, and also adjust back into what coaches want you to do at the plate can make things difficult.

Reactions: chill133
I am not entirely sure how the scholarships are distributed, but they aren't evenly distributed. I am sure some have much larger proportions because they were bigger prospects. Not sure how many of the 47, and the eventual 35 are or will be non-scholarship players.

NCAA requires at least 25% for a scholarship. Yes, even players that have large scholarships can be cut though, more than likely they won't be, most will be redshirted, but it can happen especially if they cause problems. Highest scholarships are usually given to pitchers. What sucks is baseball is not a full-ride like basketball/football. They convert your percentage into a dollar amount based on cost-of-attendance. Then they distribute that amount between books, tuition, room and board, and personal expenses.

You also only have your scholarship for 1 year. It can be renewed every year for less/more or they can waive it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Comebakatz3
NCAA requires at least 25% for a scholarship. Yes, even players that have large scholarships can be cut though, more than likely they won't be, most will be redshirted, but it can happen especially if they cause problems. Highest scholarships are usually given to pitchers. What sucks is baseball is not a full-ride like basketball/football. They convert your percentage into a dollar amount based on cost-of-attendance. Then they distribute that amount between books, tuition, room and board, and personal expenses.

You also only have your scholarship for 1 year. It can be renewed every year for less/more or they can waive it.

Thanks. I didn't know that about the 25 percent.

If redshirted... does that count against the 35 roster? And against scholarship money?

If redshirted... does that count against the 35 roster? And against scholarship money?

Redshirts don't count against 35 man roster, but does count against scholarship money. You can be red-shirted but still be on scholarship.

Also, only 27 can be on the SEC travel roster.

I had a conversation with someone last night. The 25% is not correct. I was told most money goes to high recruited pitchers. Most kids get some money but not 25%. Some kids don't get any. Also academic money comes into play more than scholarship money.

I had a conversation with someone last night. The 25% is not correct. I was told most money goes to high recruited pitchers. Most kids get some money but not 25%. Some kids don't get any. Also academic money comes into play more than scholarship money.

I think that what chill was saying was that if the school gives an actual athletic scholarship, so one of the 11.7 they can actually give, then they have to give a minimum of 25 percent. The school doesn't have to give an athletic scholarship, and so some baseball players may get nothing. I imagine that the baseball coach and the school do try to get some academic scholarships so that to supplement their players.

Here is an article that has a little bit of a mention about scholarships and the minimum and such: https://www.journalnow.com/college-...cle_20fdcfe8-db67-5875-80d5-3e5c6013f51f.html

Reactions: chill133
That article is pretty interesting and really makes me wonder how in the world Vanderbilt has done such a great job in recruiting. If you look at their classes they are almost always top 5 and they are regularly pulling in top 100 guys, who forgo the draft to go to Vanderbilt. I think I read or heard somewhere the other day that a player was going to be a second round draft pick, but he told the team that was going to draft him that he was going to Vandy instead. Just mindblowing that they can bring in kids like that, especially given the high costs associated with attending Vanderbilt.

That article is pretty interesting and really makes me wonder how in the world Vanderbilt has done such a great job in recruiting. If you look at their classes they are almost always top 5 and they are regularly pulling in top 100 guys, who forgo the draft to go to Vanderbilt. I think I read or heard somewhere the other day that a player was going to be a second round draft pick, but he told the team that was going to draft him that he was going to Vandy instead. Just mindblowing that they can bring in kids like that, especially given the high costs associated with attending Vanderbilt.
Vandy has pretty much the same type of thing that Kendall Rogers tweeted about that Rice just instituted....

Here is his tweet.....
Some interesting baseball-related news. @RiceUniversity announced free tuition for families making $65K-$130K and families making $130K-$200K can now get half of their tuition paid for.

The 25% is a minimum for it to be considered a scholarship, part of the 11.7 limit

Also, a big thing that comes into play is in-state and out-of-state tuition costs. That's why they try and recruit in-state first because you can give that player less of a scholarship because his costs is less to attend. They always try and see if they can get academic money first, of course, it saves their monies.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
maybe there is some academic sponsorship money in there?

ADVERTISEMENT