ADVERTISEMENT

Any runners in The Paddock?

Been running my whole life, and racing for 15 years, with increasing intensity each passing year.

About 2,000 miles per year. Probably 30+ each of half marathons, full marathons, 50 milers, and 7 100 milers as well.

As I've gotten older (turn 40 this year), I've taken cross training and diet more seriously, and am faster, stronger, and healthier than ever. I've had plenty of aches and pains that have sidelined me a few weeks here and there, but thus far, my most serious injury has been a stress reaction. Basically, my ankle was sore.

I love it. I've met tons of amazing people, traveled all over the country, and had so many awesome experiences.
Lot less painful ways to travel and meet people. I’ve already met enough people, anyway.

I used to run. Now I just jog, walk, or do spin classes. For years, my routine was to go for a 50 min run on my lunch hour. Now, just 30 min and much slower.

I never liked 5ks and other running events. I miss feeling like I can push my body harder.

Phidippides agrees with that thought 100%

You should read your own link, genius.

The Athens, vastly outnumbered, desperately needed the help of Sparta's military base to help fend off the attack. Time was short, so the Athenian generals send Phidippides (or Philippides) a professional runner to Sparta to ask for help. The 140 mile course was very mountainous and rugged. Phidippides ran the course in about 36 hours. Sparta agreed to help but said they would not take the field until the moon was full due to religious laws. This would leave the Athenians alone to fight the Persian Army. Phidippides ran back to Athens (another 140 miles!) with the disappointing news. Immediately, the small Athenian Army (including Phidippedes) marched to the plains of Marathon to prepare for battle.

Most would agree that running 280ish miles over extremely rugged terrain is not good for the body.

The verdict may still be out on the 26.2 distance.

I know I shouldn't take the bait, and yet I continue to over and over again. The ignorance of the "running is bad for you" crowd just kills me.

We live in a country that is plagued by epidemic, widespread conditions like heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes that are not only 95% preventable, but also almost completely unique to our country. We're a nation of painkiller addicted fatasses.

So pretty much --> go F yourselves.

...There isn't another animal on this planet whose body is more perfectly designed to run long distances...

Define "long distances."

A pronghorn could probably run a marathon in under 30 minutes.

How fast could it do one of your 100 milers? Who knows? How do you convince a pronghorn to run 100 miles?

Edit: I Googled it, and a couple of sources estimate a pronghorn's marathon time would be about 45 minutes.

Last edited:
It is, actually.

There isn't another animal on this planet whose body is more perfectly designed to run long distances.

As for damage over years and years of exertion -- there are all kinds of conflicting studies, but I'm not sure anyone has adequately addressed the issue of intensity in endurance sports. EX: the amount of damage from Runner X setting a 26.2-mile PR, and the same runner simply jogging a 26.2-mile race at a comfortable pace. Using common sense, I believe the former isn't good for your body, which is why you rarely see anyone attempt to do such a thing more than 1-2 times per year, while the latter is likely just fine.
I've done about 2 dozen marathons (2:50:13 PR) and a dozen Ironman triathlons (9:58:51 PR) as well as countless shorter races. Never any ultras! But I can attest that running that 2:50 marathon was 10x harder on my body than the 10 hour IM (3:35 run split) simply because of the intensity. Hell, the worst is running a fast 5K! Used to run regularly in the high 16s and wanted to puke at the end. I always said I ran 5Ks best with a hangover. You already feel like shit so it wasn't like you were going to feel any worse going hard!

I found cycling to be good way to reduce the wear and tear of running on the body and I actually started running faster in my late 30's and early 40's when I took up triathlon and was running few miles per week but pumping out 150-200 miles or so on the bike.

Curious as to how some of you would do in a marathon. I couldn’t run a mile without passing out. NBC peeked my interest this morning when the said an American women had won the Boston Marathon. At first, I thought she had actually beaten everyone. The actual winner was a Japanese dude with a time of 2:15:53. The American gal had a time of 2:39:53. How the hell can anyone run 26 miles in 2:39? Anyway, congrats to our American winner.
I believe it is piqued isn't it?
I
What’s the second “I” for?

Don't feel bad, most folks would struggle running a 14 second 100 yard dash. Why do I bring that up? I'm sure the runners in here are familiar with Nike's "Sub-2" marathon exhibition. Basically, Nike got some of the world's best marathoners together and paced them on a flat course in an attempt to see if a human could go under 2 hours for a marathon. Eliud Kipchoge almost did it -- missed it by only 25 seconds, i.e. less than 1 second per mile.

So here's the incredible part...broken down, Kipchoge averaged a 13.67 second 100 yard dash for the course. Now obviously that's not Usain Bolt territory, not even close, but try to run a 13.5 second 100 yard dash and you'll be sucking wind. Badly.

Kipchoge ran 461 consecutive 13.67 second 100 yard dashes.

Another perspective on this:

He averaged a 4:35 mile. AVERAGED

The percentage of people with an ability to run ONE mile at 4:35 is extremely, extremely small. When I ran my 2:56 marathon, I maybe could have gotten close to that for one mile.....maybe.

Reactions: -Mav-
He averaged a 4:35 mile. AVERAGED
I mean that's beyond amazing just from a purely physiologic/metabolic standpoint, without taking into account the mental strength required. How does someone prepare himself mentally knowing that, from the starting gun, he's gonna have to average 4:35/mile to achieve his goal? Just towing the line with that on your mind takes huge cojones.

I run every other day...but let me say tis, I HATE RUNNING! Why do I do it? Cardiovascular...that's it! I keep telling the cardiologist... I hate it...she smiles and tells me to keep doing it. People talk about a "Running High"...the closest I've ever had to that was running in the Rocky Mountains...which was probably just a lack of oxygen. Anyway, to those that love it...[thumb2]

I run every other day...but let me say tis, I HATE RUNNING! Why do I do it? Cardiovascular...that's it! I keep telling the cardiologist... I hate it...she smiles and tells me to keep doing it. People talk about a "Running High"...the closest I've ever had to that was running in the Rocky Mountains...which was probably just a lack of oxygen. Anyway, to those that love it...[thumb2]
Smoking a blunt and jogging. Dat my high

I'll admit that I've run 1000s of miles and never have experienced anything I would consider a "running high". There are those times when I fall into a grove and feel like I could run forever...maybe that's it?

There are other ways to get cardio. I've gotten to the point where my body doesn't like me very well if I run every day thus why I continue to bike and swim. Regardless, be it running or biking I can't do the same loop or route day after day. I get out to the trails and run when possible. Put a gun to my head before I'll jump on a treadmill...it cannot be too cold or too hot to run outside. Groups...if you can find other people to go it can serve as an incentive to get out and it breaks up the monotony.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
I've ran several 5K's but never a marathon. I keep saying I am going to try a 1/2 someday. I'm really not that fast though. My best 5K time was in the 23 minute range.

ADVERTISEMENT