ADVERTISEMENT

Any runners in The Paddock?

Bill - Shy Cat

All-American
Mar 29, 2002
Curious as to how some of you would do in a marathon. I couldn’t run a mile without passing out. NBC peeked my interest this morning when the said an American women had won the Boston Marathon. At first, I thought she had actually beaten everyone. The actual winner was a Japanese dude with a time of 2:15:53. The American gal had a time of 2:39:53. How the hell can anyone run 26 miles in 2:39? Anyway, congrats to our American winner.

Curious as to how some of you would do in a marathon. I couldn’t run a mile without passing out. NBC peeked my interest this morning when the said an American women had won the Boston Marathon. At first, I thought she had actually beaten everyone. The actual winner was a Japanese dude with a time of 2:15:53. The American gal had a time of 2:39:53. How the hell can anyone run 26 miles in 2:39? Anyway, congrats to our American winner.
I believe it is piqued isn't it?
I

We had a running thread, but it's probably on page 3 now. One of my friends ran Boston in 3:36 yesterday - she's tough as nails.

I'm training for a 40 miler in May and a 50 miler in November. Terribly slow though.

Qualifying for Boston is an achievement, there are a few here who have or who could. I'm not one of them.

main-qimg-e740ce9245b36b9c4a0eae9d9a0c115f-c

I go on beer runs, does that count?

Kudos to you though, I'd easily die on a 40 mile run

Used to be pretty serious, several half marathons but pretty much agree with the above on marathons . . . sounds like torture to me.

The weather in Boston was just absolutely brutal, times were slower than molasses, probably why the US woman won, but she had been runner up in 2011 I think.

26 miles in windy, rainy, sleeting conditions, 35 degrees or so plus 25 MPH winds. Ugh, no thanks. [sick]

I am a walker and do about 4 miles a day with about 15 min. per mile average. I walked a Half Marathon once and that did me in!!!

I wish I enjoyed it more. I envy guys that can just casually go out and run on pavement for an hour or more; that has to be therapeutic as hell. Have to be pretty damn tough mentally and physically to build up that kind of endurance.

I do a sort of modified HIIT training so I can get it over with while maintaining some sort of cardiovascular health.

Apparently Bill Nye was also a f**king weirdo when he was younger -- and thank goodness his flopping sausage was cropped out when I quoted your post, not that there's anything wrong with that.
He should have put that roll of dimes and two walnuts in his pocket it just left them at home.

Reactions: -Mav-
i used to run cross country. hated it. Now I roller blade. They are way more fun than even that movie where they roller blade in cincinatti....

Not sure it's exactly the same, but a fair point.
Their research showed that high- exercise sessions lasting longer than one to two hours can overload the heart. After years of excessive exercise, thickening of the heart tissue may develop. In some cases, this scar tissue can create the possibility of dangerous irregular

heartbeat and even sudden death.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/is-running-marathons-bad-for-your-health/

-thats exactly what happened to John Henry, iirc.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
The article also starts out telling all the benefits of moderate running which is the category 95% all runners fall in.

Last edited:
My wife runs an occasional marathon - she did the USMC marathon last year. Not fast, but still...
I run with her up to ten miles on the weekend, which is all my knees wrecked from basketball can take.

My theory on running:
A. Anyone who runs fewer miles a week than me is basically just lazy and soft.
B. Anyone who runs the same amount of miles a week as me is an athlete maintaining his heart and body in an excellent fashion.
C. Anybody who runs more miles a week than me is a foolish fanatic who might as well be in a religious cult and will likely drop dead from over exertion. I include my wife in C, but she laughs at me and says, "See A."

I run between 15-20 miles a week depending on work and weather. Just enough to stay in shape and ready for the next 5K. I have ran three halves and a full, but doubt I ever do either again. I am not breaking any records, but it keeps my waist line manageable and my mind sharp.

Terrible for the body.
Cult-like following.
Goofy short shorts and fluorescent hats
Anorexia

I’m all in!!!

I can't imagine running marathons is good for your feet and knees, and even heart. Plenty of medical publications would agree, and I'm sure some have findings that say it's no problem at all.

.. but I'm not taking that chance so I can put a 26.2 bumper sticker on my car.

I'll stick to jogs, hiking and swimming the 1600.

Been running my whole life, and racing for 15 years, with increasing intensity each passing year.

About 2,000 miles per year. Probably 30+ each of half marathons, full marathons, 50 milers, and 7 100 milers as well.

As I've gotten older (turn 40 this year), I've taken cross training and diet more seriously, and am faster, stronger, and healthier than ever. I've had plenty of aches and pains that have sidelined me a few weeks here and there, but thus far, my most serious injury has been a stress reaction. Basically, my ankle was sore.

I love it. I've met tons of amazing people, traveled all over the country, and had so many awesome experiences.

There’s no way the human body is made to run 26.2 miles. It’s not

It is, actually.

There isn't another animal on this planet whose body is more perfectly designed to run long distances.

As for damage over years and years of exertion -- there are all kinds of conflicting studies, but I'm not sure anyone has adequately addressed the issue of intensity in endurance sports. EX: the amount of damage from Runner X setting a 26.2-mile PR, and the same runner simply jogging a 26.2-mile race at a comfortable pace. Using common sense, I believe the former isn't good for your body, which is why you rarely see anyone attempt to do such a thing more than 1-2 times per year, while the latter is likely just fine.

I did some running back in my younger days. I guess I had pretty good luck. Never got caught by the cops and made some good money.

I couldn’t run a mile without passing out.
Don't feel bad, most folks would struggle running a 14 second 100 yard dash. Why do I bring that up? I'm sure the runners in here are familiar with Nike's "Sub-2" marathon exhibition. Basically, Nike got some of the world's best marathoners together and paced them on a flat course in an attempt to see if a human could go under 2 hours for a marathon. Eliud Kipchoge almost did it -- missed it by only 25 seconds, i.e. less than 1 second per mile.

So here's the incredible part...broken down, Kipchoge averaged a 13.67 second 100 yard dash for the course. Now obviously that's not Usain Bolt territory, not even close, but try to run a 13.5 second 100 yard dash and you'll be sucking wind. Badly.

Kipchoge ran 461 consecutive 13.67 second 100 yard dashes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT