ADVERTISEMENT

Any news/rumors/scuttlebutt coming out of the scrimmage last Saturday?

Couch was a very accurate passer, of course, but I never thought he had a particularly strong arm.

Hmmm.

That might be because Mumme’s system focused so much on flat passes, quick screens, and dump offs behind the LOS.

I was working in Hyden the day Couch’s county team played Cov. Catholic in the state playoffs in 1994, Couch’s Junior year in HS.

He was already a legend, and by pure happenstance, a guy I had to talk to that day was his offensive coordinator, a high officer in the local bank. He invited me to watch the game from the “Quarterback Club” area, high above the field on what some would call a mountaintop.

Cov. Catholic beat the brakes off them, getting consistent pressure on Couch.

But in warmups, Couch stood in the endzone, throwing pass after pass past the opposite 40 yard line, 65 to 70 yards. He was in the middle of the endzone, at the plane, and his receivers were catching the passes right against the Cov. Catholic sideline, so those were angled 65 to 70 yard passes.

The other distinct recollection I have of that night is that the Cov. Catholic student body —all male— and hundreds were bussed in for the game—loudly and accurately sang the National Anthem, until the song ended. They then substituted “Home of the COLONELS” (or what ever the f@&k their moniker is) for “Home of the Brave,” utterly pissing off the home crowd.

Another odd recollection: the school was on top of the mountain, but the field was in the valley, with a small creek on one end. Because the school was so much higher in elevation, the teams went behind the respective end zones, instead of walking 200/300 feet upwards in elevation to the school building. They had porta potties and heaters for each team’s halftime “area.”

I asked a local why Couch’s team used the end nearest the small creek.

He said it was so “Tim can walk on the water.”

Last edited:
Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I remember listening to Dave Baker on WVLK years ago stating that he saw Tim Couch, with a knee on the ground at the 50, hit the cross-bar twice. That’s 60 yards in the air, hitting a bar 10 feet off the ground, making the distance farther.

Have you ever watched the NFL QB skills competition and seen how far those guys can throw a football ... with a running start? That tells you all you need to know.

I also remember hearing that Jeff Snedegar could throw a pass 70 yards. He was a stud.

He would do that in high school his sr year..

The legend(s)I heard, but did not see, was that Couch could take a knee at the 40, and hit the crossbar. But that JLo could do so from the 50!!
Stories like this abound everywhere, but there are never any videos. Jamarcus Russell is said to have thrown it close to 80 yards from a knee. Why no videos, especially with all of the phones with cameras ?? There are many strong-armed quarterbacks, but throwing such distances without full leg support seems a stretch to me. However, I realize MLB catchers have consistently thrown out base-runners at second base from their knees. Some athletes are amazing !!

Stories like this abound everywhere, but there are never any videos. Jamarcus Russell is said to have thrown it close to 80 yards from a knee. Why no videos, especially with all of the phones with cameras ?? There are many strong-armed quarterbacks, but throwing such distances without full leg support seems a stretch to me. However, I realize MLB catchers have consistently thrown out base-runners at second base from their knees. Some athletes are amazing !!
True that. Was said Ivan Rodriguez could throw 90 MPH to 2d from his knees...never saw it actually clocked. Still a great player.

I had the pleasure of calling one of Couch’s games when he was in high school. He had a canon with touch. I’ll just leave it at that.

Reactions: The-Hack and DubyaT
Did they actually scrimmage? I wasn't sure if the coaches elected to scrimmage or delay it.
Was not a scrimmage, but it was about two hours of offense versus defense. Was an overcast snd rainy session. I thought our QBs looked good. All of them looked good. Good accurate passing. Allen had two interceptions. One was tipped. And the other was a great defensive play. Receivers caught almost every ball thrown their way.

it was a spirited practice session with everyone tacking like it was in-game. No tackling of red-shirted QBs

was a lot of fun watching them practice. Both offense and defense looked fast and they were really having a lot of fun

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT