ADVERTISEMENT

Another look at that 41-6 win.

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
It might not mean much, when the season is done, but that 35 point win over Ohio U. is our biggest point spread win since 2021, when we beat New Mexico State by more.

That Ohio U team lost to open the season by 16 at Syracuse, and won their other two games against South Alabama and Morgan State. They are coming back from a bowl winning season in 2023.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
I still remember Dorian baker having to basically moss an eku defender in the final seconds to save us from losing to them.

Yeah, there have been several closer than expected scores. Ajian’s lengthy pick-six was the difference against Chattanooga, who led most of a game a few seasons back, and we beat Northern Illinois by 8 points two years ago.

Letting our G5 and even some FCS programs essentially equal our points-surrendered defensive average for a season has been frustrating.

S
It might not mean much, when the season is done, but that 35 point win over Ohio U. is our biggest point spread win since 2021, when we beat New Mexico State by more.

That Ohio U team lost to open the season by 16 at Syracuse, and won their other two games against South Alabama and Morgan State. They are coming back from a bowl winning season in 2023.
South alabama put up like 80 a week or 2 ago

That had escaped me.

At least we didn’t make a second stringer look like a Heisman candidate.
No but watching the game I rememer thinking this kids is not that bad. Made a couple of bad mistakes but had some talent and threw it pretty well.

A key indicator this uk squad is very good? We finally completely dominated ooc opponents. Years past we would let them hang around forever. I still remember Dorian baker having to basically moss an eku defender in the final seconds to save us from losing to them.I
In these situations I alwasy fall back on my golf theory about resistance level. Its really hard to get anything from results when the resistance levels are far apart. We'll win a game like that and then struggle against a better team and folks are like, what happened to our Oline!!!

Sorry if you've heard this before but in golf if you put the ball 100 yards from the green sitting up pretty in the fairway with no wind, I'm going to look pretty good and can get it near the whole most of the time. Now you toss that same ball in the thick rough and add 15 MPH wind in my face and it aint gonna turnout the same. Same talent, same equipment, same swing . . . I was the same but the resistance was different.

Thats why this Ole Miss game will be so interesting. Out defense showed we could stand up to some resistance against UGA, but our offense still struggleld, so can they step up to a new level agains a defense that is somewhere between Ohio and UGA. This week its liek our ball is in the first cut of rough with a little mud on the ball but doable.

Yes they won a bowl in 2023. BUT, only two starters combined from both sides of the ball returned. NOT the same team that won 10 games in 2023. And it shows. Barely got by a terrible Morgan State team.

Out defense showed we could stand up to some resistance against UGA, but our offense still struggleld, so can they step up to a new level agains a defense that is somewhere between Ohio and UGA.

Strangely, Ole Miss is ranked very high defensively, but played all their G5/FCS the first 4 weeks.

We are their first real challenge.

Though early in his time at Ole Miss, the Rebs barely squeezed by us in 2000 and 2001, being especially lucky on our trip to Oxford in 2001.

Strangely, Ole Miss is ranked very high defensively, but played all their G5/FCS the first 4 weeks.

We are their first real challenge.

Though early in his time at Ole Miss, the Rebs barely squeezed by us in 2000 and 2001, being especially lucky on our trip to Oxford in 2001.
Huh??!? In 2000, we played in Oxford and in 2001 in Lexington. I think you lost some years and are referring to 2020 and 2022.

Huh??!? In 2000, we played in Oxford and in 2001 in Lexington. I think you lost some years and are referring to 2020 and 2022.

I left out a “2,” or two!?!

In 2020, we went to overtime and missed an extra point kick that would have extended the overtime, and in 2022, had multiple close missed opportunities in the 4th Q IIRC.

I was in the “crowd” for the Ole Miss-Covid game in 2020, huffing through my mask.

In these situations I alwasy fall back on my golf theory about resistance level. Its really hard to get anything from results when the resistance levels are far apart. We'll win a game like that and then struggle against a better team and folks are like, what happened to our Oline!!!

Sorry if you've heard this before but in golf if you put the ball 100 yards from the green sitting up pretty in the fairway with no wind, I'm going to look pretty good and can get it near the whole most of the time. Now you toss that same ball in the thick rough and add 15 MPH wind in my face and it aint gonna turnout the same. Same talent, same equipment, same swing . . . I was the same but the resistance was different.

Thats why this Ole Miss game will be so interesting. Out defense showed we could stand up to some resistance against UGA, but our offense still struggleld, so can they step up to a new level agains a defense that is somewhere between Ohio and UGA. This week its liek our ball is in the first cut of rough with a little mud on the ball but doable.
I love a good golf analogy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT