ADVERTISEMENT

Another great "What if?" Rick Pitino edition

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
In 2001, Rick Pitino was all set to go to the University of Michigan as their head coach. He even signed an agreement to be their coach. Tom Jurich was persistent and offered a lot of money and power. Rick's wife pushed him hard to take the Louisville job because they did not know anyone at in Michigan and she loved Kentucky.

This was an interesting quote from an article in 2013
"I said to her, 'You don't understand, the (former) Kentucky coach can't coach at Louisville. You're just not getting it.' She said, 'It's one game every year, and every other year you have to visit. What's the big deal?' I said, 'It's a big deal. We don't want to do that. We'll be miserable. You don't want to put yourself in that situation.'

But he did listen ....
Just say WHAT IF he goes to Ann Arbor:

-We don't hate him, we actually cheer for him secret
-Tubby's struggles add more pressure on him every single year w/ Rick up north
-Louisville does not join the Big East and gets a B+/C+ level coach
-By 2005-06 Rupp Rafters would be lit up with wanting Rick back to Kentucky
-When Tubby leaves, Rick probably gets the first call to be head coach and probably takes it because there is not much hatred for him
-The YUM Center is not built because UofL is not a huge draw without Rick.
-Likewise, UofL does not join the ACC
-The Sypher/Katina/Bowen scandals probably never happen? (Sypher maybe..but if he's up north do they do that?)
-We probably think Cal is a cheater and we don't get to see him flourish as the master marketer he is at a small program like Memphis. Who is to say we don't see Cal at another blue blood?
-Louisville is not even really a hated rival like they are now, we just view them as Little Brother in the AAC that we play once a year in that old Freedom Hall

And then today, we are celebrating and bragging about our legendary coach who we will all say is better than Coach K. With the resources/brand of Kentucky back in his pocket, he is probably recruiting at an elite level (Not Calipari level though) and we are running through the SEC.

But like all What ifs...that's what they are...it is crazy to think how him picking Michigan could've changed the course of 2 programs.

Reactions: jedwar
I like to think about the possibilities of UK if Pimptino never left to begin with. UK is closer to UCLA in the titles race and PImptino would have more titles than K as well. Truly believe that.
We've won two since he left. It would be hard to convince me he would have won three after 1996.

We've won two since he left. It would be hard to convince me he would have won three after 1996.
I agree. In 16 years at Louisville he won 0 titles. He might have left UK in shambles just like he did Louisville. Glad he never stayed or came back to Kentucky.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
kfc_pnito.jpg

This makes it sound like you’re wishing he had taken the Michigan job so he could’ve hopefully ended up back in Lexington after Tubby left. To hell with Rick! Give me Cal any day of the week!

I don't believe him. Blaming his wife. Typical Rick, never taking responsibility for his bs actions.

His ego is what brought him to UL. He honestly believed he could waltz back in state and topple the greatest bball program of all time and the BBN.

He failed...miserably.

Last edited:
I think we were lucky he left for Boston and I am not looking back or wondering what if. I think he has a serious character flaw that would have spelled his doom even at UK. He was bound to end up in the ditch because he has mental issues. We should be thankful he left and never returned.

Reactions: crestcat
If it happened like you said then there is a good chance Calipari could have ended up at UL instead of here. How would UL with Calipari do against a mid 2,000's Pitino at UK? I'm happy with the way things worked out.

ADVERTISEMENT