ADVERTISEMENT

Another Coach Opts Out of Bowl Game

This is killing the sport. “Me first” society shaking my head.

Going to make this a running thread of coaches opting out.
I can’t say I like it but with the early signing period I can understand why a newly hired coach would prefer to focus on getting his first signing class squared away rather than his former employer’s bowl game.

This is killing the sport. “Me first” society shaking my head. NIL, transfer portal, and stuff like this will be the end of college football.

Orange is a major accomplishment, I’d probably be okay with skipping the lower tier bowls. If we make NY6 or Playoffs I doubt I could leave my team. But I was raised not to ever leave my guys hanging when I played. And as a coach I would feel the same assuming they want me to coach.

I can’t say I like it but with the early signing period I can understand why a newly hired coach would prefer to focus on getting his first signing class squared away rather than his former employer’s bowl game.
They did it before early signing day though

Bowls don't matter any more, especially with the 12 team playoff on its way, just like continuity in a coaching staff, facilities, and "culture" being way over rated when it comes to recruiting with the implementation of NIL, and its never going back to the old wayyy.... the game has changed, whether you like it or not, im not a fan of all the changes but it is what it is, get used to it

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
It’s Huepal’s offense. He will just call the plays. Can’t blame the guy for wanting to get to work with his team. He will be judged by what he does next year not how Tenn fairs in the Orange Bowl

Reactions: john4uk and Cat06
Btw, this is all sarcasm.

I wanted to highlight how we get mad at unpaid players for doing this but rarely ever made an issue for coaches doing it. Call a spade a spade. If one is “quitting on the team” then so is the other.

• Love
Reactions: rudd1 and The-Hack
Bowls don't matter any more, especially with the 12 team playoff on its way, just like continuity in a coaching staff, facilities, and "culture" being way over rated when it comes to recruiting with the implementation of NIL, and its never going back to the old wayyy.... the game has changed, whether you like it or not, im not a fan of all the changes but it is what it is, get used to it
Dead wrong. Bowls matter a lot because they give the team a pre-bowl camp with extra practices. Everyone in the business knows these extra practices are important for lots of reasons including getting a postseason look at redshirts and other younger players who have made progress on the team's depth chart and in the future plans. It sets up the new depth chart for spring practice and gives all of the players another chance to compete.

As far as the bowl game itself, it brings media coverage to the team during recruiting season. This doesn't always make much of a difference, but it can make a difference for some classes and transfers in some years. You can ask Will Levis if watching UK beat his PA St team in the Citrus Bowl gave him a favorable impression of UK when he entered the transfer portal. Levis is 17-7 as UK's starting QB. He has said that the Citrus Bowl opened his eyes about UK.

Coaches have taken new jobs and skipped their old team's bowl games for decades, nothing new. As for the TN OC, Chumlee calls the plays....after a trip to the buffet. This guy was a figurehead.

Not sure these faux arguments work anymore. Players get paid - players can transfer very easily. Players don’t get fired/cut even with these new updates.

Players have it good. Coaches have it good.

College football needs to change some timelines. Change the signing date, change when bowl games are played, change when players can transfer, none of this crap about quitting on your team 4 games into the season to preserve a redshirt just so you can transfer to a new team.

He has a team to put together before next year. So I can’t say I blame him to much.
This.. Nothing wrong with him focusing on his new job. In fact if his focus isn't 100% on preparing for the bowl game,he is better off stepping aside.

College football needs to change some timelines. Change the signing date, change when bowl games are played, change when players can transfer, none of this crap about quitting on your team 4 games into the season to preserve a redshirt just so you can transfer to a new team.
I agree. They shouldn't be able to transfer til after the championship game! I have no problem with them transferring to get a better opportunity to play, but this transferring to get a bigger pay day will destroy the sport.

I agree. They shouldn't be able to transfer til after the championship game! I have no problem with them transferring to get a better opportunity to play, but this transferring to get a bigger pay day will destroy the sport.
At least don’t let them transfer until after the season is over. Now the bowl games are just exhibitions between the portal opening on December 5th and players opting out for the draft.

Not sure these faux arguments work anymore. Players get paid - players can transfer very easily. Players don’t get fired/cut even with these new updates.

Players have it good. Coaches have it good.
Players aren’t employees being paid market rates with the help from agents driving up their fees. They don’t make $5 plus million a year unless top 0.01% if that.

This isn’t a faux argument. Getting paid guaranteed millions compared to being the spokesmen for a local heating and air business or car dealership isn’t comparable.

An honest statement would be “players have it a little better than before while coaches have it better than ever.”

This is killing the sport. “Me first” society shaking my head. NIL, transfer portal, and stuff
This is killing the sport. “Me first” society shaking my head. NIL, transfer portal, and stuff like this will be the end of college football.

While I would obviously prefer Golesh coach in the Orange Bowl, I certainly understand his need to get started with his new job with ESD only a couple of weeks away. Not sure how this is on the same level with NIL and the portal as newly hired HCs have been opting out of bowls for years. David Cutcliffe didn't coach in the BCS championship game against FSU after being hired by Ole Miss after the '98 season. And obviously the fans of USF, since Golesh is now their HC, want him focused on USF, putting his staff together, and recruiting. When UT hired Pruitt, who stayed with Bama to coach in the CFP, most UT fans were not happy. And while Golesh leaving is an inconvenience, Heupel will have no trouble calling plays in the bowl game.

Players aren’t employees being paid market rates with the help from agents driving up their fees. They don’t make $5 plus million a year unless top 0.01% if that.

This isn’t a faux argument. Getting paid guaranteed millions compared to being the spokesmen for a local heating and air business or car dealership isn’t comparable.

An honest statement would be “players have it a little better than before while coaches have it better than ever.”
Guess I don’t understand your being offended by the set up. Are coaches overpaid? Likely.

What do you want? College players making more than the coaches? What more do you want for college players? If so unfair, what is keeping them in these unfair scenarios anymore?

Guess I don’t understand your being offended by the set up.

[…] What do you want?
For the sake of this thread? Nothing more than making the point that some get mad online for players “quitting” on bowls but not coaches “quitting”. I’m poking fun at the common blind spot.

Can argue other compensation points in other threads.

Think Jamie Chadwell will coach Coastal Carolina in their bowl game or moving straight to Liberty?

I’m all for assistants taking over their head coaching roles as soon as they can.

Leaving those 105 players with no leadership for an extra month is a lot more detrimental to players than an assistant leaving.

May be able to having player evaluation meetings to let players know if they will be a part of the plans moving forward or allow them to move on without wasting their time.

This isn’t a black and white, coach is selfish if leaves early.

If they didn’t want to have coaches and players treating it like a business, then they shouldn’t have made it a business.

I'm confused as to what he's supposed to do. If you accept a HC position, you have to terminate your current position, no? Was he supposed to say no to the offer to be a HC, a coordinator's dream? Or is he supposed to put off his new employer and work "for free" for the job he just left?

Guys sitting out of big bowls because of the draft irk me. This doesn't.

Btw, this is all sarcasm.

I wanted to highlight how we get mad at unpaid players for doing this but rarely ever made an issue for coaches doing it. Call a spade a spade. If one is “quitting on the team” then so is the other.
I don't know what Levis will decide but I'm fine with him opting out. Been hurt all year, why risk it. Normally I think they should play

Coaches have taken new jobs and skipped their old team's bowl games for decades, nothing new. As for the TN OC, Chumlee calls the plays....after a trip to the buffet. This guy was a figurehead.
Yea it has been going on. It used to be more like 50/50 some would stay and finish off and some would go on to the next. Mark Stoops did not coach in the fsu bowl after taking the UK job.

In the current environment you about have to do it. Every day that goes by people in the portal are talking with other schools about or committing to them. And you have to get in as soon as possible with hs kids now that there is an early signing period. It’s also why we now see coaches being let go mid season.

ADVERTISEMENT