ADVERTISEMENT

Angels sign All-Star infielder Zack Cozart from Cincinnati

Jan 25, 2015
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/15/angels-sign-all-star-infielder-zack-cozart-from-ci/

ANAHEIM, Calif. – After spending his entire career at shortstop in Cincinnati, Zack Cozart was willing to switch positions for the chance to join the Los Angeles Angels’ promising lineup.

Cozart was even willing to switch twice.

The All-Star infielder agreed to a $38 million, three-year contract with the Angels on Friday, also agreeing to play third base in an infield suddenly packed with veteran talent.

“It’s just going to be a fun team to be around,” Cozart said. “(Left fielder Justin) Upton is already texting me. From what I hear about the clubhouse, it seems like it’s my type of team, a bunch of good grinder guys that want to get after it and win.”

“I’ve been on some bad teams lately,” Cozart said of the Reds, who have lost at least 94 games for three straight years. “When I found out the Angels were interested, that was one of the big things for me. It should be a really good team to join, so I was on board. When I found out (about playing third base), I was a little shocked because everything was happening so quick. But at the end of the day, I want to win.”

Cozart was a first-time All-Star this year, hitting .297 with 24 homers and 63 RBIs – all career bests. The 32-year-old veteran has a .254 average in parts of seven big league seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT