ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Jones Withdraws from Draft, Back to Texas

MWes11

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2012
Huge news for Texas and Shaka. Might be able to make some noise now in the B12.

All of them will get injured next year. That's what happens when you return.

or you don't want to play in the D-League next season. I'm sure Texas' accommodations are way above those provided by those teams.

The same Andrew Jones that CBB fans were told was superior to DeAaron Fox enterting college. One guy is in discussion to go in top 5 and other is back in Austin. Good for him and I'm not ragging on returning unless you are a surefire Lottery pick or need to leave to help your family out. When you are delusional of your ability and a narrative is out there to go after a team because you don't like them, ignorant stuff like "Andrew Jones is best prospect in state of TX" comes out.

Do you want someone to list the guys we've had come back?

If you'd like to take the time to do that, then feel free.

Funny how fans can get so defensive about simple comments. Just joking around. But please be offended if it helps.

He was on their team last year and they were terrible. Don't get the Texas hype from CBB pundits on twitter.

He was on their team last year and they were terrible. Don't get the Texas hype from CBB pundits on twitter.

Me neither....you had a 1st round draft pick Allen, & if this Jones kid is all that good then Shaka Smart just sucks going 9-22.

And if Shaka doesnt suck then I must conclude Jones is not good to play with Allen & go 9-22.

FREAKING 9-22!!! Unreal

Reactions: brianpoe
He's not that good at all and their incoming point guard is not that great. They'll have a winning record but Shaka's not building anything, yet.

It's not that some of our guys don't come back, here we go with straw man again. Just attempts to discredit.

The issue, if you believe it's an issue in the first place, is we don't return the CALIBER of player some of these other programs do and we lose guys that would have only left under Cal.

The best player we've had return, with nothing to do with lockouts or professional situations, is WCS and the Harrison's. That's pretty much it.

The rest are state kids, frindge players like Briscoe (1 time) etc. we don't get guys back the way Duke has, or UNC, or Kansas, or even Arizona it seems. We lose guys that we shouldn't dream of losing.

Not stating an opinion on who's correct, just correcting the critique. Also this post is not about this returning player for Texas.

Just getting as much in as I can before I'm straw-manned to death.

Reactions: lmhurst
It's not that some of our guys don't come back, here we go with straw man again. Just attempts to discredit.

The issue, if you believe it's an issue in the first place, is we don't return the CALIBER of player some of these other programs do and we lose guys that would have only left under Cal.

The best player we've had return, with nothing to do with lockouts or professional situations, is WCS and the Harrison's. That's pretty much it.

The rest are state kids, frindge players like Briscoe (1 time) etc. we don't get guys back the way Duke has, or UNC, or Kansas, or even Arizona it seems. We lose guys that we shouldn't dream of losing.

Not stating an opinion on who's correct, just correcting the critique. Also this post is not about this returning player for Texas.

Just getting as much in as I can before I'm straw-manned to death.
Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, Alex Poythress, WCS, Harrison twins, Dakari Johnson, Tyler Ulis, Isaiah Briscoe, Wenyen Gabriel and SKJ are all 5 star or almost 5 star guys who weren't one and done guys. Most of the time the players leaving after one year are guys like Fox and Monk. I don't think anyone can reasonably complain about them leaving because they're NBA ready no doubt. It's the guys like Bam and Briscoe where the problem is. Bam will probably be a 1st round pick so I can live with that. Briscoe will never play in the NBA likely but he also doesn't want to be in school obviously. And he was never going to be the centerpiece of any team here so he's easily replaceable with the way Cal recruits.

Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, Alex Poythress, WCS, Harrison twins, Dakari Johnson, Tyler Ulis, Isaiah Briscoe, Wenyen Gabriel and SKJ are all 5 star or almost 5 star guys who weren't one and done guys. Most of the time the players leaving after one year are guys like Fox and Monk. I don't think anyone can reasonably complain about them leaving because they're NBA ready no doubt. It's the guys like Bam and Briscoe where the problem is. Bam will probably be a 1st round pick so I can live with that. Briscoe will never play in the NBA likely but he also doesn't want to be in school obviously. And he was never going to be the centerpiece of any team here so he's easily replaceable with the way Cal recruits.

Forgot Ulis, other than that you need to re-read a few post above including mine.

Last edited:
Jones and Lamb came back because of the lockout. If you would have read his post, he clearly said outside of lockouts.

He mentioned the twins and WCS, so that's moot.

Briscoe was projected undrafted or late second round both times he considered leaving. WG and SKJ don't have draft projections either, and they shouldn't because they had mediocre seasons (outside of select breakout games). Poythress may have been a first round projection after his freshman year (can't remember) but not his latter seasons. The poster was arguing the quality of players, and compared to the talent other team's return, those guys don't stack up.

Johnson was fringe first round, likely second but he was somewhat of a surprise. Ullis, while very talented and full of heart, was never projected first round. But still given his talent certainly ok to count him.

So out of your critique we have 2 players that the poster didn't mention in Johnson and Ullis. Johnson's decision was overshadowed by a much higher projected (and one the poster stated) WCS. And Ullis was never projected very high compared to what other schools return, which was the point of the OP.

Surprised you didn't bring up PPat who decided to return when Cal came. That is undeniably talented return. But the problem is the norm for us is these middle first round guys leaving whereas other schools seem to mainly return those guys.

Completely agree on guys like Fox and Monk.

Two power conference teams getting proven at the college level 10+ PPG guards back a few days before the deadline, while our unproven could-be-lottery-pick-after-next-season guy is going to wait until the last possible minute to make it hurt that much more if he goes and our backup plan has fallen in love with Coca Cola Roy...

Cool.

Last edited:
Jones and Lamb came back because of the lockout. If you would have read his post, he clearly said outside of lockouts.

He mentioned the twins and WCS, so that's moot.

Briscoe was projected undrafted or late second round both times he considered leaving. WG and SKJ don't have draft projections either, and they shouldn't because they had mediocre seasons (outside of select breakout games). Poythress may have been a first round projection after his freshman year (can't remember) but not his latter seasons. The poster was arguing the quality of players, and compared to the talent other team's return, those guys don't stack up.

Johnson was fringe first round, likely second but he was somewhat of a surprise. Ullis, while very talented and full of heart, was never projected first round. But still given his talent certainly ok to count him.

So out of your critique we have 2 players that the poster didn't mention in Johnson and Ullis. Johnson's decision was overshadowed by a much higher projected (and one the poster stated) WCS. And Ullis was never projected very high compared to what other schools return, which was the point of the OP.

Surprised you didn't bring up PPat who decided to return when Cal came. That is undeniably talented return. But the problem is the norm for us is these middle first round guys leaving whereas other schools seem to mainly return those guys.

Completely agree on guys like Fox and Monk.
My point was that we've had many players that weren't one and done. All of the players I listed were 5 star guys with the exception of WCS. When you're able to get guys that highly rated if you get two years out of them you should consider it a bonus. Now I don't agree with guys like Briscoe and Humphries leaving but that also enables Cal to bring in a class this year which includes at a minimum 6 more 5 star guys. Cal just needs to adjust and pick up a few of the next level guys to help fill out the roster long term. The problem is even those players think they are future pros and don't like the prospect of setting the bench potentially for a couple of years.

I don't think middle first round guys returning will become any kind of trend either. Miles Bridges is the only sure fire high pick coming back this year I can think of. Just look at Duke and see who they're losing along with UCLA. Hell even IU has lost plenty of guys leaving early the past few years along with UofL. Arizona and UNC seem to be able to hold onto marginal NBA prospects but those kind of guys aren't sure first round picks anyway. So I don't think it's surprising for them to stick around.

Speaking of Dakari, we're told that Cal told him to come back and he left anyway. He's not the only one I'm guessing that applies to. Some he does urge to leave and they do, but sometimes they come back. Some he urges to stay and they leave. I don't think anyone can build a case that Cal pushes players into the draft, and of course he doesn't hold anyone back. It's not a black and white, one size fits all issue.

Last edited:
They are bringing in a top 40 PG, not an elite PG like Fox. Coleman ain't making them some great team. They were horrible last year and lost their best player in Allen.

This is a weak class on top of that. Only two point guards of any merit to have any potential freshman impact or remote possibility of being one and done... Sexton and Duval.

I figured he was still under contract with the braves, had no idea he played for the rangers now at age 50.

Speaking of Dakari, we're told that Cal told him to come back and he left anyway. He's not the only one I'm guessing that applies to. Some he does urge to leave and they do, but sometimes they come back. Some he urges to stay and they leave. I don't think anyone can build a case that Cal pushes players into the draft, and of course he doesn't hold anyone back. It's not a black and white issue, one size fits all issue.

I used to be firmly in the camp that believes Cal doesn't "push" them out, but when I rework that phrase "needs them to go" it started making a lot of sense.

"Push them out" was a phrase started by rivals and haters to insinuate Cal and UK don't care about academics. We throw them out as soon as we can for the next crop with no regard for their studies. Then the extreme section of the pro Cal posse started using it for straw man purposes. It's basically a conversation ender unless you want to be viewed negatively, because no decent Kentucky fan is going to want to agree with that phrase. It implies the worst.

I've said many times I believe Cal needs a majority of these guys to go. He simply cannot recruit to this level if they don't. And also, the notion that he can't get frindge guys back is a weak argument. The best salesman in NCAA history can't talk a player to return, but Miller, K, Roy, Self, and every other coach can. That dog don't hunt.

So no, I don't think he "pushes" anyone, I think it's understood that he needs some to go, and they understand that they could be recruited over anyway because that next kid might be a whole lot better. This is what damaged our recruiting after the '14 class, and why he will never platoon again.

Every recruiting services including the Texas ones had Fox ranked higher did they not? Wasn't Fox player of the year in the state as well?

The same Andrew Jones that CBB fans were told was superior to DeAaron Fox enterting college. One guy is in discussion to go in top 5 and other is back in Austin. Good for him and I'm not ragging on returning unless you are a surefire Lottery pick or need to leave to help your family out. When you are delusional of your ability and a narrative is out there to go after a team because you don't like them, ignorant stuff like "Andrew Jones is best prospect in state of TX" comes out.

Texas should easily be better. Matt Coleman is actually very good, just doesn't have a lot of pro potential but should be a very good college pg, he's much better as a pg than what they have last season (Jones tried playing it) and a soph Jones plus Bamba plus everyone being a year better should make Texas a much better team than last season even with losing Allen.

They are bringing in a top 40 PG, not an elite PG like Fox. Coleman ain't making them some great team. They were horrible last year and lost their best player in Allen.

Every recruiting services including the Texas ones had Fox ranked higher did they not? Wasn't Fox player of the year in the state as well?

There was a lot of "Don't be surprised if Andrew Jones is a better player at Texas then Fox at UK" whispers from the "gurus"--you know the same people who rate recruiting races or decisions with percentages. The want to be "right" is sickening in today's culture. The people who have to be right.....and when they are it's retweeted, re-written, etc....but when wrong, everything just fades......you know into oblivion.

Usually comes from bitter fanboys who are mad a kid picked a school that wasn't their own so they take it out on the kid.

ralphdalton, just curious but you said in a recent post that you are not a UK fan. Do you mind saying which team you support? Just wondering.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT