ADVERTISEMENT

And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars...

Just had some cookies, thanks.

I was forced into attending church every time the doors were open; each Sunday morning, Sunday evening, Wednesday evening; every revival that was ever held in Ky, all for 18 years. I know a thing or two about Christianity. I also have read, and studied to some extent, most all major religions.

They're all man made constructs, every single religion ever is a man made construct, period.

I will not believe that your "all loving" god would condemn for all eternity those he created simply because they were skeptical and didn't believe.

*Apparently, according to your bible, there once was a great war in heaven lead by Lucifer. Question: what's to keep the next Lucifer from waging another war tomorrow, next year, in a million years?
Oh, and heaven is supposed to be "perfect"? If it's "perfect", then how was there a great war against god? Simply makes no sense, no matter how you look at it.

I continue to be amazed at all the gullible people who actually believe in the hysteria religions cause around the globe.

*Raised in a Baptist home.
*Grew up to delve into learning more about all religions, only to learn they were invented thousands of years ago as an effective tool to control the masses.
*It's all B.S; we were not "created" by some god; we evolved over millennia.
*There is no heaven; nor is there any such place as hell, there just isn't.
*When you die, that's it, there is no "soul" that goes to another realm.

Rant over. I'm just sick of "well meaning" people preaching at us in some crazy attempt to "save" us.

Bravo, sir.

Change Baptist with Catholic and all of your bullet points match mine.

I started questioning religion at age 12 and never got a satisfactory answer, just the "faith" spiel. "Have faith" to my adult brain equals "because I said so" to my child brain.

I'm cool with others practicing their faith as long as the don't try to "save" or "convert" me in the process. That'll get you cussed the F out with the quickness. I also don't try to convert others to my way of thinking. I know I'm in the minority, especially in Kentucky, so I generally tend to keep to myself IRL when religion is brought up.

And, OP is the finest parody account on this board. He's a master playing the role of the super, duper crazy conspiracy theorist who also happens to be a religious zealot

I'm cool with others practicing their faith as long as the don't try to "save" or "convert" me in the process. That'll get you cussed the F out with the quickness.

dde01a7a92aa19b4972b4fb097b332686e4ba1f0771b47994b0f28c71f175383.jpg

Welder didn't like the rules so he took his ball and went home. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mega didn't "really" look for answers it seems, he just found unsatisfactory answers and decided that it was all BS. [eyeroll]

Good luck you guys. :flushed:

Bravo, sir.

Change Baptist with Catholic and all of your bullet points match mine.

I started questioning religion at age 12 and never got a satisfactory answer, just the "faith" spiel. "Have faith" to my adult brain equals "because I said so" to my child brain.

I'm cool with others practicing their faith as long as the don't try to "save" or "convert" me in the process. That'll get you cussed the F out with the quickness. I also don't try to convert others to my way of thinking. I know I'm in the minority, especially in Kentucky, so I generally tend to keep to myself IRL when religion is brought up.

And, OP is the finest parody account on this board. He's a master playing the role of the super, duper crazy conspiracy theorist who also happens to be a religious zealot
Same here; I have no problem with people who want to practice their religion in peace. Most all mainline religions in practice today have, at one time in their history, been known to use violence, all in the name of "god".

Islam is the only mainstream religion that refuses to "grow up" and respect all other religions, peoples and cultures.

I know my parents pray for me daily to be "saved", but I simply don't have it in me to tell them it's hopeless, that I believe they're praying to a fantasy. It would devastate them if they knew I was an atheist, so I'll never tell them.

Welder didn't like the rules so he took his ball and went home. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mega didn't "really" look for answers it seems, he just found unsatisfactory answers and decided that it was all BS. [eyeroll]

Good luck you guys. :flushed:

I just don't believe in talking plants or snakes or virgins having babies without getting plowed, or giant boats built out of primitive tools in some dude's yard and allegedly filled with enough food to feed 2 of every type of animal (including predators and prey) for 40 days, zombie resurrections, omnipotent beings that I can talk to 24/7, etc.

Tomfoolery, I tell ya.

But, Bill, if that stuff makes your life more fulfilled, go for it. More power to you. [thumb2]

Same here; I have no problem with people who want to practice their religion in peace. Most all mainline religions in practice today have, at one time in their history, been known to use violence, all in the name of "god".

Islam is the only mainstream religion that refuses to "grow up" and respect all other religions, peoples and cultures.

I know my parents pray for me daily to be "saved", but I simply don't have it in me to tell them it's hopeless, that I believe they're praying to a fantasy. It would devastate them if they knew I was an atheist, so I'll never tell them.

Agree on all counts. And, yes, Christians, I find Islam to be the bottom of the barrel in terms of religions. Most others are at least peaceful in nature (other than the hatred of certain groups they deem sinners.)

My (less devout) dad knows I quit religion right after I graduated high school, but we don't dare bring it up to (super devout) mom because she literally might die if she knew her baby boy rejected all the crap he'd been force fed for 18 years. Seriously, if they taught religion to adults instead of children who believe in shit like Santa, the Easter bunny, tooth fairy and the boogeyman, the success rate would be much lower. I could argue it's a form of child abuse, but we'll save that for another day.

Nothing that I know of. However if you were an Angelic being and you knew that God was all powerful and that his punishment for your disobedience was to send you into the Lake of Fire for all eternity, it would be pretty dumb of you to try it.
Lucifer tried it and had "legions" of followers. Doesn't sound much different than one of mankind's wars. If heaven is perfect then there would have never been the first war.

...if you were an Angelic being and you knew that God was all powerful and that his punishment for your disobedience was to send you into the Lake of Fire for all eternity, it would be pretty dumb of you to try it.
So why did Lucifer?

Citation please.
So, heaven ISN"T perfect?
I've heard countless preachers say it is, (no, I'm not going to try digging through your bible), because god cannot be in the presence of sin, therefore everyone who is there is free of sin, therefore it has to be a perfect place.

Of course, it's all a fantasy, but I enjoy these religious back and forths.

So, heaven ISN"T perfect?
I've heard countless preachers say it is, (no, I'm not going to try digging through your bible), because god cannot be in the presence of sin, therefore everyone who is there is free of sin, therefore it has to be a perfect place.

Of course, it's all a fantasy, but I enjoy these religious back and forths.

I agree it's perfect. When Lucifer and the other Angels sinned they were expelled FOREVER. You don't seem to have a grasp on free will, sin is not allowed to enter Heaven, when men die in their sin, and apparently if it occurs in Heaven those that commit it are removed with predjudice. It's pretty straight forward.

I agree it's perfect. When Lucifer and the other Angels sinned they were expelled FOREVER. You don't seem to have a grasp on free will, sin is not allowed to enter Heaven, when men die in their sin, and apparently if it occurs in Heaven those that commit it are removed with predjudice. It's pretty straight forward.

So Heaven is perfect. Except when it's not, in which case some are expelled and it goes back to being perfect. Until the next time it's not perfect.

As a believer who lost his faith and is slowly reconciling himself...I see both sides in this eternal debate. There is no definite answer. And just having faith doesn't explain the unexplained. So I go back to the old, old days. We're talking Neanderthal days. And if you look hard enough, even those folk had a sense of a Higher Being. And the sense of a Higher Being makes sense to me.

The one religious idea I cling dearly to is the sense of Free Will. Back when I lost my faith, one of the major reasons was children who died before they could choose what path they took. And Original Sin. And people who have never been exposed to Christianity. How in hell can they not go to Heaven if they never had a choice in the matter?

I answered my own question. Free Will. And the posters on this thread have verified my answer. The atheists could be right. An infant by its very existence cannot have Free Will. Same for those who haven't been exposed to organized religion.

So none of us will know until we pass from this earthly plain. I hope I chose correctly, and not poorly. I hope the good I did here outweighs the bad (I have plenty of both)

Constellations have a lot more significance when you think they are holes poked in the heavens for dead loved ones to look down from rather than being the happenstance perspective of varying sizes, types, and distances of stars from a given point in the galaxy.

Then again maybe the lady of the lake will throw Excalibur back to Elvis and we can finish off the Cubans for the last time.

Anybody, from either side (i'm a believer in christ) that speaks with absolutism is fooling themselves. those who completely discount religion are doing the same thing as those who completely discount science.

I have two key questions that help me rationalize my faith. A. If you go back to the very beginning, who/what set everything in motion. Even if you believe in the big bang theory. (I do)... Who set that in motion? B. NOBODY can tell you what happens in the after-life, because you will never meet anybody who has experienced it.

Like with politics, those who bash somebody and call them stupid just because they don't agree with you are foolish. (Of course those who use religion to spread hate are idiots.)

Anybody, from either side (i'm a believer in christ) that speaks with absolutism is fooling themselves. those who completely discount religion are doing the same thing as those who completely discount science.

I have two key questions that help me rationalize my faith. A. If you go back to the very beginning, who/what set everything in motion. Even if you believe in the big bang theory. (I do)... Who set that in motion? B. NOBODY can tell you what happens in the after-life, because you will never meet anybody who has experienced it.

Like with politics, those who bash somebody and call them stupid just because they don't agree with you are foolish. (Of course those who use religion to spread hate are idiots.)

You don't know how the universe began so you believe Bible mythology. Uh, ok.

It's strange that anyone with even a passing knowledge of the bible would tell you this. "Countless preachers"?

Job 2:2-6 clearly details a conversation between God and Satan regarding Job that took place in...heaven.

Afterward the day came when the sons of the true God entered to take their station before Jehovah, and Satan also entered among them to take his station before Jehovah.
2 Then Jehovah said to Satan: “Where have you come from?” Satan answered Jehovah: “From roving about on the earth and from walking about in it.” 3 And Jehovah said to Satan: “Have you taken note of my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth. He is an upright man of integrity, fearing God and shunning what is bad. He is still holding firmly to his integrity, even though you try to incite me against him to destroy him for no reason.” 4 But Satan answered Jehovah: “Skin for skin. A man will give everything that he has for his life. 5 But, for a change, stretch out your hand and strike his bone and flesh, and he will surely curse you to your very face.”

So, free will exists in heaven just as it does on earth. For a time, as shown above, evil was tolerated in the heavenly realm.

I continue to be amazed at all the gullible people who actually believe in the hysteria religions cause around the globe.

*Raised in a Baptist home.
*Grew up to delve into learning more about all religions, only to learn they were invented thousands of years ago as an effective tool to control the masses.
*It's all B.S; we were not "created" by some god; we evolved over millennia.
*There is no heaven; nor is there any such place as hell, there just isn't.
*When you die, that's it, there is no "soul" that goes to another realm.

Rant over. I'm just sick of "well meaning" people preaching at us in some crazy attempt to "save" us.
Wow

You don't know how the universe began so you believe there was once "nothing." Then, spontaneously, "something" came into existence and evolved into everything in this present universe we live in. Uh, ok.

You still don't get it. It would be nice if you would at least try to understand how most non-believers think.

I don't know how the universe began and not knowing doesn't worry me. This is a problem for science. If I'm interested, I'll read science and learn the latest discoveries in the continuous process of revealing the truth. I may tentatively accept the science or I may not, depending on the supporting evidence.

I don't believe any religious explanation because all religious explanations are bullshit.

I'm intellectually honest and care about truth, which is what is shown to conform with fact and reality. You believe mythology on faith which is unsupported by evidence and actually has evidence AGAINST it.

I believe it is honorable to reject bullshit and strive to learn truth.

The factuality of these events isn't dependent on your belief that they occurred.

I read a series of books once about a little monkey named George who got into trouble all the time, much to the chagrin of a nice man in a yellow hat. That little monkey did so many crazy things. He didn't obey. He got into things he wasn't supposed to. He was just so curious. One time, he even HUFFED ETHER!!

According to your logic, those words are true because they were printed in a book and therefore are factual.

This is why believers and non/believers can't do anything but talk in circles. It blows my mind people believe that shit, and it blows your mind that people don't.

You still don't get it. It would be nice if you would at least try to understand how most non-believers think.

I don't know how the universe began and not knowing doesn't worry me. This is a problem for science. If I'm interested, I'll read science and learn the latest discoveries in the continuous process of revealing the truth. I may tentatively accept the science or I may not, depending on the supporting evidence.

I don't believe any religious explanation because all religious explanations are bullshit.

I'm intellectually honest and care about truth, which is what is shown to conform with fact and reality. You believe mythology on faith which is unsupported by evidence and actually has evidence AGAINST it.

I believe it is honorable to reject bullshit and strive to learn truth.

I am intellectually honest in that I admit that believing God created the universe is a step of (to me, reasonable) faith.

Non-believers, on the other hand, claim to be intellectually honest when they claim to know the unknowable (how the universe came into existence) based on imagined "fact and reality" which is nothing but "faith" the same as my beliefs are.

I clearly understand how non-believers think. My family were non-believers and I was a non-believer myself until well into adulthood. It is why I try to play nice with non-believers in these crazy religion discussions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT