ADVERTISEMENT

Analyst Roundtable: Bamba predictions and other 2017 topics

I remember the last roundtable I read where nobody picked Knox to UK lol

He might end up at Texas, but that felt like Bleacher Report article.

Their reasoning appears clownish, unless of course they are the two people who really do know something.

Reactions: gossie21
He might end up at Texas, but that felt like Bleacher Report article.

Their reasoning appears clownish, unless of course they are the two people who really do know something.
If that's the strongest arguments they can make for a player to go to Texas, then I feel even better about our chances.

The #2 player in the country worrying about minutes, and forming a 1-2 punch with a less talented point guard who he has less of a relationship with?

Reactions: Aike
2/3 picking Texas and the one who chose UK didn't seem real confident.

Lot of smoke re: Bamba to Texas. Would be a baffling decision to pass on UK (and Duke) and go to Texas where Smart has been awful.

Who knows, maybe Bamba has a secret desire to play in the NIT. That's the only reason I can see him picking Texas over Kentucky.

What does Kentucky have to offer that Texas can't.
1. National exposure every single game.
2. A chance to play with elite teammates.
3. A chance to play for a Hall of Fame coach that will get him ready for the next level faster and better than any other coach in America.
4. A really good chance to win a National Championship.
5. Play before sell out crowds at home and away. 24,000 adoring fans every home game.

Come on Bamba, the choice is crystal clear.

Reactions: KyJones64
Who knows, maybe Bamba has a secret desire to play in the NIT. That's the only reason I can see him picking Texas over Kentucky.

What does Kentucky have to offer that Texas can't.
1. National exposure every single game. (Some personal exposure too...:rolleyes:
2. A chance to play with elite teammates. (Check)
3. A chance to play for a Hall of Fame coach that will get him ready for the next level faster and better than any other coach in America. Check)
4. A really good chance to win a National Championship. (Check)
5. Play before sell out crowds at home and away. 24,000 adoring fans every home game. (23,950 adoring fans and some of about 25 to 50 that wouldn't be happy no matter what fans.)

Come on Bamba, the choice is crystal clear.

Fixed

The simple fact he's still deciding makes it clear that Texas is a strong possibility. His reasons are his own. While it could be Duke that's the reason for the holdup and not Texas we don't know because the kid will not be telling us anytime soon.

Reactions: shidler
I think Bamba is clearly a bit different than most players. Would not shock me if he picks Texas because of his relationship with Smart. Terrence Jones initially picked UW because he didn't want to disappoint friends and family. What seems like a slam dunk decision to us is not for many of these kids.

If he picks Texas over UK or Duke, then he's not interested in winning a title.

Maybe that's not his goal. People have said he is a different character.

He's going top 5 in the NBA draft next year regardless of where he plays. Maybe he wants to go a place where he thinks he will have the best overall experience for one year. UT could definitely be that. UK is awesome (I went there), but UT is on another level college experience wise.

I think UK is a much better option for him but it's not like UT is some no name garbage school.

Maybe that's not his goal. People have said he is a different character.

He's going top 5 in the NBA draft next year regardless of where he plays. Maybe he wants to go a place where he thinks he will have the best overall experience for one year. UT could definitely be that. UK is awesome (I went there), but UT is on another level college experience wise.

I think UK is a much better option for him but it's not like UT is some no name garbage school.

Texas is a traditionally great football school. Austin is a very nice town. UT basketball is not quite significant nationally or in Austin. If he wants to get the best preparation for the league and have a great college basketball experience with future NBA teammates then that experience is in Lexington. It is up to him.

When the analysts are clearly just guessing, I tend to just consider, "What would I do if this were MY decision?"

Would I honestly choose to go to an 11-win program, at a school that cares a LOT more about football than basketball, and play for a coach that has yet to establish himself at the high-major level, simply because they have a lot of minutes to offer? If I'm trying to make myself a top-5 NBA pick, do I trust Shaka to get me ready for that over people like Cal and K?

If I had essentially the same PT available at UK or Duke, with FAR more proven coaches like Cal and K, exceptional NBA placement rates, the opportunity to compete for a national title in what is likely to be my one and only season on campus, to do so in an iconic arena in front of rabid basketball fans, and to play with personal friends of mine on top of all that, I just don't know how UT becomes the choice. Since Duke already has Carter and Bolden, maybe their frontcourt is too crowded, but all along they have felt like the much bigger threat to me, and justifiably so.

Reactions: JRowland
I need to check into getting a job in this field. I know at least if I had a prediction that my reasoning would make sense.

I just remembered a comment Bamba made in some interview, where he said that wherever he goes he wants to have such an impact that they name something after him. Or something along those lines. He's more likely to stand out to that degree at Texas. As good as Davis was, even he nor Wall are getting that honor. Just thought that may be a reason he goes to UT.

I just remembered a comment Bamba made in some interview, where he said that wherever he goes he wants to have such an impact that they name something after him. Or something along those lines. He's more likely to stand out to that degree at Texas. As good as Davis was, even he nor Wall are getting that honor. Just thought that may be a reason he goes to UT.
I don't think any school is going to name something after him after only 1 season. If Davis had stayed for multiple seasons and won multiple titles he almost could've had Rupp Arena named after him. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Texas is much more likely to name something after a QB, RB, LB, etc. If something is named after a C...it'll be the kind that snaps rather than rebounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT