ADVERTISEMENT

Ambassador Cal ain’t happening...(Kyle Tucker)

Dec 6, 2022
The contract says that if Calipari is fired without cause (and just losing a bunch of games does not qualify as cause in this case), he’s owed 75 percent of the remaining compensation. He’s set to make $8.5 million the next two seasons and $9 million the last four years of a deal that runs through the 2028-29 season. So if you fire Calipari after this season, you owe him three-fourths of $53 million, which is a cool $39.75 million.
Now, about that “Special Assistant to the AD/University Representative Option” in the contract, which says he can step down at any time after next season and take a program ambassador role for $950,000 a year. Could he be convinced to slide into that role? Here’s what he told me in October:
“Now I want to know any normal human being that would give up a $9 million job for a $1 million job? Who would do that? I’m not doing it, OK? If something happens with my health (he’ll soon be 64) or I don’t feel like I’m up to it, that is like an insurance thing for me. That’s all it was. Now, if they want me to stop and pay me $9 million for the next five years, I’d probably consider it. But I would say, ‘What am I gonna do? I gotta do something.’”
So no, Ambassador Cal ain’t happening.

This is why you either hope he takes the Texas job or you give him next season with the hyped up class and hope he catches lightning again for that year at minimum.

But you’re (UK ppl) hoping he gets to an E8 and beyond with a less than 8 loss season next year and you can bring him back for another year or 2 before you’re forced to truly evaluate.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Why wouldn’t he take it? He obviously doesn’t have the passion for coaching he once did so why not go into retirement with a $1 mil/year pension? Sure it’s $8 mil less but he doesn’t have to recruit, go to practice/games, appear on radio/post game interviews, etc. It’s a pay cut, yes, but it’s essentially a pension. I’d take it in a heart beat.

Why wouldn’t he take it? He obviously doesn’t have the passion for coaching he once did so why not go into retirement with a $1 mil/year pension? Sure it’s $8 mil less but he doesn’t have to recruit, go to practice/games, appear on radio/post game interviews, etc. It’s a pay cut, yes, but it’s essentially a pension. I’d take it in a heart beat.
Other than attending games, I don't think he's doing that stuff now. Not w/ fidelity, anyway

The contract says that if Calipari is fired without cause (and just losing a bunch of games does not qualify as cause in this case), he’s owed 75 percent of the remaining compensation. He’s set to make $8.5 million the next two seasons and $9 million the last four years of a deal that runs through the 2028-29 season. So if you fire Calipari after this season, you owe him three-fourths of $53 million, which is a cool $39.75 million.
Now, about that “Special Assistant to the AD/University Representative Option” in the contract, which says he can step down at any time after next season and take a program ambassador role for $950,000 a year. Could he be convinced to slide into that role? Here’s what he told me in October:
“Now I want to know any normal human being that would give up a $9 million job for a $1 million job? Who would do that? I’m not doing it, OK? If something happens with my health (he’ll soon be 64) or I don’t feel like I’m up to it, that is like an insurance thing for me. That’s all it was. Now, if they want me to stop and pay me $9 million for the next five years, I’d probably consider it. But I would say, ‘What am I gonna do? I gotta do something.’”
Barney giving cal a million a year to be bill keightly or joe B. Lmao pissin my pants

Reactions: K_TIME
‘Ambassador Cal‘ wouldn’t be a smart idea now even if he wanted to do it.

This is a guy who reuses disposable sandwich containers. He wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He is going to want every penny owed to him, and I don't blame him there.

There is a free way out of this.

And it’s the elephant in the room.

You hire one Rick Pitino as Lifetime Special Assistant To The Head Coach. The same Rick Pitino who now has the Iona Gaels ahead of The University of Kentucky Wildcats in the NET ratings.

Mr. Pitino does this job for one dollar a year in exchange for “guaranteed special intense extended consideration for the head coaching role should the position become available.” His responsibilities consist entirely of asking the head coach, “Can I get you some Tylenol? You don’t look so good.” His office is inside the head coach’s office.

I will personally pony up that one dollar salary the first year. Then you can get back to me on whether I need to pay it a second time, and how much a cool $39.75 million is worth to John Calipari.

I know a lot of people here think Calipari is just going to get tired of the heat being directed his way but, that quote to Tucker should tell you all you need to know. Calipari isn't going anywhere, anytime soon unless it's for equal or better money. He's basically saying he is ready to put up with all kinds of crap for that $8.5-$9 million. We need to just forget about a buyout happening anytime in the next 2-3 years.
Thanks to Mitch Brainfart we are stuck with him until the buyout becomes more manageable.

You hire one Rick Pitino as Lifetime Special Assistant To The Head Coach. The same Rick Pitino who now has the Iona Gaels ahead of The University of Kentucky Wildcats in the NET ratings.

Mr. Pitino does this job for one dollar a year in exchange for “guaranteed special intense extended consideration for the head coaching role should the position become available.” His responsibilities consist entirely of asking the head coach, “Can I get you some Tylenol? You don’t look so good.” His office is inside the head coach’s office.

I will personally pony up that one dollar salary the first year. Then you can get back to me on whether I need to pay it a second time, and how much a cool $39.75 million is worth to John Calipari.
This would at least be funny entertainment. I mean the opposite of what we are seeing on the BBall courts now.

Reactions: BlueSince92

Nice dream but, RP's ego is at least as big as Calipari's. Ain't no way.
*Points for out of the box thinking though.

Not like he’s hurting for money. His kids are raised, they are setup with homes and jobs. He’s golden but 8 million is still a lot of cheddar.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I know a lot of people here think Calipari is just going to get tired of the heat being directed his way but, that quote to Tucker should tell you all you need to know. Calipari isn't going anywhere, anytime soon unless it's for equal or better money. He's basically saying he is ready to put up with all kinds of crap for that $8.5-$9 million. We need to just forget about a buyout happening anytime in the next 2-3 years.
Thanks to Mitch Brainfart we are stuck with him until the buyout becomes more manageable.
He ain’t seen Kentucky crap….yet.

About what I figured. It's all about the money. What a complete jerk. Full on richard in every way

Reactions: seccats04
Nice dream but, RP's ego is at least as big as Calipari's. Ain't no way.
*Points for out of the box thinking though.
Nice try at reframing but, you thought Iona was what Rick’s ego was after? Rick’s ego is exactly the thing that makes a man crawl through sewage to come out on top of Camelot again with Calipari disgraced.

He's getting paid $8 million/year and not doing half of the things he's supposed to now!!!

Why would he give that up for just $1 million??? He won't.

He's got Mitch by the B_lls and there is very little UK fans can do about it either.

SAD

Reactions: delk4three
He's getting paid $8 million/year and not doing half of the things he's supposed to now!!!

Why would he give that up for just $1 million??? He won't.

He's got Mitch by the B_lls and there is very little UK fans can do about it either.

SAD
Well I would say he’s recruiting. He is also showing up to games and interviews and radio talk shows. I’m not saying he’s doing a particularly good job at any of those things but he is technically doing them.

Not like he’s hurting for money. His kids are raised, they are setup with homes and jobs. He’s golden but 8 million is still a lot of cheddar.
It is. I just don’t get it personally. But I’m not particularly greedy person. Even so I wouldn’t mind making what he makes lol. But if I was in his shoes (with his bank account) I would jump at that pension and coast into retirement doing what I want when I want.

I suppose for some no dollar amount will ever be good enough. And if that’s the case for Cal, yeah, I could see why he wouldn’t want that job over the one he has now.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Well I would say he’s recruiting. He is also showing up to games and interviews and radio talk shows. I’m not saying he’s doing a particularly good job at any of those things but he is technically doing them.
Orlando and Chin are doing the recruiting.
WOW, he's actually showing up to games for 2 hrs for all of that money!!!
Who is "interviewing" him??? Tom Leach is about it.
He only takes the BARE minimum of questions during post-game pressers.
He sends out one of his assistants to do the SEC conference calls.
He's ONLY taking 1 or 2 calls and those are from HOMERS on the Call-In show and sending his players on to do half of the show or getting Mitch to do a half.

So, again, WHY would he stop doing what he is now for an $8 million pay cut???

He WON'T!!!

Orlando and Chin are doing the recruiting.
WOW, he's actually showing up to games for 2 hrs for all of that money!!!
Who is "interviewing" him??? Tom Leach is about it.
He only takes the BARE minimum of questions during post-game pressers.
He sends out one of his assistants to do the SEC conference calls.
He's ONLY taking 1 or 2 calls and those are from HOMERS on the Call-In show and sending his players on to do half of the show or getting Mitch to do a half.

So, again, WHY would he stop doing what he is now for an $8 million pay cut???

He WON'T!!!
I’m not Cal dude, chill.

Poor choices. It can always get worse for the guy with a target on his back, and while I don't condone what some fans might do in a fit of rage, I would say Cal brought it on himself. You can only poke a bear for so long.

Barney giving cal a million a year to be bill keightly or joe B. Lmao pissin my pants
Seriously….why was this lifetime ambassador silliness not offered to a guy that is more like UK people..like Tubby

Even at this height …fans didn’t like the “greatest day is Uk history “ crap

What an idiot Mitch is to entangle this contract and how it’s played out

What? Article says it, if he’s still healthy why would he take an $8mil/year pay cut. Especially after 5 years he can still have the $1mil/year for life deal.

$8mil is more money than most of us will see in our lifetimes

You would take a million because it’s a big raise. It’s a big salary cut to Cal. I agree with Tucker that he’s not likely to walk away from roughly $40 million unless some other school is offering something similar.

It's all about the money. He just wants the money and only cares about how many NBA Fat Head images inside the practice facility so he can say... Look at what I've done. He doesn't give a damn about UK at this point. Money, Money, Money. Money Cal.
And that's what it was the day he took the job ...

What? Article says it, if he’s still healthy why would he take an $8mil/year pay cut. Especially after 5 years he can still have the $1mil/year for life deal.

$8mil is more money than most of us will see in our lifetimes
I understand that. I value time with family more than I value money. And he’s already rich with generational wealth with an empty nest so money shouldn’t be an object for him anymore.

But as I made very clear in my original post, I am well aware this is a paycut for him. But some of y’all are acting like he’s retiring to go work in the mines. No, he’d be getting laid $1 mi/year to sit on his bum and pet his dogs.

You would take a million because it’s a big raise. It’s a big salary cut to Cal. I agree with Tucker that he’s not likely to walk away from roughly $40 million unless some other school is offering something similar.
What? I made my post from the mindset if I was Cal. He’s been making $9 mil/year for how many years now? He’s a multimillionaire and with financial knowledge at all he’s built up generational wealth for his family.

So yes, $1 mil/year is a pay cut for him. At this stage in his career, life, and finances if I were in his shoes I would place more value on not having to work so I could spend more time doing whatever I want.

To me at least, there are more valuable things in this life than making giant loads of money. To each their own.

What? I made my post from the mindset if I was Cal. He’s been making $9 mil/year for how many years now? He’s a multimillionaire and with financial knowledge at all he’s built up generational wealth for his family.

So yes, $1 mil/year is a pay cut for him. At this stage in his career, life, and finances if I were in his shoes I would place more value on not having to work so I could spend more time doing whatever I want.

To me at least, there are more valuable things in this life than making giant loads of money. To each their own.
I’m not Cal dude, chill.
Which is what I have said from the beginning!!

Cal WOULD continue to take $8 million/year for doing a CRAPPY JOB, unlike you.

I am ALWAYS chill 😁 😁

Which is what I have said from the beginning!!

Cal WOULD continue to take $8 million/year for doing a CRAPPY JOB, unlike you.

I am ALWAYS chill 😁 😁
I’m not sure why you’re coming after me so hard. I just put a higher value on family time and free time then I would another $8 mil.

I never said Cal would make that choice. I said if I were in his shoes that’s the choice I would make in my mid 60s.

I understand why he would keep his current role and salary, doing as you’re saying a poor job. I would prefer to sit in my mansion with no interruptions and collecting my $1 mil pension. I guess for some people no amount of money will ever be enough. And for them I feel pity because it’s not what life is about and you can’t take it with you when you die. To each their own. Be well.

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT