ADVERTISEMENT

Alright, alright, alright...True Detective....keep ya fingers crossed

Blue Bleeding Marine

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2006
True Detective
Posted June 22 2016 — 8:20 PM EDT

Some viewers may be ready to move on from True Detective, but Matthew McConaughey isn’t one of them.

During an interview on Wednesday episode of The Rich Eisen Show, the actor was asked if he would interested in returning to the series that scored him an Emmy nomination. “Yeah, I would,” the Free State of Jones star said. “I miss Rust Cohle, man. I miss watching him on Sunday nights. I miss watching True Detective on Sunday nights. … I was a happy man when we made that for six months, because I was on my own island.”

McConaughey won rave reviews for his against-type performance as Cohle in the first season of the HBO series. The second season, which brought in a new cast including Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn, wasn’t nearly as well received.

I think this constitutes as news.. Everyone and their mother, including the directors/producers, knew that season 2 sucked big time. I don't think there's a person on this planet that thinks otherwise, and I don't think there's a person who wouldn't jump at a MM and WH reunion for season 3.

This definitely has legs. Season 1 of TD was the best show of the year in my opinion.

Pretty sure I read the other day that HBO has canceled the series.
Last I read, they still have the creator of the series under contract and are planning on making a new show with him, but likely not using the True Detective name anymore.

Theoretically, is it even a "series" when both seasons have zero in common? It certainly won't be viewed the same as as a CBS show. Even if they did "cancel" the show, they cancelled the show with Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn.. not the one with MM and WH. This isn't like cancelling Big Bang Theory..

Pretty sure if you got both those guys back on board, HBO would be singing a different tune

Don't forget how Season 1 turned out to be half baked bullshit.

GREAT SHOW THO OMG MATHEW WOW

:flush:

Similar to the Killing. It's like nobody expected the show to last even one season.

They really dropped with ball with season 2. Tiger Woods level of collapse. Completely lost all momentum from the first season. Vice Principals looks good though, and I heard a new season of Curb is coming out.

Of course Matthew and Woody were awesome, but what also made season 1 so great was the setting down in the bayou. I couldn't even give season 2 a chance bc LA sucks so bad.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I actually kind of liked the setting of Season 2. LA has obviously been played out for decades, but I enjoyed that they modeled the setting after a real-life section of the city that has NO inhabitants, just 50,000 workers over less than a square mile. Which made for a super corrupt local government going from the top to the bottom.

..they just did a crappy job with it. Bad actors.. bad characters.. 8 hours to go over wayyy too many story lines.

It always seemed to me like Pizalotto (or however you spelled it) had a whole bunch of time to hone the first season and make it great. But whenever he had to produce on a time schedule, it was awful.

"The Night Of" looks like the new True Detective. First episode is on HBO Go/Now and so far it looks like it will be excellent. Will be an 8-episode miniseries.

True Detective Season 1 is one of the most overrated seasons of a television show in history.

True Detective Season 1 is one of the most overrated seasons of a television show in history.

I thought it was a really good series. The character development, setting, story line, and acting in the 1st season were all stellar. And so were the boobs. The ending sucked. But the rest is worthy of whatever praise it has received.

After the dumpster fire that was season 2 i don't blame HBO for closing the books. Agree with whoever said "Night Of…" looks good. Major potential there based on the trailers.

I kind of have to agree. It was a good season and I'm glad I watched, but it's remembered as better than it was for 3 reasons:

1) McConnaghey did give an awesome performance.
2) The 10 minute, single camera scene during the shootout was amazing.
3) That one girl got naked

It had its moments but it kind of dragged along, and the ending was pretty awful.

Reactions: Mashburned
After the dumpster fire that was season 2 i don't blame HBO for closing the books. Agree with whoever said "Night Of…" looks good. Major potential there based on the trailers.

The first episode is available on HBO GO and was pretty good. However, I just wonder how they can drag it out for 7 more episodes without it getting convoluted and full of wild conspiracies and cover-ups.

The first episode is available on HBO GO and was pretty good. However, I just wonder how they can drag it out for 7 more episodes without it getting convoluted and full of wild conspiracies and cover-ups.

Damn. Now your going to ruin this one for me before it even gets started. This thread is full of misery. So glad i decided to open it. Thanks again for the misleading title, OP.

I did a Youtube binge the other day of great movie/TV scenes. I landed on True Detective and basically watched all the great scenes from season 1 (last I watched it was when it aired).. which was roughly half of the show it seemed.. Amazing television. Don't think I've seen a better single season of TV.

Season 2 was missing something but I can't quite put my fingers on what.

Alexandra_Daddario2.gif

ADVERTISEMENT