ADVERTISEMENT

Allen Edwards spotted...

pascat

Senior
Aug 19, 2003
…as an assistant coach at Wyoming.

I saw the Wyoming Fennis Dembo's win in an epic 3OT thriller in Fresno the other night and there was our man Allen Edwards dressed to the nines and looking like the consummate professional on the sidelines.

I have to admit, it was great seeing his personality come out as a very vocal and involved assistant. He was extremely encouraging and carried himself with excellence. Great to see him. He'll always be a special Wildcat. I hope he gets a chance to be a head coach someday...

I know he had struggles both on and off the court while at UK but he never seemed to be anything other than a very classy player. Always liked him. Hope he has a great career.

I'm not remembering much in the way of struggles. On court? Playing behind DA was a struggle I guess but I can't recall any off court struggles. Edwards was a smart player. Knew how to take a single dribble to an open spot for a short jumper and used the glass well. Under utilized as a sophomore with that loaded '96 squad and if there was ever one player in the late 90s that had reason to like it when Tubby replaced Rick it was Allen Edwards.

Thanks for this post, OP. I think of Allen from time to time and had been wondering several days ago what he was up to. So much is remember about D. Anderson's knee injury in '97 costing us that title (a given), but it is almost forgotten that Allen rolled his ankle later that same season. I don't think he played many minutes at all in the title game and was probably an even bigger reason for why we lost to Arizona.

He was a star in '98. The Duke and Stanford games were thrillers. He went out a winner.

He was out in the championship game against Arizona in 97. That was a huge loss in that game. He had become a valuable piece to a defensive strategy. Everyone remembers DA being out but edwards was A huge loss.

he's a champ. early in '97 we looked awesome with da and mercer but we looked deep on the wing because we rotated them with allen edwards. a three headed monster that only were together on the floor for a short time. a big part of our '98 title, we'll always remember that guy. thanks for the update. hope we see him soon moving up the ranks.

Didn't his mom pass away in 98 ?
That might have been the reason he had struggles.

I remember AE hitting two circus shots at the end of our game against Tubby and UGA in Athens that sealed the win in 96. He was one of those glue guys on the 98 team as well.

I noticed AE was at Wyoming when I was reading an article about Larry Nance Jr. last night. The story itself was pretty inspiring, Nance Jr. has Crohn's disease and has to get a shot every couple weeks to have the strength to play basketball. I'm glad AE is doing well, and hope Wyo makes some noise in the tourney this year.

Originally posted by Park75:
Didn't his mom pass away in 98 ?
That might have been the reason he had struggles.
I forgot about that. He was a warrior after that. His slashing ability was a nice compliment to Padgett and Shep's outside shooting.

He was an assistant on WKU's staff for a year under Ken McDonald. Kinda coincidental that McDonald was hired over Larry Shyatt, who is current head coach at Wyoming. Edwards left WKU after one year to join Shyatt's staff at Wyoming. Would like to still have him on the Hill (Edwards, NOT McDonald)

Thanks, I didn't know that. He's practically a neighbor lol. In the few minutes of the recent CSU/Wyoming game I managed to watch before falling asleep I didn't notice him.

Allen Edwards was awesome in that '98 run to the title. I remember he had a nasty reverse dunk early in the game against UCLA in the third round that set the tone for Kentucky's victories in St. Pete.

I believe his mom died during the SEC Tournament. It happened right around the time Jeff Shepherd had the high ankle sprain. I believe he came back and played very well to fill in for Jeff when he was out with the sprain to help us destroy South Carolina in the SEC Tournament final.

This post was edited on 1/20 9:02 PM by KyCatFan

ADVERTISEMENT