ADVERTISEMENT

All time wins status now that Pope is UK's HC

They have played more games no doubt.

I have tried to argue on here winning percentage is more telling a stat but the majority of this board disagreed.

Agree. When I really started watching UK basketball we were in a virtual deadlock with UNC (roughly 1990). Kansas was behind us by 50 games.

The one thing Kansas has not had is a flop as a head coach during that time. Going back to when Roy got there in 1988, they are 1021-244. That is an 81% winning percentage over 35+ seasons....I hate the Jail hawks but man that is just staggering. That has to be highest win percentage during that period of time.

Back to not having a flop...UNC gave Doherty 100 games and UK gave BCG two seasons....neither helped matters.

The win percentage matters the most though...even with all of Kansas' regular season winning the near past 4 decades we are still so far up in that stat it is highly unlikely we ever relinquish it.

Kansas will be pressured in the Big 12.

Houston, BYU, Baylor, Arizona, Iowa State, and Cincy all have good programs. Hopefully UConn makes the leap to the Big 12 to apply even more pressure.

The SEC still has more quality programs, but not by much.
In basketball? No. Right now it is Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky. Adding Texas and Oklahoma doesn’t add much in basketball. Those are football schools. That’s it. Maybe A&M and Arkansas has to prove something with Calipari.

In basketball? No. Right now it is Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky. Adding Texas and Oklahoma doesn’t add much in basketball. Those are football schools. That’s it. Maybe A&M and Arkansas has to prove something with Calipari.
Texas ain't no slouch in bball. Oklahoma? Hit or miss- some years they've had decent teams.

Texas has 3 Final Fours and 8 EE's, with 2023 being the most recent. Never made the title games. Now, without Beard, we will have to see how they do, but it's not like it's a gutter program. I mean.....they have more FF's and EE's than the other UT.

Heck, OU has FIVE FF's and NINE EE's and made the title game twice. That's more than some of our other teams in the SEC.

Texas ain't no slouch in bball. Oklahoma? Hit or miss- some years they've had decent teams.

Texas has 3 Final Fours and 8 EE's, with 2023 being the most recent. Never made the title games. Now, without Beard, we will have to see how they do, but it's not like it's a gutter program. I mean.....they have more FF's and EE's than the other UT.

Heck, OU has FIVE FF's and NINE EE's and made the title game twice. That's more than some of our other teams in the SEC.

Agreed. Those 2 teams will be top half of the sec league type teams most seasons IMO. They are known for football and rightfully so but they have both had some success in basketball.

Coach Pope, all season as Kansas makes their push:

hold-stonk-hold.gif

What? The B12 might be the best conference in basketball right now and is no doubt top 3. They lost Texas and OU but gained Arizona. They have Kansas, Houston, Baylor, Arizona, and might be adding UConn. Iowa St. is also a top program at the moment and BYU looks to be on the rise with their new coach.
The new B12 will be known as a basketball conference. When your top football programs are Utah or Oklahoma St, you suck as a football conference.

Reactions: Zissou87
Agree. When I really started watching UK basketball we were in a virtual deadlock with UNC (roughly 1990). Kansas was behind us by 50 games.

The one thing Kansas has not had is a flop as a head coach during that time. Going back to when Roy got there in 1988, they are 1021-244. That is an 81% winning percentage over 35+ seasons....I hate the Jail hawks but man that is just staggering. That has to be highest win percentage during that period of time.

Back to not having a flop...UNC gave Doherty 100 games and UK gave BCG two seasons....neither helped matters.

The win percentage matters the most though...even with all of Kansas' regular season winning the near past 4 decades we are still so far up in that stat it is highly unlikely we ever relinquish it.
I’m certainly no BCG fan but isn’t his winning percentage here as good as Cals last 5 years and about the same as Tubbys last years ? We were going in the wrong direction but I don’t think his 2 year record hurt us that bad .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT