ADVERTISEMENT

All time SEC Career Assist Leaders

EliteBlue

All-American
Mar 27, 2009

[click the image and it’ll open…stats inside]

Wheeler is now 5th with a real shot at 2nd All-time.

Reactions: Finna_Go_HAM
But, but, but according to this board Wheeler sucks….
Im going to go with jaded people’s options rather than the statistical facts!

:flush:

But, but, but according to this board Wheeler sucks….
Im going to go with jaded people’s options rather than the statistical facts!

:flush:
Wheeler doesn't suck...you will just never come close to winning a championship with him as your lead PG.

Since you are about stats, does our best lineup statistically consist of Wheeler being on the floor?

You can list all the NBA players that Cal has had here in 12 years and there's only a small handful that have championships. So not sure what your comment really says.
It doesn't say anything. It's just an observation

Wheeler doesn't suck...you will just never come close to winning a championship with him as your lead PG.

Since you are about stats, does our best lineup statistically consist of Wheeler being on the floor?
Like most "debates", the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.
Wheeler does not "suck", nor is he one of the best PGs.

[click the image and it’ll open…stats inside]

Wheeler is now 5th with a real shot at 2nd All-time.
I don't think he has "a real shot at 2nd".
Assuming he misses no games, he could play in another 10-19 games for us this year, but most likely 12-14 more games.
Obviously he'll move into 4th, probably tomorrow.
He needs 62 to move into 3rd, so that would be 3.1 to 6.2 /gm, probably about 4.4-5.2 /gm. He's probably not getting there unless he starts playing 20+mpg again for most of the remaining games.
And to move into 2nd he needs 96 more, which would be 5.1-9.6 /gm, probably 6.8-7.8. And the only way he has a shot at that is if Wallace is done for the year.

Unless you are assuming he uses his COVID year at UK or another SEC school. Then yeah he does, and if he went back to one of the bottom 1/2 of the SEC schools he could maybe move into #1 spot.

Wheeler is a solid backup PG for this team. He is like a change of pace RB, good in small doses, but you can’t ride him to a championship.

I predict that there will be a game or two where he really helps us to get a win.

But if we rely on him to play 30+ minutes a game down the stretch, we are in a world of trouble.

Wheeler is a solid backup PG for this team. He is like a change of pace RB, good in small doses, but you can’t ride him to a championship.

I predict that there will be a game or two where he really helps us to get a win.

But if we rely on him to play 30+ minutes a game down the stretch, we are in a world of trouble.
This. Idk why folks have to be so extreme on either side of the Wheeler debate. He’s a fine back up PG when utilized correctly.

Congrats to Wheeler. When he is older he'll always be able to point that stat out to the youngins.

This. Idk why folks have to be so extreme on either side of the Wheeler debate. He’s a fine back up PG when utilized correctly.
Agree.
But that is the way it is on almost every topic (not just Kentucky basketball), sports & non-sports, people SEEM to be "ALL or NOTHING" on the extremes. When actually, I think those who are on the extremes are mostly just the ones who are so convinced that they can't be wrong, that they are the MOST VOCAL.

But, but...there's a thread that says assists don't matter that much.
That thread actually says that having so many assists is a net negative for the team. Clearly, Wheeler is pretty good at getting assists, despite the fact that some here say he's the worst point guard in UK history. I'm not sure exactly how to reconcile those 2 extremes and I doubt anyone here would be able to give Wheeler enough credit for what he actually does well to be able to fairly answer the question. Don't misunderstand, I'd hate to label anyone's bias against him as hate. Surely they love the kid and think he's a fine human. They just attack, belittle, and disparage any positive contribution he makes to the team and can't allow a positive word about him go by without offering 2 negatives. But they love the guy.

I would suggest not posting garbage like these stats on this board. Clearly, those numbers are completely meaningless. Wheeler can play for Georgia but not here. If he plays more than 10 minutes in any subsequent game this season, he will be the reason for the loss. If he starts a game, what will be the over/under for threads started here naming Wheeler as the reason a loss is certain? (I'd set the o/u at 3 threads) If the team wins, how many comments about how terrible the opponent was in order to prove he can only play well against terrible opponents? (I'd set the comment o/u at 10)

One thing is sure- we have let Wheeler know he is loved and supported this season. It's a pure love fest. Anyone who reads this board in any unbiased way would conclude we love him as a person and support him as an equipment manager.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT