ADVERTISEMENT

All-Time NBA Draft Winner GoBigBlueFanGA

The bulls would not have won 8 in a row. Hakeem gets at least one of those, and maybe both even with Chicago. It may have even lead to Utah getting a title in 97 or 98 had he not retired

I totally agree. I’m in the minority by a mile on this but I think those Bulls teams were overrated & a bi-product of a shitty era of basketball. The great teams of the 80s were old & retiring & there weren’t too many great or even complete teams in the 90s. Offenses were bad & refs were whistle happy, too. Like, put the prime Bulls in the 80s & they don’t win 1 title, IMO. The 80s Lakers, Celtics & Sixers all would’ve wiped the floor with them, IMO. They couldn’t beat Detroit til they got old either. I’ve always thought Houston would’ve won at least one in 94 or 95, Jordan or not. I’m not saying Chicago wasn’t a very good team; I’m just saying they don’t belong in the conversation for best team ever like so many want to claim. The East was complete crap all thru the 90s & the biggest obstacles were Reggie Miller/Rik Smits & choker extraordinaire, Patrick Ewing.

Of the most realistic targets I had at 12, Hakeem was at the top of the list. I figured Kareem, WIlt and Russell would be taken within the first 11 picks. So I definitely wanted someone who could bang with and neutralize them. Nobody fit that bill for me better than Hakeem. I know Shaq was still young, but Hakeem took it to him in the 1995 Finals. That was after he took a couple other of the greatest centers of both that time and of all-time to school before seeing Shaq in '95, and then the year before in '94 (don't want to namedrop, so I won't). His spin moves and footwork were a work of art along with those fakes and drop steps. As I stated above, he's the only guy in NBA history with 3000 blocks and 2000 steals. So I know I'm getting an all-around .

I was wrong about Russell being picked, which really surprised me. Thought someone would take him in the top 10 just for his defensive prowess, his leadership and winning mentality. But with him on the board, that value was too good to pass up. Plus I chose to represent the C's, so it wouldn't have felt right for me not to take him. I figured have some choice of guys like Curry, Durant, Oscar, Hakeem and maybe Tim Duncan with Dr. J, Malone and others sort of on that second tier of guys under consideration for me. When Curry, Durant and Oscar were picked, I adjusted my strategy and decided to double up on two dominant defensive big guys who I know I can interchange at power forward and center. Since Bill Russell was maybe the best teammate in NBA history, it'll make that strategy so much easier for me.

I assumed Russell would go early too. Lots of very smart basketball minds still consider him a top 5 player all time & for good reason. He’s the physical embodiment of winning. ELITE rebounder, shot blocker & overall defender. And, like Bird, his intelligence was off the charts & he was 2-3 moves ahead of everybody else. About the only thing he doesn’t give you is perimeter scoring. He & Hakeem were both very good passers & could be used for a hell of a high-low game. And, good luck scoring in the paint against them. Hakeem was solid out to 18 ft too so I think they’d complement each other well. Wilt & AD is very nice too btw, @BigBlueFanGA. Two picks in & I can’t imagine anyone else having comparable post defense.

Kevin squared is a great start. I was glad KG finished his career where he started it after getting his ring in Boston.
Man gave a lot for Minnesota. Deserved to go back there after such a long career. He was an animal in those days but they just couldnt turn the corner. Always rooted for him with the Rondo connect in Boston.

Needed a little nastiness and strength next to KDs finesse.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Man gave a lot for Minnesota. Deserved to go back there after such a long career. He was an animal in those days but they just couldnt turn the corner. Always rooted for him with the Rondo connect in Boston.

KG never had that second superstar with him in Minnesota like Shaq had with Kobe in LA or David Robinson got when the Spurs drafted Tim Duncan in the time he was with the T-Wolves. But he got to Boston, and three great players sacrificed their stats for the better of the team. Unlike KG, it's too bad Karl Malone didn't finish his career in Utah where he started it even though I get that he wanted to chase a ring with the Lakers.

Surprised either of these guys are still available, give me AI and Sir Charles Barkley.

Lol I love how you put these two together. As I stated earlier, Inside the NBA did one of these all-time drafts. Charles Barkley had the first pick and selected Allen Iverson [laughing]

But seriously, Barkley was unbelievable. 6'6" and he could still rebound that well. Then AI taking that Sixers team to the Finals in 2001 was pure greatness. Pound for pound, he was one of the toughest when fully focused.

Reactions: jrpross
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT