ADVERTISEMENT

All signs point to Schlossnagle to MSU.

Miss State will go after a lot of other names before they go after a 2nd year coach who failed to make the ncaa tournament. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they give Henderson a short extension before going to Ming.

Great prediction (as usual).

What did you predict hotshot? That’s what I thought. You don’t know enough about it to have an even half-way informed opinion.

I also shared that the longer it went without Schlossnagle being announced the more likely it was that McDonnell was the pick.

I don’t think it took Schlossnagle a week to decide he didn’t want a job that he publically coveted. I think it took Cohen a week to tell him he wasn’t getting it.

Miss State will go after a lot of other names before they go after a 2nd year coach who failed to make the ncaa tournament. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they give Henderson a short extension before going to Ming.
Hush your mouth...LOL!

What did you predict hotshot? That’s what I thought. You don’t know enough about it to have an even half-way informed opinion.

I also shared that the longer it went without Schlossnagle being announced the more likely it was that McDonnell was the pick.

I don’t think it took Schlossnagle a week to decide he didn’t want a job that he publically coveted. I think it took Cohen a week to tell him he wasn’t getting it.

You look like a fool, b/c you acted like it was some sort of done deal "should be announced this week". You are not an insider, quit acting like it.

Well, it goes without saying that Cohen won't do anything publicly until Miss St is eliminated.

Childers and Neuhisel were discussing Gary Henderson today. They both said if MSU makes the CWS, you would almost have to bring him on as the permanent HC, at least for 2 or 3 years.

Childers and Neuhisel were discussing Gary Henderson today. They both said if MSU makes the CWS, you would almost have to bring him on as the permanent HC, at least for 2 or 3 years.

That's basically on the table as it is right now in my opinion. However, it all depends on whether or not Cohen can get a home run hire. If he can't get Snoss, Corbin, McDonnell or O'Sullivan then State fans will likely be disappointed and he should just stick with Hendo and see how he does.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
That's basically on the table as it is right now in my opinion. However, it all depends on whether or not Cohen can get a home run hire. If he can't get Snoss, Corbin, McDonnell or O'Sullivan then State fans will likely be disappointed and he should just stick with Hendo and see how he does.

Looks like McDonnell is staying put. Not good news for the BBN

Are hou insinuating Miss state may go after Mingione??? If they hire him then we get a new coach..win win

Brown would be devastated should MSU hire Mingione...my how the mighty have fallen (or something like that).

If that were to happen, UK should go all in on TnTech coach.

MSU is one win away from Omaha. Wonder at what point they give consideration to extending Hendo...

MSU is one win away from Omaha. Wonder at what point they give consideration to extending Hendo...

Didn't think that had much of a chance of happening, but that team has something special. Given the strikeouts by Cohen on his top targets, I now think that Hendo coming back is more likely than not.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Wouldn't be surprised if Hendo stay put as head coach.
Third game versus UK started Miss. State on a hot, hot run!
Interesting some Cards say coach McDonnell turned down Miss State job. Some Bulldog fans say coach McDonnell was not offered the job. Some Louisville sport outlets say coach McDonnell had a meaning conversation with MSU a.d. Cohen.
Very clear huh???

I really wonder at this point who Cohen is going to get. Most of the good coaches have turned him down. I know everyone wants to move to Stark Vegas!

I think he has to offer it to Hendo, CWS this season.

Granted he put the chances of MSU getting Schlossnagle or McDonell at “70%”, but Kendall Rogers does not think Cohen will hand the reigns to Henderson. And while Butch Thompson is the next man up, Rogers doesn’t think he’ll take it either even though he has MSU roots.

Whoever gets it is walking into a stacked roster that should be better next year as they get some guys healthy.

Last edited:
I think Cohen may have showed his cards too early in this coaching search. The big names he was allegedly looking at aren't guys scrambling for jobs. Instead, Cohen could've waited to see how the season played out before making overtures to those coaches.

I get the feeling nobody is more surprised by MSU's run to Omaha than Cohen right now, and it's got him backed into a little bit of a corner. Notwithstanding the prevailing opinion on this board, Gary Henderson is a well-respected coach nationally, and I doubt anyone wanted to accept the MSU job while they were still playing in the postseason. Imagine how uncomfortable it would've been had Schlossnagle accepted the position when it was supposedly offered, only to watch them go to Omaha under Henderson's leadership. That's a bad, if not unprecedented, look for Cohen if the situation had played out this way.

Cohen is fortunate the story of their run to Omaha has overshadowed any criticism he might've earned had they lost in the FSU Regional. Some deserved criticism would've been thrown his way for serving as a distraction while MSU was still playing. Cohen was a great coach, and is growing into becoming an excellent AD, but I'm sure he's learned some lessons from this situation.

Reactions: RogerIndy
I think Cohen may have showed his cards too early in this coaching search. The big names he was allegedly looking at aren't guys scrambling for jobs. Instead, Cohen could've waited to see how the season played out before making overtures to those coaches.

I get the feeling nobody is more surprised by MSU's run to Omaha than Cohen right now, and it's got him backed into a little bit of a corner. Notwithstanding the prevailing opinion on this board, Gary Henderson is a well-respected coach nationally, and I doubt anyone wanted to accept the MSU job while they were still playing in the postseason. Imagine how uncomfortable it would've been had Schlossnagle accepted the position when it was supposedly offered, only to watch them go to Omaha under Henderson's leadership. That's a bad, if not unprecedented, look for Cohen if the situation had played out this way.

Cohen is fortunate the story of their run to Omaha has overshadowed any criticism he might've earned had they lost in the FSU Regional. Some deserved criticism would've been thrown his way for serving as a distraction while MSU was still playing. Cohen was a great coach, and is growing into becoming an excellent AD, but I'm sure he's learned some lessons from this situation.

I have never heard of an AD, in any sport, openly looking for a new coach while his team is still playing. Maybe you have some behind the scenes conversations, but to do what Cohen is doing, I think is wrong.

I have never heard of an AD, in any sport, openly looking for a new coach while his team is still playing. Maybe you have some behind the scenes conversations, but to do what Cohen is doing, I think is wrong.

Happens all the time.

For instance, Cohen knew that Mullen was moving on in mid-October. So he spent the rest of the season vetting replacements.

In this case he's known he was going to need a new coach since early February when he fired Cannizaro. What is he supposed to do, sit on has ass and wait until June? The limiting factor for him is not MSU playing games. It is the guys he is interested in talking to still playing games.

Happens all the time.

For instance, Cohen knew that Mullen was moving on in mid-October. So he spent the rest of the season vetting replacements.

In this case he's known he was going to need a new coach since early February when he fired Cannizaro. What is he supposed to do, sit on has ass and wait until June? The limiting factor for him is not MSU playing games. It is the guys he is interested in talking to still playing games.
He's got a HC that's still playing and I think they will win their first game against Washington.

I think you're both right. Henderson and Cohen have a long relationship, and I'm sure Henderson stepped up, knowing full well Cohen was going to look for someone else at the end of the year. The fly in the ointment is that MSU has screwed around and gotten themselves to Omaha, which potentially moves Henderson up
to the A list.

The other point, and this is purely speculation in my part, is how uncomfortable did some of these other coaches feel discussing the potential opening at MSU while they were still playing in the postseason? I see your point about Mullen, but he was looking at Florida because they were having a crap season.

Gary Henderson is pretty well-respected in coaching circles and I'm not sure their postseason success didn't change the dynamics of the search process. Like I said, purely speculation on my part, but we went from Schlossnagle being considered a near-lock for the job to suddenly nobody wanted to touch it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT