ADVERTISEMENT

All OAD's stay home

Huh ? That's what I said, teams before have had enough Fr for a short
rotation, but of course never used.
We had 6 FR and raw Soph, (Hump)
could have eaten most of the minutes if were good enough.
We will probablly have 7-8 Fr next year..maybe all 5-4 *s. (8 man rotation)
Your opinion.....could they win a title??

How could anyone know yet if next year's team can win a Title?

We don't know who all will be on the team, we don't know how we will play, and we don't know what the other teams will look like.

But I have been informed by some other posters already that next year is a no go.

Tell me, could South Carolina win a Title this year? How would you have answered that question 6 months ago?

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Has that been said? I've will repeat what I have said.
"No one has ever won with ONLY Freshmen......."

That has changed. In the beginning it was you can't win with Freshmen leading the way. Then Cal won with Freshmen leading the way. So it changed to you can't win it with only Freshmen. But Cal nearly did away with that too, starting 5 freshmen in the National Title game in 2014. Class doesn't matter as much as people like to believe that it does. It takes a combination of talent, luck, and match-ups to win the title. It is why you will have a champion this year that hasn't won a championship since Cal arrived at UK, and possibly a champion that has never won a championship.

If it was just about talent and experience, you would have the 4 number one seeds playing in the final four every year. Since the seedings began, only 50% of the time does a number 1 seed win. Which equates to probably 25% of the time that the tournament actually crowns the best team.

All I could ask if for UK to be in the conversation the majority of the years. The more years we are in the discussion, the better shot we have at winning another title.

Cal's system is working just fine.

But yet Duke has 2 titles in the Cal Era with a blend of upper classman and OAD's...

You can't win with freshman

it's as if 2012 never happened lol

The 2012 had a perfect blend of Freshman and upper classmen. If we didn't have Darius Miller, Lamb or Jones come back we would've won it. Cal needs a blend of OAD's and sophmore 5*'s to come back with some role playing junior or senior players. That's the formula for Cal to bring us #9.

The 2012 had a perfect blend of Freshman and upper classmen. If we didn't have Darius Miller, Lamb or Jones come back we would've won it. Cal needs a blend of OAD's and sophmore 5*'s to come back with some role playing junior or senior players. That's the formula for Cal to bring us #9.

Jones and Lamb were not upperclassman tho.

We had one significant upperclassman on that team. ONE.

That has changed. In the beginning it was you can't win with Freshmen leading the way. Then Cal won with Freshmen leading the way. So it changed to you can't win it with only Freshmen. But Cal nearly did away with that too, starting 5 freshmen in the National Title game in 2014. Class doesn't matter as much as people like to believe that it does. It takes a combination of talent, luck, and match-ups to win the title. It is why you will have a champion this year that hasn't won a championship since Cal arrived at UK, and possibly a champion that has never won a championship.

If it was just about talent and experience, .............................................................
THANKS MAN, YOU JUST MADE MY POINT . ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................you would have the 4 number one seeds playing in the final four every year. Since the seedings began, only 50% of the time does a number 1 seed win. Which equates to probably 25% of the time that the tournament actually crowns the best team.

In the One and Done era, sophmores are 'upper classmen'. So yes we need good freshman to come back as sophmores. It's truly that simple.

Having kids come back obviously increases the odds. The more talent that stays in addition to the talent coming in obviously makes winning a title more likely.

But it's not a necessity.

The class thing is so overblown. You just need talent. We had three upperclassman this season. We had a SO. We didn't win a title.

poppycat, it is obvious you are only going to read what you want. Because the point is, there is no formula that yields championships year in and year out.

Problem is recently a lot of one and done kids, or at least five stars, are going to OK to worse basketball schools. Especially the 2015 and 2016 classes. Some of these guys just want to get their numbers and avoid the pressure of competing. Or they are stupid enough to think that they alone will be able to make a mediocre or worse team a contender. Simmons, Fultz, and Porter being the most egregious.

Happening again this year with Porter to Missouri, Mitchell Robinson to WKU, Collin Sexton to Alabama, Trae Young to Oklahoma, Lonnie Walker to Miami, Jeremiah Tilmon to Illinois.

Ben Simmons - LSU
Markelle Fultz - UW
Jonathan Isaac - FSU
Terrance Ferguson - Australia
Jarrett Allen - Texas
Jaylen Brown - Cal
Diamond Stone - Maryland
Ivan Rabb - Cal
Henry Ellenson - Marquette
Stephen Zimmerman - UNLV
Caleb Swanigan - Purdue
Dwayne Bacon - FSU
Rashad Vaughn - UNLV
Myles Turner - Texas

poppycat, it is obvious you are only going to read what you want. Because the point is, there is no formula

that yields championships year in and year out.

Of course you're right, but the odds improve with more talent
and more experience..........and the right mixture of each, (Plus some luck)

Collins for Gonzaga is considered a draft pick by some. I'd say he will show why in the next two games.

OAD is way overblown...its an easy target, but, our five versus the other five....seniors, freshman....whoever is better wins the game. Yesterday, UNC made one more play, like we made one more play in December.

I think having competent upperclassmen cant do anything but help. But, I'll take my chances with players like Fox, Monk, Bam, Ulis, Booker, Harrison(x2), Randle, Knight, Noel, Goodwin, Wall, Boogie, Bledsoe, etc, etc. We had Patterson as a junior in 2010. WCS with several experienced players in 2015.

We won in 2012 because we had all the pieces, whether they were seniors, sophs, or freshmen.

Reactions: poppycat
OAD is way overblown...its an easy target, but, our five versus the other five....seniors, freshman....whoever is better wins the game. Yesterday, UNC made one more play, like we made one more play in December.

I think having competent upperclassmen cant do anything but help. But, I'll take my chances with players like Fox, Monk, Bam, Ulis, Booker, Harrison(x2), Randle, Knight, Noel, Goodwin, Wall, Boogie, Bledsoe, etc, etc. We had Patterson as a junior in 2010. WCS with several experienced players in 2015.

We won in 2012 because we had all the pieces, whether they were seniors, sophs, or freshmen.

Exactly

Every loss will always bring up the "what if" factor.
What if????????
Meeks 1 more yr
Teague 1 more yr
Matthews back ..
Skal decides to grow at UK ,not NBA
SKJ had been as good as some thought.

Not one OAD in FF. no lottery pick in FF, maybe one first rounder.
(according to most mock drafts)
All four FF teams are made up of upper classmen with experience
with some good (not great) Fr..Is this the way it works best or should be??????????

Correlation doesn't imply causation

a466daf0d5d4b598da6c019ee8429ed5.jpg

Don't get me wrong I love Darius Miller but do we win the title without MKG and Anthony Davis?

People forget that the only only reason Jones and quite possibly lamb and Miller were on that team is because there was a NBA lockout. Could we have won that year without TJ? Without TJ and Lamb? Without TJ, Lamb, and Miller?
No, no, and no.

I just don't understand UK fans that can't see how well Coach Cal has done with the One and Done during his 8 years. We have been to the Final Four 4 times winning one and runner-up once. Coach Cal has been to 6 Elite 8's in 8 years. The last two years our seeding and bracket has been terrible. Last year with Murray and Ulis and we were placed with IU and UNC. This year the same with the 2 best teams in UCLA and UNC. It is not always how great you are or how much senior depth but where you are placed and seeded in the Brackets. This year you can't even say that with the game yesterday vs. UNC and losing on last shot. Like Coach Cal said a couple of times that the refs basically killed us in the 1st half especially when Fox picked up #2 at around 12 minutes in the 1st half. The 5 point deficit wouldn't been there with Fox on the Court those 12 minutes. We would had a 5 or 10 point lead with our team not in foul trouble those last 12 minutes. There were other calls that killed us besides the fouls too including a couple of goaltending calls in the 1st half. That was the worse half from refs that I had seen all year. In the 2nd half we go up five with five minutes and don't score for over 4 minutes and then we hit 3 threes in last minute. If we could had stayed closer to UNC and not behind by 7 with under a minute then we win this game yesterday. Coach Cal in his 8 years of One and Dones with a couple of shots here and there and a couple of calls could have been to the final four 6 years. We could have won 2 or 3 more Championships if we had a couple of breaks. Coach Cal has done an outstanding job with one and dones since coming to UK. Before he came and the Head Coaches we had we were lucky to get a #8 or #9 seed in the Tourney and if not that we were heading to the NIT. I believe UK fans forget about those years after Pitino leaves and what we went through for about 10 years.

ADVERTISEMENT