ADVERTISEMENT

All-Brooks vs All-Stoops teams

What???? Florida won the NATIONAL title in 2 of the years Brooks was at UK. Georgia won 10 or 11 games 5 times in Brooks time at UK, plus a 13 win season.

Florida also had Ron zook during his tenure. Georgia was only ok. Now they're probably the second best program in the nation with no signs of slowing

Miss state was way down. Think I forgot them earlier.

Noone said Brooks didn't face great teams. It's the sec. It's tough. But no tougher than now.

Reactions: fabcat
While the teams at the peak of the Brooks era had good offenses, the defenses weren’t bad either. Not as strong as what Stoops had this year, but no push-overs. Some here acting like Brooks teams were all offense. No, that was the Mumme era.

While the teams at the peak of the Brooks era had good offenses, the defenses weren’t bad either. Not as strong as what Stoops had this year, but no push-overs. Some here acting like Brooks teams were all offense. No, that was the Mumme era.

This year was far and away the best UK defense I have watched. They only gave up 195 points in a 12 game season for just over 16 points per game. Rich Brooks last 2 season gave up 279 over 21 points per game and 295 over 22 points per game. His best 2 teams the 2 8 win seasons his teams gave up 369 28 points per game and 385 29 points per game which was closer to Hal Mumme's best team in 1998 where his team gave up 375 points in 12 games including the Outback bowl for 31 points per game.

Reactions: The-Hack
This year was far and away the best UK defense I have watched. They only gave up 195 points in a 12 game season for just over 16 points per game. Rich Brooks last 2 season gave up 279 over 21 points per game and 295 over 22 points per game. His best 2 teams the 2 8 win seasons his teams gave up 369 28 points per game and 385 29 points per game which was closer to Hal Mumme's best team in 1998 where his team gave up 375 points in 12 games including the Outback bowl for 31 points per game.

Hey man, you really gonna pull out statistics facts on me? That’s really low. I don’t appreciate it. Don’t you know this is a message board?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The 2007 Brooks teams did have 2 games that went into multiple OT’s though. That dinged the scoring D average a bit. Anyway, I wasn’t saying Brooks best D was better than Stoops best, just that they weren’t terrible.

Looking at the rosters I’ve seen - I feel like Stoops’ teams would EAT in the trenches.

Drew Lock says, “Hello . . . .”

yeah so does Middle Tennessee State and the 1-11 CMU Chippewas...if those teams can score 23 and 20, Andre and the gang can hang 40...

Right now the All CRB squad gets a slight edge because of QB reliability, productivity as well as overall offensive balance and consistency. Too many playmakers, something the CMS era has not had an abundance of thus far.

All the CRB D has to do is stack the box and key on Benny.

Last edited:
Looking at the rosters I’ve seen - I feel like Stoops’ teams would EAT in the trenches.

The ‘08 team had 4 on the front who made regular season NFL teams, and I think among the 8 this season who rotated the three “hand-in-the-dirt” positions, we have that many or more who will.

But think about it, we had 8 this year rotating the 3 true D-line positions, and someone who spelled for Josh. Hence, our “front four” went 10 and even 11 deep, with Pascal’s return. Depth is Stoops’s key!

Last edited:
Reactions: fabcat
The Brooks team would win and I hate to say it but it would probably not even be close. The top Stoops' defense is a little better statistically than the top Brooks' defense but there isn't as much of a gap as it would look on paper. The Brooks teams gave up some stats to some really high powered offenses at that time. Stoops hasn't seen an offensive player that is even in the same conversation as Tebow for example and it wasn't just Florida. Basically everyone but Vandy had great offenses back then. So while Stoops' stats might look better the Brooks defense is still pretty close to them in actuality.

On offense however it's a different conversation. It would be a total butt whoppin in favor of Brooks. The offenses we've seen under Stoops wouldn't rank even among the top 5 offensive teams that we saw under Brooks. Names like Woodson, Cobb, Little Burton, Tamme, Stevie and that's just a small sample. There really aren't names under Stoops that even belong in that conversation save for Benny. Even Boom and Bowden wouldn't even make the depth chart with that group.

yeah so does Middle Tennessee State and the 1-11 CMU Chippewas...i

Might want to check that 45 point game against UF in regulation. Also, Mississippi State ran thru us all day.

You can cite our directionals and FCS opponents from 2007 or 2018.

Stoops hasn't seen an offensive player that is even in the same conversation as Tebow for example and it wasn't just Florida.

Both Nicky Fitz and Drew Lock are in the same conversation with Tebow.

I think Georgia has some very good offensive players. Just as good as Tebow and Company. Texas A&M only lost by 2 in a higher scoring game vs Clemson than when they played UK. I think you are seriously under valuing the season this team just had. They went 9 and 3. They won with a very good ground game coupled with great defense. Might be boring but Brooks 2 best teams gave up 28 and 29 per season, They had to win with Offense. They were much closer to Hal Mumme teams than they they were resembling this years team.

This years team had an SEC caliber Oline and DLine. They won in the trenches. Brooks teams never won games in the trenches vs SEC competition. I loved the Rich Brooks teams. Just love what is happening now with Stoops program.

The Brooks team would win and I hate to say it but it would probably not even be close. The top Stoops' defense is a little better statistically than the top Brooks' defense but there isn't as much of a gap as it would look on paper. The Brooks teams gave up some stats to some really high powered offenses at that time. Stoops hasn't seen an offensive player that is even in the same conversation as Tebow for example and it wasn't just Florida. Basically everyone but Vandy had great offenses back then. So while Stoops' stats might look better the Brooks defense is still pretty close to them in actuality.

On offense however it's a different conversation. It would be a total butt whoppin in favor of Brooks. The offenses we've seen under Stoops wouldn't rank even among the top 5 offensive teams that we saw under Brooks. Names like Woodson, Cobb, Little Burton, Tamme, Stevie and that's just a small sample. There really aren't names under Stoops that even belong in that conversation save for Benny. Even Boom and Bowden wouldn't even make the depth chart with that group.

I loved Papa Bear. But he didn’t have a defense that was nearly as good as this one. Not close. If we had this defense on 2 of his teams we may have won the SEC Championship. Loved his offenses he had here. Pro style sets and hard nose football. He just couldn’t get the depth to have a great defense. He and Stoops are very similar in a lot of ways. Both believe in hard nose football. Now I hope we have found our Andre Woodson with legs. If we have the next couple years could be special

They won in the trenches.

In short, looking at our 5 losses in the SEC in 2007, is a lot like looking at our 5 wins in the SEC in 2018, but in reverse.

In ‘18, we won 5 by playing defense and strong line play, on both sides. In ‘07, those factors were comparative weaknesses (against SEC competition) and we lost 5.

Some say the ‘07 team was close to 9 wins.

Yes.

Close.

The difference in most CFB games between close, and actually getting it done, comes from solid line play.

-bringing my post over from another thread:

-old narrative. SEC east has 4 teams in bcs top25...same as west,same as the whole BIG10, same as whole big 12, twice as many as whole ACC and one more than the whole pac 12. Get with the times, folks.

The sec isnt down now compared to when brooks was coaching...is it nostalgia/age that causes people to assume this? Don't know...but they're wrong.

Thank you haha

I loved Brooks. He had some great talent they developed. Little was better than Snell no doubt even though not as productive. Woodson better than Terry (so far). Wrs were all better except maybe Bowden who is basically Cobb light. Conrad is better than tamme just doesn't get the targets. OL is way better under stoops except warford.

On D it's almost all stoops except Robertson Pryor and a few middle LBs. Trevard was great for Brooks, but baity is as good and probably better.

Depth is miles better under stoops

This. The only thing that's changed is some the programs at the top.

Mizzou was way up.

Georgia Florida Tennessee were all down when Brooks was here. Still couldn't beat Florida or Tennessee.

South Carolina and vandy were about the same. Vandy picked up when Franklin came on board but I think that was joker's tenure.
Really? Little was better than the guy that is going to break our all time rushing record in 3 years?

Rich was a good choice (though many doubted and many went ballistic) at a time when our probation ridden program allowed UofL to sign all the best Kentucky players and every thug elsewhere. Rich stabilized our program. Joker temporarily killed Rich’s momentum. Thankfully, Mark was given time and much needed upgrades to bring our football program to a competitive and nationally ranked achievement. In my mind, Rich set the bar and Mark (with great recruiting) has taken us to a place we haven’t been in decades. At the end of the day, we are in the mix for championship SEC football.
If you remember, he was like the 4th or 5th choice too. It ended up good, but at the time we couldn't find someone to take the job. That shows you where we have come from then to now. He did a great job of getting us in a position where we could move forward. Unfortunately, the Joker experiment didn't work, even though I think most Kentucky fans wanted it to.

Offensively Brooks overall had better players but even in Brooks’s last year his team give up 27 or more points in 7 games. The Fla game was 41 points.

I think the 2007 SEC schedule was tougher.

2007 Final AP poll
1 LSU
2 Georgia
12 Tennessee
13 Florida
Others Receiving Votes
Arkansas
Miss St

2018 AP Poll Before Bowls
6 Georgia
10 Florida
18 Miss St
21 A&M
24 Missouri

2018 has more ranked teams but not at as high of a level as 2007. Plus this is before the bowl game this year. You could have some teams move up but you could also have A&M and Missouri drop out with poor bowl performances. Missouri also wasn't even part of the SEC in 2007. 2007 also had a good Arkansas team with McFadden and MSU had their best team in 7 years with Croom winning SEC COY. UL was also better in 2007 than in 2018.

Both played tough schedules, but I just think you have to give the advantage to 2007. Throw in the coaches of that time period we had to face as well (Urban Meyer, Phil Fulmer, Mark Richt, Steve Spurrier, and Les Miles). Everyone of them won a national championship except Richt but even he won the conference multiple times and the division a couple more.

By the way, if we could merge the 2007 offense with the 2018 defense, that's a playoff contender for sure. I just wish we could have both sides of the ball be great at the same time for just once in my life (preferably more than that).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT