ADVERTISEMENT

All-Brooks vs All-Stoops teams

point1zero

Sophomore
Apr 9, 2009
Brooks best vs Stoops best! Who ya got coming out on top? The 2007 team was a few plays away from being 9-3 like this years Cats. Watch that recently bias. (Sorry I got a little lazy with O-linemen. Feel free to help me jar my memory).

QB: Woodson vs Johnson/Wilson
RB1: Little vs Snell
RB2: Locke vs Boom
WRX: Cobb/Abney vs Bowden
WRY: Burton vs Garret Johnson
WRZ: Stevie Johnson vs Badet/Blue
RT: ? vs. Young
RG: Zipp Duncan vs Stallings
C: ? vs Toth
LG: C. Johnson vs GAA
LT: Vs Swindle/D. Miller
TE: Tamme vs Conrad

DE/LB: DeQ. Evans vs Allen/Dupree
DT/Nose: Pryor vs. CJ Johnson
DT: Peters vs. Middleton/Bohanna
DE: Jarmon vs. Z. Smith
SLB: Woodyard vs Boogie Watson
MLB: M. Johnson vs Daniel/Forrest
WLB: Trevathan vs J. Jones
CB: Lindley vs Baity
SS: McClinton vs West
FS: Guy vs Edwards
CB: Warford vs L. Johnson/Westry

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce
I’m taking Stoops best and it’s not close IMO. So much more talent on the Stoops side of the ball. A lot of love for that Brooks team though. They were fun to watch and played with heart and passion.

Maybe after you get into depth issues, but straight up as presented it’s closer than you’re making it out to be IMO.

The 2007 team had the potential to be 10-2, 9-3. They played in a tougher SEC East. Like this years team they had one stinker of a game (ironically a 17 point loss to a team they should have beat... to make it worse it was at home though).

People seem to forget how good Little was before injuries set in. In 2004 he was 2nd nationally in all purpose yards behind Heisman winner Reggie Bush.

Allen makes all the difference in the world though. He’s that good. Plus I could see the 2007 team having issues with Wilson’s ability to scramble. God knows we witnessed countless QBs scramble for 8+ yards on 3rd down.

I think it would be a good game.

Brooks best vs Stoops best! Who ya got coming out on top? The 2007 team was a few plays away from being 9-3 like this years Cats. Watch that recently bias. (Sorry I got a little lazy with O-linemen. Feel free to help me jar my memory).

I’ve underlined a few changes I would make (from what I can remember)
WRY: Chris Matthews vs Garret Johnson
RT: Eric Scott or Justin Jeffries vs. Young
RG: C. Johnson vs Stallings
C: Matt Smith vs Toth
LG: Larry Warford vs GAA
LT: Garry Williams/D. Miller

DT/Nose: Pryor vs. Bohanna
DT: Peters vs. Middleton/CJ Johnson
MLB: Avery Williamson vs Daniel/Forrest
CB: Warford vs L. Johnson

Last edited:
Reactions: JStaff2187

WRY: Burton vs Garret Johnson
RT: ? vs. Young
RG: Zipp Duncan vs Stallings
C: ? vs Toth
LG: C. Johnson vs GAA
LT: Vs Swindle/D. Miller

DT/Nose: Pryor vs. CJ Johnson
DT: Peters vs. Middleton/Bohanna
MLB: M. Johnson vs Daniel/Forrest
CB: Warford vs L. Johnson/Westry
Drake Jackson is a very good center for Stoops!

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Put those interior DL’s on Stoops team and wow! As good as our current guys are, that might may be an upgrade. Would be a championship level defense.

My combined roster (2 deep), Bold names are from Brooks era

RB: Snell, Little
WRX: Cobb, Bowden
WRY: Chris Matthews, Keenan Burton
WRZ: Stevie Johnson, Badet
RT: Cole Mosier, GAA
RG: Bunchy Stallings, C. Johnson
C: John Toth, Drake Jackson
LG: Larry Warford, Logan Stenberg
LT: Garry Williams, Landon Young
TE: Conrad, Jacob Tamme

DE/LB: Josh Allen, Bud Dupree
DT/Nose: Myron Pryor, Quinton Bohanna
DT: Corey Peters, CJ Johnson
DE: Jeremy Jarmon, Z. Smith
SLB: Wesley Woodyard, Boogie Watson
MLB: Avery Williamson, Kash Daniel
WLB: Danny Trevathan vs Jordan Jones
CB: Trevard Lindley, JD Harmon
SS: Darius West, Marcus McWilson
FS: Mike Edwards, Marcus McClinton
CB: Derrick Baity, Lonnie Johnson

I cannot imagine how dangerous Bennie would've been with Woodson and that WR core

Like both teams a lot!
Think this years team across the 1st & 2nd units particularly both l.o.s. are deeper.

-bringing my post over from another thread:

-old narrative. SEC east has 4 teams in bcs top25...same as west,same as the whole BIG10, same as whole big 12, twice as many as whole ACC and one more than the whole pac 12. Get with the times, folks.

The sec isnt down now compared to when brooks was coaching...is it nostalgia/age that causes people to assume this? Don't know...but they're wrong.

Last edited:
-bringing my post over from another thread:

-old narrative. SEC east has 4 teams in bcs top25...same as west, 1 more than the whole BIG10, same as whole big 12, twice as many as whole ACC and one more than the whole pac 12. Get with the times, folks.

The sec isnt down now compared to when brooks was coaching...is it nostalgia/age that causes people to assume this? Don't know...but they're wrong.

I think the 2007 year, the Cats had a tougher schedule. LSU was ranked number, the Tebow-led Gators were incredibly tough, Louisville and South Carolina were ranked top 15 as well.

That 2007 team still should've won 9-10 games b/c they laid an egg against MSST, and they had no business losing to a 5-7 UT team (man that sounds familiar). However, as has been noted in this thread, the 2007 lacked depth (especially on the lines of scrimmage), and that was the reason that team faltered in the second half of the season.

^ UT was 9-3 that year and won the east losing to LSU in the title. Beat Wisconsin to finish 10-4. Tough but understandable loss.

I loved Brooks. He had some great talent they developed. Little was better than Snell no doubt even though not as productive. Woodson better than Terry (so far). Wrs were all better except maybe Bowden who is basically Cobb light. Conrad is better than tamme just doesn't get the targets. OL is way better under stoops except warford.

On D it's almost all stoops except Robertson Pryor and a few middle LBs. Trevard was great for Brooks, but baity is as good and probably better.

Depth is miles better under stoops

This. The only thing that's changed is some the programs at the top.

Mizzou was way up.

Georgia Florida Tennessee were all down when Brooks was here. Still couldn't beat Florida or Tennessee.

South Carolina and vandy were about the same. Vandy picked up when Franklin came on board but I think that was joker's tenure.

I wish it actually possible to see this game. Would give all new meaning to a Blue/White game!

Great discussion. I love Benny but healthy R. Little was dynamic- great returner, receiver and rusher. Not sure Brooks teams are as deep as we are now. Allen, Dupree and Z. Smith not sure Brooks had anyone like those guys. Brooks Had some great interior linemen though. Again great topic.

Lean towards the Brooks team on offense if for no other reason Andre Woodson was one of the best QBs to ever play here and he knew how to maximize the talent that was around him.

Similarly I think Allen gives Stoops the better defense but both units have a lot of NFL caliber talent.

Overall the difference is depth Brook's team didn't have much on either side and Stoops has quite a bit. The lack of depth is why Brooks couldn't get past 7 wins.

Reactions: jauk11
Great discussion. I love Benny but healthy R. Little was dynamic- great returner, receiver and rusher.

I think Boom was better than Little. There has never been a better big play player at Kentucky ever. Little averaged 6.1 yards per play both running and catching combined. Boom averaged 6.8 just running alone.

But Brooks team wins because of Woodson. QB is most important position and he was a great one. Even with Stoops best all star offense, it struggles against elite defenses.

I think Boom was better than Little. There has never been a better big play player at Kentucky ever. Little averaged 6.1 yards per play both running and catching combined. Boom averaged 6.8 just running alone.

But Brooks team wins because of Woodson. QB is most important position and he was a great one. Even with Stoops best all star offense, it struggles against elite defenses.
I’m a big Boom fan but also a Little guy...Little was a much better all purpose back...Boom had 38 receptions in his career whereas Little had 131...Little was also a more successful kick returner.

I thought think would be a fun topic as they seem evenly matched. Both are good on both sides of the ball even if one is better on one side. Couldn’t say that until this year in my opinion. Stoops has caught up.

My combined roster (2 deep), Bold names are from Brooks era

RB: Snell, Little
WRX: Cobb, Bowden
WRY: Chris Matthews, Keenan Burton
WRZ: Stevie Johnson, Badet
RT: Cole Mosier, GAA
RG: Bunchy Stallings, C. Johnson
C: John Toth, Drake Jackson
LG: Larry Warford, Logan Stenberg
LT: Garry Williams, Landon Young
TE: Conrad, Jacob Tamme

DE/LB: Josh Allen, Bud Dupree
DT/Nose: Myron Pryor, Quinton Bohanna
DT: Corey Peters, CJ Johnson
DE: Jeremy Jarmon, Z. Smith
SLB: Wesley Woodyard, Boogie Watson
MLB: Avery Williamson, Kash Daniel
WLB: Danny Trevathan vs Jordan Jones
CB: Trevard Lindley, JD Harmon
SS: Darius West, Marcus McWilson
FS: Mike Edwards, Marcus McClinton
CB: Derrick Baity, Lonnie Johnson

I cannot imagine how dangerous Bennie would've been with Woodson and that WR core

Don't forget about Ventrell Jenkins, a formidable DE/DT combo.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I think the difference would be Stoops team at least this year competes in the trenches better than Brooks teams ever did. Stoops has built an SEC caliber OLine and DLine. Brooks had very good skill level but was always under sized in those areas.

Reactions: The-Hack
Brooks vs. Stoops is worth 10 points in itself for the old guy's team. Throw in the extremely better talent on Brooks offense, and you have a rout.

I feel like I am eating crazy pills here. Brooks offense is way ahead of Stoops. Conrad better than Tamme? Tamme was a solid 9 year pro.

I feel like I am eating crazy pills here. Brooks offense is way ahead of Stoops. Conrad better than Tamme? Tamme was a solid 9 year pro.

Yeah, I was going to put Tamme as my first teamer, but I didn't for some reason... probably just b/c he's fresher on my mind.

I’m taking Brooks teams and really don’t think it’s that close. Brooks played in a infinitely tougher SEC. Not a knock on Stoops, more a nod to how great Brooks was at identifying and developing talent.
Love the 2007 team. They kinda crapped the bed after LSU tho

Yes. Simply because Kentucky is near the top, some assume it is weaker.

The East had a clear winning advantage over the West, including Bama’s win over Georgia, which was not a cakewalk for Bama.

Reactions: rudd1
Stoops has built an SEC caliber OLine and DLine. Brooks had very good skill level but was always under sized in those areas.

Stoops D-line, and Josh, would likely render Brook’s team one-dimensional. The weakness that brought an early end to Woodson’s NFL hopes, holding the ball on a hip, and a swooping windup ( he was stripped 3 times in one NFL preseason game) would have made those long completions to Stevie, etc., problematical.

Brooks teams were much better at WR with Cobb, Johnson, Burton, Lyons, Mathews,....
Stoops teams much better with edge rushers Allen, Dupree... and offensive line.
Stoops better at RB
Brooks teams much better at LB (not counting Allen, Dupree.. as LBs). Jordan Jones the only LB who could play on Brooks' teams. Trevathan, Woodyard, Maxwell, Johnson were an embarrassment of riches.
Brooks teams better at QB with Lorenzen for one year, and Woodson. Hartline's best year was under Joker.
Stoops better DBs. Lindley best CB but Stoops much more depth at CB and S.
Brooks gets the edge at TE with Tamme although Conrad is a better blocker.
Brooks better with interior D-line with Peters, Pryor, Jenkins, etc.

Brooks teams were much better at WR with Cobb, Johnson, Burton, Lyons, Mathews,....
Stoops teams much better with edge rushers Allen, Dupree... and offensive line.
Stoops better at RB
Brooks teams much better at LB (not counting Allen, Dupree.. as LBs). Jordan Jones the only LB who could play on Brooks' teams. Trevathan, Woodyard, Maxwell, Johnson were an embarrassment of riches.
Brooks teams better at QB with Lorenzen for one year, and Woodson. Hartline's best year was under Joker.
Stoops better DBs. Lindley best CB but Stoops much more depth at CB and S.
Brooks gets the edge at TE with Tamme although Conrad is a better blocker.
Brooks better with interior D-line with Peters, Pryor, Jenkins, etc.
Rich was a good choice (though many doubted and many went ballistic) at a time when our probation ridden program allowed UofL to sign all the best Kentucky players and every thug elsewhere. Rich stabilized our program. Joker temporarily killed Rich’s momentum. Thankfully, Mark was given time and much needed upgrades to bring our football program to a competitive and nationally ranked achievement. In my mind, Rich set the bar and Mark (with great recruiting) has taken us to a place we haven’t been in decades. At the end of the day, we are in the mix for championship SEC football.

People still credit the 07 Louisville team as a big win because they were ranked early but ended not being good. They ended up 6-6, that is in no way good or a big win. It doesn’t matter if they were incorrectly ranked when we played them, they were still not good.

Give me Stoops team by the way, people like Brooks because they won with offense and that entertains people.

Really an O vs D discussion...CRB had the O CMS has the edge in D...

The CRB and Joker O would simply score more than the offense CMS can scrap together...

The firepower of Andre, Tamme, Cobb, Burton, Johnson, Lyons, Locke, etc would be too much in the end...

If you throw the Hefty in there since he played for CRB...game over...Talk about a Wildcat package with he and Cobb running pass and multiple run option...forget about it...

Tim Masthay and CRB era special teams get the edge as well...

Last edited:
I’ve underlined a few changes I would make (from what I can remember)
WRY: Chris Matthews vs Garret Johnson
RT: Eric Scott or Justin Jeffries vs. Young
RG: C. Johnson vs Stallings
C: Matt Smith vs Toth
LG: Larry Warford vs GAA
LT: Garry Williams/D. Miller

DT/Nose: Pryor vs. Bohanna
DT: Peters vs. Middleton/CJ Johnson
MLB: Avery Williamson vs Daniel/Forrest
CB: Warford vs L. Johnson

I dream of the day when we no longer have to make these kinds of choices as ALL of these kinds of guys are on the same team. Then we'll have a legitimate shot at an SEC title.

Georgia Florida Tennessee were all down when Brooks was here. Still couldn't beat Florida or Tennessee.

South Carolina and vandy were about the same. Vandy picked up when Franklin came on board but I think that was joker's tenure.

What???? Florida won the NATIONAL title in 2 of the years Brooks was at UK. Georgia won 10 or 11 games 5 times in Brooks time at UK, plus a 13 win season.

Let’s not leave special teams out of this discussion. I’d take Tim Masthay at punter and Austin Macginnis at kicker.

I honestly don’t remember much about our coverage teams under Brooks but UK has been very solid the last couple years in kick/punt coverage under Stoops

ADVERTISEMENT