ADVERTISEMENT

All Almost UK Team

Deli owl

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2015
Meh I was bored. Name your alltime players that almost went to UK. Starters and 6th man. This sent just players recruited but came close and were expected to come here. Just going by memory so may change as people post. [thumb2]

PG - Jason Kidd
SG - Hamidou Diallo
SF - Andrew Wiggins
PF - Shawn Kemp
C - Moses Malone

6M - Dirk Nowitzki

Don't remember a great shooting guard we lost so I put the only one I remembered.

Have fun and drink beer. [cheers]

Reactions: BlueSince92
Meh I was bored. Name your alltime players that almost went to UK. Starters and 6th man. This sent just players recruited but came close and were expected to come here. Just going by memory so may change as people post. [thumb2]

PG - Jason Kidd
SG - Hamidou Diallo
SF - Andrew Wiggins
PF - Shawn Kemp
C - Moses Malone

6M - Dirk Nowitzki

Don't remember a great shooting guard we lost so I put the only one I remembered.

Tracy Mcgrady or Allen Iverson at sg

PG - Tony Parker
SG - Ray Allen
SF - Andrew Wiggins
PF - Elton Brand
C - Ralph Sampson

6th man - Darryl Dawkins

Reactions: DanHalen88
This list starts with R Sampson..UK would have won 2-3 titles with him on the early 80's teams..him on the 84 team..wow..And he was set to come till the last day..He even wore UK warm up at the All-Star game

PG - Jason Kidd
SG - Hamidou Diallo
SF - Andrew Wiggins
PF - Shawn Kemp
C - Moses Malone

6M - Dirk Nowitzki

SG Kidd, pg penny hard

PG - Jason Kidd
SG - Hamidou Diallo
SF - Andrew Wiggins
PF - Shawn Kemp
C - Moses Malone

6M - Dirk Nowitzki

Pg Kidd, SG Hardaway, C Kanter, PF Webber, SF O'neal

Sampson, McGrady, Iverson, Dirk, Kemp

This is it and they need no 6 man, just stop the thread now.

My list exactly, and I shouldn't have even added Wiggins as 6th man.

The cover of SI with the title of "the next lebron" will forever Shape the way I think of Wiggins. Then of course he picked Kansas and Bill Self, thus doing his image no favors.

Reactions: brianpoe
Wiggins was not close to coming here. I went to a few of his games and talked and mingled with his crew and he wanted nothing of UK. He actually hated all the attention bbn was giving him. I came to the board and told everybody to layoff asking him for autographs and pics from him as he didnt like it at all. Everybody poo poo'd it off and wrote him down like he was already in the lineup for the next year.

If UK just said hello to otto porter and offered him he would have been a cat. Durant really wanted uk to recruit him, wright grew up a uk fan as did kennard. But jermaine oneil, mcgrady, dirk and iverson would have all been at uk if it wasnt for the straight outta hs rule and a bowling alley fight in the case of iverson. After that brawl he was then qualified for georgetown.
We recruited webber hard and some thought we lead for him, at least what Billy Donavon told me. But everybody in his circle always said it was gonna be michigan.
Kemp was enrolled at Uk so he kinda technically was a wildcat. Sean sutton should have let him keep those gold chains. Lol

Bill Willoughby
Darryl Dawkins
Ralph Sampson
Harvey Grant
Jermaine O'Neal
Tracy McGrady
Shawn Kemp

UK signed both Willoughby, & Kemp of course neither played here. Dawkins never signed with anyone but UK was the school he would have played for if he would have played college ball. Grant I believed gave UK a verbal commitment but never signed. Sampson appeared headed to UK, but at the last minute said Virginia, & then he said I think......Oh my, what might have been. Also an NBA team asked O'Neal before the draft, what college he would have chosen if he would have played college BB..... His answer, Kentucky

Last edited:
Malone signed with Marlyand per his wiki page.
As a 6'10 senior at Maynard Evans High School in Orlando, Florida, Dawkins averaged 32 points and 21 rebounds to lead his team to the state championship. He was heavily recruited by Division I colleges across the country, and narrowed his choices to attending Florida State, Kansas, or Kentucky.[3]

In a surprise move, Dawkins opted to directly enter the NBA draft out of high school, instead of attending college. He made his decision because he wanted to make enough money to help his grandmother, mother and siblings out of poverty. He became the first high school player to directly enter the NBA after his high school graduation.[4][5]

Webber was Michigan all the way, the paid for him way back when he was still pooping his pants, no way in any shape or form was he in on UK.

Darius Rice. Not because of who he was or how good he was, but because he was at the epicenter of the early internet fan board days for Kentucky fans. That was my earliest memory of an epic recruitment.
Mine too. Literally my first memory of a recruitment on a message board.

Moses Malone is a no. Maryland.

Sampson was famously close.

Iverson never got far enough into his recruitment for anyone to really say UK. The famous brawl happened in February of his junior year in HS.

Jason Kidd was being recruited by everyone, never remember hearing him as any kind of heavy UK lean. He was so good in HS that Nike was paying to fly him to LA nearly every weekend to play for an LA-based, Nike sponsored AAU team. It was going to be very difficult to get him off the West Coast.

Nowitzki was a big "maybe". He was a heavy Cal (Berkeley) lean, but was starting to expand his recruitment when it became obvious he should enter the draft. We all know he's talked up the UK connection (though that's really only been the last 7 years, after Cal made UK the cool college brand).

Tony Parker never got very far into any kind of recruiting. The schools I remember hearing were UCLA and Georgia Tech.

McGrady was a yes. Dickie V even announced him committing to UK during a November game in 96. McGrady backed off that, then headed to the pros.

Jermaine O'Neal was a "probably". That said, UK has NEVER had a player from South Carolina. The home school was really desperate on that one, so who really knows?

Last edited:
Man, I can only imagine how bad UK would have been if BCG was given another year or two. Thank God.
There were rumblings that many of the players on that 09 team would have left the team if Billy Clyde had come back either by transfer (Miller, Liggins, Harrellson, Harris, Stevenson) quitting basketball (Porter) or the NBA (Meeks and Patterson).

The only bright spot was that we had Daniel Orton and Jon Hood coming in. And I think Vilarino would have been in that first class as well, although I wouldn't consider that a bright spot.

Moses Malone is a no. Maryland.

Sampson was famously close.

Iverson never got far enough into his recruitment for anyone to really say UK. The famous brawl happened in February of his junior year in HS.

Jason Kidd was being recruited by everyone, never remember hearing him as any kind of heavy UK lean. He was so good in HS that Nike was paying to fly him to LA nearly every weekend to play for an LA-based, Nike sponsored AAU team. It was going to be very difficult to get him off the West Coast.

Nowitzki was a big "maybe". He was a heavy Cal (Berkeley) lean, but was starting to expand his recruitment when it became obvious he should enter the draft. We all know he's talked up the UK connection (though that's really only been the last 7 years, after Cal made UK the cool college brand).

Tony Parker never got very far into any kind of recruiting. The schools I remember hearing were UCLA and Georgia Tech.

McGrady was a yes. Dickie V even announced him committing to UK during a November game in 96. McGrady backed off that, then headed to the pros.

Jermaine O'Neal was a "probably". That said, UK has NEVER had a player from South Carolina. The home school was really desperate on that one, so who really knows?
Now here is a true recruinik with some accurate info..... Mcgrady to this day still has UK feelings. A couple ncaa tourneys ago he was all up on the UK tip,longing that he would have had the opportunity to play in the ncaat.

ADVERTISEMENT