ADVERTISEMENT

Albany shooter picks Nova

Take shots at wright all you want but they will be too 5 and will have a better chance than us at a title

I’d bet a large sum of money Nova won’t even sniff the top 5. They will be a 4-8 seed in the tournament. Absolutely zero chance at top 5.

They will be far and away the best team in the Big East and finish with a gaudy record and a probable 1/2 seed. They have a lot of talent coming back even if DiVincenzo and Spellman stay in the draft.

Also if we return 2 of 3 of Gabriel, Washington and Vanderbilt we will mop the floor with next years NOVA.

Next years Nova isn’t this years Nova. Not even close.

Agreed. BUT, our '97 Wildcats weren't even close to the '96 version that won it all. But they still made it to the title game. And the '98 Cats weren't even that good. And they won it all again. No need to compare our teams from back then to next year's Nova squad. I'm just sayin'...you never know.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I guess we just ignore their early flameouts.

I really hate basketball fans who can’t remember past two months.
Two of the last three years is not just last couple of months. When we won it 2 out of 3 years we said it was the most dominant three year stretch in history :)

Reactions: Kybluedude
Two of the last three years is not just last couple of months. When we won it 2 out of 3 years we said it was the most dominant three year stretch in history :)

I didn’t just start watching basketball the last 3 years. I remember what they have also done.

If you’ve flamed out 8 of 10x, why would I ignore the 8 and focus on the two?

They will be far and away the best team in the Big East and finish with a gaudy record and a probable 1/2 seed. They have a lot of talent coming back even if DiVincenzo and Spellman stay in the draft.
You’d consider Paschall & Booth “a lot of talent?” They’re good players and they have a decent class coming in but only one fringe top-25 guy. Cremo is a nice pickup but they’ll be a HUGE step down this year.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Yeah, I bet. Everyone here would be hunky dory with all his exits before the 2nd round.

I’m surrounded by shortsighted kneejerk idiots who chase any shiny object.

You’re the idiot. There is no knee jerk. They have won two out of the last three titles. Man I hate college basketball fans who live with their heads in the sand. Geesh!

nova is the new uf. As the immortal Al McGuire once said..not this has anything to do with this thread....Kentucky was there before you, was there during you and will be there after you. Just like uf and soon to be nova.

The problem with that mindset is that had he been at Kentucky, people would have been calling for his head long before he had the chance to win the 1st one.
Uh, I don’t think Jay would have had any bad seasons if he were coaching at UK. Silly comparison.
The bottom line is he’s won two titles with a helluva lot less resources than what we have here.

Reactions: crpoore
The right (Wright) way to build a program. No rentals at a place like Nova.
Best coach in the sport today. Class guy, plays a fun style, and somehow manages to keep his name out of all the mud while always bringing in talented players. Nevermind the two titles.

Of course this will be interpreted like a trash on Cal who I’ll always appreciate when really I’m just agreeing that Jay Wright is the bomb shit.

The problem with that mindset is that had he been at Kentucky, people would have been calling for his head long before he had the chance to win the 1st one.
People lost their minds in the Noel season. For sports fans UK especially its all about what have you done for me lately. This guy taking 8 flame outs? BS youd be crying and sniveling with thousands of other fans on here.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I didn’t just start watching basketball the last 3 years. I remember what they have also done.

If you’ve flamed out 8 of 10x, why would I ignore the 8 and focus on the two?
Was just responding to your comment of “idiots” only focused on two months. Villanova has had early exits in earlier Wright years for sure but they have been best team the past three years. Have to admit that what he has built at Villanova is impressive - and it is a fun style which seems to be directionally where Cal is going with our recruiting.

nova is the new uf. As the immortal Al McGuire once said..not this has anything to do with this thread....Kentucky was there before you, was there during you and will be there after you. Just like uf and soon to be nova.
Always been one of my favorite quotes by a non-Kentucky coach - and very true. I may be wrong but I don’t think Villanova will fall like Florida. However, if Wright were to leave like Donovan did i think you could be right. Wright needs to be at Villanova at least five more years to establish a more clear long term trajectory for Villanova

The season before the championship I believe they were like 14-18....last losing season for uk was....no coach surviving here with second round exits followed by losing season. Wright wouldn’t have had a chance to win 2 titles

I’d bet a large sum of money Nova won’t even sniff the top 5. They will be a 4-8 seed in the tournament. Absolutely zero chance at top 5.

How many people thought Xavier was going to be a one seed? Expectations fail and are surpassed every year so who knows.

The season before the championship I believe they were like 14-18....last losing season for uk was....no coach surviving here with second round exits followed by losing season. Wright wouldn’t have had a chance to win 2 titles

They were a one seed in 2015.

"Wright wouldn’t have had a chance to win 2 titles"

He hasn't been on the same level as a UK in terms of resources/expectations. You think Cal's career at Memphis was all awesome? He had one Final Four in nine seasons at Memphis. In eight years at UMass, he had one Final Four. In those 17 seasons, he had four NIT appearances. So no national championships in his first 19 years of coaching college basketball. It's foolish to compare non-blue bloods as being on an even playing field in terms of resources, exposure, etc.

Nova is a small catholic school and despite that, he has two national titles and three Final Fours. Compare his numbers to Cal's and they're not much different. Over the last 10 seasons, Nova is tied for second with three Final Four appearances. Only Kentucky has had more with four.

Last edited:
They were a one seed in 2015.

"Wright wouldn’t have had a chance to win 2 titles"

He hasn't been on the same level as a UK in terms of resources/expectations. You think Cal's career at Memphis was all awesome? He had one Final Four in nine seasons at Memphis. In eight years at UMass, he had one Final Four. In those 17 seasons, he had four NIT appearances. So no national championships in his first 19 years of coaching college basketball. It's foolish to compare non-blue bloods as being on an even playing field in terms of resources, exposure, etc.

Nova is a small catholic school and despite that, he has two national titles and three Final Fours. Compare his numbers to Cal's and they're not much different. Over the last 10 seasons, Nova is tied for second with three Final Four appearances. Only Kentucky has had more with four.

Ah it's huge difference.

Not sure what you are smoking. Their win percentage is almost 10% difference.

Cal has had more tourney win at UK than Wright has his whole career.

Cal has been in 3 programs, rebuilding two shit programs. He had Wall and Boogie coming to Memphis, that would have been sick ass team had he stayed.

Villanova has a title before wright got there. Neither UMass or Memphis can even remotely compare to the program history.

Cal's win record is better with two shittier program than Jay Wright's. Compare UK's time and the Gap is huge.

Sure Jay wright will be better at UK but nothing is guaranteed.

Oh and why does no one bring in the argument of...

What happens if Cal stays here for 19 years? Why do we argue his best is in the past, (implied)?

Ah it's huge difference.

Not sure what you are smoking. Their win percentage is almost 10% difference.

Cal has had more tourney win at UK than Wright has his whole career.

Cal has been in 3 programs, rebuilding two shit programs. He had Wall and Boogie coming to Memphis, that would have been sick ass team had he stayed.

Villanova has a title before wright got there. Neither UMass or Memphis can even remotely compare to the program history.

Cal's win record is better with two shittier program than Jay Wright's. Compare UK's time and the Gap is huge.

Sure Jay wright will be better at UK but nothing is guaranteed.

In terms of banners, which is what everyone seems to be about, Wright isn't far off. We can't in the same breath, bash Wright for fizzling out in the second round of the tourney despite being a top seed and then in the next breath talk about win percentage with Cal.

Also, using Cal's win record in the A-10 and C-USA versus the Big East is hardly a fair comparison.

"Cal has had more tourney win at UK than Wright has his whole career."
Well, I'd hope so considering the amount of talent we've had compared to the talent he's had at Nova. Wright has had like two NBA first round draft picks his entire career.

Memphis and Nova aren't that different in decades past. Nova had final fours in 39, 71, 85 and a championship as an 8 seed before Wright got there. In Memphis, they had two final fours in 1973 and 1985. Not very far off in terms of banners. Obviously they're secondary programs but it's not an absurd comparison to judge Wright at Nova vs UMass/Memphis.

Oh and why does no one bring in the argument of...

What happens if Cal stays here for 19 years? Why do we argue his best is in the past, (implied)?

Who has made that argument? Didn't I make it clear that it's much different being at Kentucky than being at Memphis/UMass/Nova? We have the best resources and tons of NBA players as ambassadors. He should be doing well.

College basketaball was overall a much better product in Cals days at UMass than with Wrights times at Nova.Figure he beat what was/is arguably the best team in college history in our Cats. Cal played everyone while at Umass. Look who he played in '95, to start the season.
Kentucky
Florida
Maryland
Wake Forest
Boston College
GTech
NC State
Southern Cal
Syracuse
Memphis

Played Pitt and UL too that year.

Agree that Wright had some early pre S16 exits (2017, 15, 14, 13, 11, 10, 06). Four of those years Nova was a 1 or a 2 seed.

But, he did have a Final 4 in 2009, an elite 8 in 2006, and a pair of S16s in 08 and 05). Combine those with two national championships in 2016 and 2018 and as a Nova fan I can't complain.

To be fair, he said “us,” not Kentucky. That could be anybody.

ADVERTISEMENT