ADVERTISEMENT

Advice - "Family Friendly" things to do in louisville?

FrankUnderwood

All-American
Gold Member
May 26, 2017
Bluegrass State!
Trying to be more active in the community etc... especially with the kids . I have 3 boys. All under 10

Any suggestions ? Farmers markets ? Events ? Perhaps areas/ parks of louisville
I'm not familiar with. Thought about taking them to Champs. Haven't been there since skating parties in grade school lol, surprised it's still standing (the one on Lagrange Rd )

Make fun of people wearing Cardinal gear. That will always bring a family of UK fans together.

Make fun of people wearing Cardinal gear. That will always bring a family of UK fans together.

True.that's already a daily occurrence. In fact , it's required. Despite my wife being a UL fan (she'll pull for UK tho) it's understood that under no circumstances will the kids be UL fans ;)

You get lots of cutesy house divided gifts at your wedding?

Nah, honestly don't even have 1 "house divided " memorabilia . Like I said, she's not really much into it or sports in general. If anything she prefers to watch NFL football/ Super Bowl .

Plus, house divided gifts are awful so I hope you're not aware of them because of personal experience.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
How about one of the trampoline places like House of Boom? My kids enjoy those places. You could always try the zoo as well. I think all young kids like the zoo. The Kentucky Science Center has lots of hands on stuff for kids to mess with.

A nice park like Broad Run Park off Bardstown Rd going toward Mount Washington is great for kids. They have a big playground with an area for the kids to get wet in their water park. Also some easy waking trails if you want to take in some nature. Those are a few of the things I did with my kids over the summer.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Try out the bridge........it's a fun time to walk over to Hoosierland and get an icecream or something and then bring the kids back to the KY side and let the kids have fun in the water play area.

Waterfront Wednesday is always a good time, kid friendly and free. If the kids aren't interested in the music you can hang in the back and let them run around and play. Can also take them for a walk across the bridge since it's held the same place. It's the last Wednesday of the month April through September.
Waterfront Wednesday

Main Event - Bowling alley, laser tag, sky ropes and arcade all under one roof. They have decent food for that type of joint too.

Parklands - several sites to choose from. Beckley Creek Park section in Middletown is nice with concrete walking/running path, several off road trails, soccer fields, the egg lawn, a water park/playground area, dog park, picnic area, launch area for boats on Floyds Creek, fishing ponds/creek, etc...

Broad Run Park on Bardstown Rd

Renissance in Shelbyville

House of Boom Shelbyville Rd

Kart Country in Sheperdsville

All about Kids and Puzzle fun Dome on Blankenbaker

Bluegrass Go Karts of Blankenbaker

Bernhiem Forest in Sheperdsville

Main Event - Bowling alley, laser tag, sky ropes and arcade all under one roof. They have decent food for that type of joint too.

Parklands - several sites to choose from. Beckley Creek Park section in Middletown is nice with concrete walking/running path, several off road trails, soccer fields, the egg lawn, a water park/playground area, dog park, picnic area, launch area for boats on Floyds Creek, fishing ponds/creek, etc...
Rack :100points:......although mine prefer Malibu Jacks over ME due to go carts. Pretty quick way to part with a hundo irrrergardless.

Parklands is one of the best modern park systems anywhere in the country, period point blank. Something for everyone and it would take you forever to check out every square inch.

there was a couple father/son groups that got the balls jungled by hookers on UL campus. I'm sure that was swell bonding.

One random fun thing we like to do are the Flea Off Markets that they have every month. Usually a bunch of hipster vendors with old or weird stuff. They always have a few good food trucks and some beer for walking around with. The kids get a kick out of all the stuff for sale. Going to the Cherokee Triangle and St. James Court art and crafts fair every spring and fall is fun. The State Fair this week is cool.

For just anytime fun and things that are always open we like the walking bridge, Frazier Museum, Science Center, Joe Ley antiques, Jefferson Memorial Forest, Huber's, etc. Also walking the Highlands, Frankfort Ave., Jeffersonville, and downtown are all fun family things.

Kids will grumble about some of those things up front, but enjoy them when you're actually there.

Malibu Jacks is great for a family with kids. It is packed with arcade games, go karts, putt putt, laser tag. It is very clean. Not the hustle and bustle of Main Event and a little cheaper.

One random fun thing we like to do are the Flea Off Markets that they have every month. Usually a bunch of hipster vendors with old or weird stuff. They always have a few good food trucks and some beer for walking around with. The kids get a kick out of all the stuff for sale. Going to the Cherokee Triangle and St. James Court art and crafts fair every spring and fall is fun. The State Fair this week is cool.

For just anytime fun and things that are always open we like the walking bridge, Frazier Museum, Science Center, Joe Ley antiques, Jefferson Memorial Forest, Huber's, etc. Also walking the Highlands, Frankfort Ave., Jeffersonville, and downtown are all fun family things.

Kids will grumble about some of those things up front, but enjoy them when you're actually there.

What part of highlands and or Frankfort ave do you like strolling ?

There's a ton in Louisville for families...

- Science Center is solid
- Zoo
- The Parklands are simply fantastic. We are ridiculously lucky to have that park system here. If you go on any of the trails, look out for wild life fun.
- Seneca and Cherokee Park
- Big 4 Bridge
- Main Event, HOB, etc.

There's a ton in Louisville for families...

- Science Center is solid
- Zoo
- The Parklands are simply fantastic. We are ridiculously lucky to have that park system here. If you go on any of the trails, look out for wild life fun.
- Seneca and Cherokee Park
- Big 4 Bridge
- Main Event, HOB, etc.

Never been to parklands. Sounds awesome tho, what "is it " exactly? A sprawling park with like a bunch of cool "features " trails , etc ?

Waterfront Wednesday is always a good time, kid friendly and free. If the kids aren't interested in the music you can hang in the back and let them run around and play. Can also take them for a walk across the bridge since it's held the same place. It's the last Wednesday of the month April through September.
Waterfront Wednesday
Unless you go down there and get atacked by a swarm of kids. It's happened multiple time.

House of boom is awesome. Been a few times. Better than Sky zone.

House of Boom is Sky Zone without all those silly safety precautions and staff that actually cares what's going on. I've had to direct staff to clean up blood on two separate occasions. My daughter has hurt herself there multiple times. And I say this with all seriousness - I LOVE THAT PLACE!

ADVERTISEMENT