ADVERTISEMENT

Adou Thiero Comp

rexcat

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 3, 2003
Hoover, AL
I was looking at some video of Thiero, and he reminds me of Derrick Miller who played in the late 80's for the Wildcats. He's very rangy and athletic, and I believe has quite some upside. Pretty excited about the long term potential. Any other comparisons?

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
Physiques are similar …but if my memory serves Miller could shoot …not sure how adept Thiero is at that skill yet

Best thing with Thiero is he had a quick growth spurt recently and was PG. Has tight handles.
Also, apparently a gym rat:
Thiero’s backcourtmate, Sahvir Wheeler, says the 6-foot-5 guard has turned heads with his work ethic. If those gym doors are unlocked — and sometimes even when they’re not — Thiero is getting shots up.

“Super hard worker, in the gym constantly,” Wheeler told KSR on Friday. “I got here a few days late (getting on campus), but everybody else was talking about how he’s always in the gym. There were a couple camps going on, so he couldn’t be in the gym, but he was off to the side goals getting free throws. I was like, ‘Adou, you can’t be in the gym! You’re going to get in trouble!’ He’s like, ‘Nah man, I’ve got to get ready! I’ve got to get ready!’ Definitely a hard worker.”

6be689ed-891b-4b42-aaef-5c86fb5b12a9_text.gif

I was looking at some video of Thiero, and he reminds me of Derrick Miller who played in the late 80's for the Wildcats. He's very rangy and athletic, and I believe has quite some upside. Pretty excited about the long term potential. Any other comparisons?
Derrick Miller was one of the best 3 point shooters to ever play at UK. Miller was just plain skinny, unlike Thiero, plus Thiero is not that type of shooter.

Hope the kid blows up and sticks around. Him having good parents might help him maybe being on the bench some. Guys just seem to get frustrated now days if they don’t play a lot. The old days a lot of guys didn’t even see the floor until they were juniors.

I’ve been thinking Derrick Jasper. Hopefully rich man’s Derrick Jasper.

Derrick Jasper with knees.

Hopefully he sticks around and develops. If I were a coach today I’d make it a point to work at keeping some guys 4 years. To me it’s nowadays as important as recruiting top freshman. The first team that can pull off doing both is going to win a lot of titles.

I can't remember if I wrote this and decided not to post it. Anyway, here goes. Sorry if it's a twice told tale.

I remember looking at Thiero clips on Youtube after he signed, but I watched them again after Dillingham signed. Both players did the same kinds of things, and except for the striking difference in physique there wasn't much to tell them apart. Dillingham has a little shake'n'bake move, but that usually doesn't transfer well from high school to college. I suppose the difference would be in the competition. Thiero's competition in the clips looks like ordinary suburban high school players while Dillingham's competition looks like kids from those mega-recruiting schools. I remember people dismissed Shai Gilgeous-Alexander for similar reasons: he wasn't blazingly fast and his competition was suspect.

So basically I suspect/hope people are selling Thiero short. I'm no scout so that may just mean that my opinion is worth spit, but at the same time I watched SGA's appearance at the Derby Festival and knew he was much better than advertised. People develop at different rates. That makes recruiting a crap shoot. Without going too deep into statistics jargon, the physical differences between players at the +3 standard deviation level (the best player at your high school) and the players at the +4 standard deviation level (very good college players) is very slight. Those differences can be overwhelmed by character, coaching, work, nutrition, luck, and ambition. There are all manner of Sure Things in basketball whose chief achievement was playing at a HS All-Star game.

Derrick Miller was a gunslinger, he was a pete maravich, you don't compare him to 6'6" athletes just because of body type.

Have we finally found a kid who is willing to wait his turn while making six figures in NIL money?

A lot of folks talk about the idea of transfers, but I'm not so sure if that's going to be the case going forward. We have a real economic factor at play now. These kids make more than I do, sitting the bench, and I have multiple degrees and multiple sources of income.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Derrick Jasper with knees.

Hopefully he sticks around and develops. If I were a coach today I’d make it a point to work at keeping some guys 4 years. To me it’s nowadays as important as recruiting top freshman. The first team that can pull off doing both is going to win a lot of titles.
Yes. The Villanova approach. I mean they got Gillespie and their initial plan was to RS him as they've done with 1, sometimes multiple players and he impressed so much he earned minutes. It's a smart way to add depth and make sure you have someone with some experience in program who will be around.

Reactions: Gromcat
Even if he falls somewhere between Hawkins-Liggins (mostly based on defensive potential). I would be thrilled with that off the bench for 4 years

Even if he falls somewhere between Hawkins-Liggins (mostly based on defensive potential). I would be thrilled with that off the bench for 4 years
Exactly. I actually think if he's what is being talked about he'll have a chance to be a starter if he stayed 3/4 yrs at some point. He's taken on the challenge and wants to be a player, not just wear the uniform. The skill in taller frame is a weapon and if he's as impressive defensively as we got in that great recap from HagginHall that gets you in great favor with coaches.

Reactions: YaySports
Have we finally found a kid who is willing to wait his turn while making six figures in NIL money?

A lot of folks talk about the idea of transfers, but I'm not so sure if that's going to be the case going forward. We have a real economic factor at play now. These kids make more than I do, sitting the bench, and I have multiple degrees and multiple sources of income.

It should help a lot in retaining these fringe like players. I think it helps keep guys like Collins & Ware that in the past would have probably left by now. The NIL money was not enough for Hopkins & Allen to stick around obviously, but that may be because the UK staff hinted they were not going to be a good fit long term for the program as far as a lot of playing time...so even money has its limitations when you factor in a player's pride.

That said, if I could make 100,000 a year to sit on UK's bench for 4 years vs. going to somewhere else for 1/3 of that money I would stay at UK.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Best thing with Thiero is he had a quick growth spurt recently and was PG. Has tight handles.
Also, apparently a gym rat:
Thiero’s backcourtmate, Sahvir Wheeler, says the 6-foot-5 guard has turned heads with his work ethic. If those gym doors are unlocked — and sometimes even when they’re not — Thiero is getting shots up.

“Super hard worker, in the gym constantly,” Wheeler told KSR on Friday. “I got here a few days late (getting on campus), but everybody else was talking about how he’s always in the gym. There were a couple camps going on, so he couldn’t be in the gym, but he was off to the side goals getting free throws. I was like, ‘Adou, you can’t be in the gym! You’re going to get in trouble!’ He’s like, ‘Nah man, I’ve got to get ready! I’ve got to get ready!’ Definitely a hard worker.”
This is why I wanted him at IU.

Liggins is who I first thought of but I’ve heard Dalen Terry also.

I believe he’s easily above 6’6 now probably on his way to 6’8. I expect him to be an elite defender who can be a Swiss Army knife player and an additional ball handler. I’m very glad that cal ended up offering him and taking his commitment. Despite his ranking the tape shows this kid can play. He’s skilled, has very good defensive instincts, is no athletic slouch, has great ball handling ability for the size, and decent vision. He also seems to be an adequate shooter. Will probably have normal struggles but think he has the frame to put on muscle. I truly believe he could be a all-sec guy glue guy his jr year. Really like players with his archetype.

Liggins is who I first thought of but I’ve heard Dalen Terry also.

I believe he’s easily above 6’6 now probably on his way to 6’8. I expect him to be an elite defender who can be a Swiss Army knife player and an additional ball handler. I’m very glad that cal ended up offering him and taking his commitment. Despite his ranking the tape shows this kid can play. He’s skilled, has very good defensive instincts, is no athletic slouch, has great ball handling ability for the size, and decent vision. He also seems to be an adequate shooter. Will probably have normal struggles but think he has the frame to put on muscle. I truly believe he could be a all-sec guy glue guy his jr year. Really like players with his archetype.
He did play against good competition in PA. (Won the state title). He blew up quietly because of injury. I’ll be watching him develop.

I'm sticking by Heshimu Evans. I remember evaluating him in the summer of 94 before he decided to go to Manhattan. So after watching film of Thiero I immediately thought of Evans. High energy guy but skinny and could knife through a defense. Of course Evans is a southpaw and that is a difference. It could be that our boy Adou will advance like Heshimu did. Lot of similarity.

With his size and length, if he can defend, pass, not turn the ball over, and make easy buckets, he should be able to plug in at the 1 through 3 positions at times. I don't know if he can be a star, but I think he can definitely be serviceable. I love reading that he's a gym rat.

Reactions: nascarforthedead
ADVERTISEMENT