ADVERTISEMENT

Adnan Syed is being released

A judge on Monday approved a motion by prosecutors to vacate the murder conviction of Adnan Syed, the subject of the first season of the popular "Serial" podcast, who has maintained he is innocent in the 1999 slaying of his ex-girlfriend.
Baltimore prosecutors filed the motion last week asking for a new trial for Syed, who has been serving a life sentence after he was convicted of first-degree murder, robbery, kidnapping and false imprisonment in connection to the killing of Hae Min Lee.
In explaining her decision to vacate, Baltimore City Circuit Judge Melissa Phinn cited material in the state investigation that was not properly turned over to defense attorneys, as well as the existence of two suspects who may have been improperly cleared as part of the investigation.
Judge approves additional DNA testing in the case of Adnan Syed, subject of 'Serial' podcast

Judge approves additional DNA testing in the case of Adnan Syed, subject of 'Serial' podcast

Her ruling was met by cheers and tears in the courtroom. Syed -- who attended the hearing wearing a white button-down shirt, a dark tie and a kufi cap -- was not handcuffed, but his feet were. After the ruling, officials uncuffed his ankles, and soon after, Syed walked out of the courthouse to cheers and applause from supporters. He did not stop to speak to reporters as he got into a vehicle.

Sorry to see him go. RIP. old buddy.

adam-sandler-reveals-what-shooting-billy-madison-in-toronto-looked-like-in-the-90s.png

Reactions: entropy13
Evidently it escaped the attention of some of u that the motion for a new trial was filed by the PROSECUTOR. That is extremely rare, and a clear acknowledgment it is very likely they got the wrong guy and incarcerated the wrong man.

For the post above about his “confession”, u may wanna do some research or listen to the podcast. That “witness” to the confession was a drug dealer and likely the culprit. But, anyhow, don’t let the facts get in the way of a good narrative. Sure hope many of u never get falsely accused of a crime. Sheesh

From what I understand about the case, there is question whether or not he did it. But there isn't clear proof he didn't do it, which is usually the time you see these rare motions.

But hey, at least it got people trending on social media and another episode of a podcast. So all is well

Evidently it escaped the attention of some of u that the motion for a new trial was filed by the PROSECUTOR. That is extremely rare, and a clear acknowledgment it is very likely they got the wrong guy and incarcerated the wrong man.

For the post above about his “confession”, u may wanna do some research or listen to the podcast. That “witness” to the confession was a drug dealer and likely the culprit. But, anyhow, don’t let the facts get in the way of a good narrative. Sure hope many of u never get falsely accused of a crime. Sheesh
Yeah, prosecutors have proven themselves to be anti-criminal lately. Good call.

Again, he will murder again shortly.

Do they have other suspects? Are they even bothering to pursue them?

It's been forever since I listened to serial, I don't even remember any of it. But it's hard to actually learn anything from these things. Like making a murderer...that prosecutor was a pos...but that dude definitely killed that woman

To each their own, but I wonder how anyone can watch/listen to Serial and MAM and come away thinking either of those guys are innocent.

I agree being innocent and not having enough evidence to convict are two separate things. However, in both cases juries of their peers thought there was sufficient evidence. Even taking aside police misconduct, which I do think may have happened in these cases, I just don’t see any evidence that points to them being innocent. If anything, they will have benefited from police missteps to walk away well before they should’ve.

Same goes for the staircase. That guy was guilty as hell. JMHO of course.

Reactions: chroix
To each their own, but I wonder how anyone can watch/listen to Serial and MAM and come away thinking either of those guys are innocent.

I agree being innocent and not having enough evidence to convict are two separate things. However, in both cases juries of their peers thought there was sufficient evidence. Even taking aside police misconduct, which I do think may have happened in these cases, I just don’t see any evidence that points to them being innocent. If anything, they will have benefited from police missteps to walk away well before they should’ve.

I think with Adnan, there was a FAX Cover sheet to the cell phone data that said it was not reliable ... they didn't show that to anybody during the trial, then made up a story based on this data to put him at certain places. Then Jay changed the story multiple times to try to paint the picture the policy wanted. Innocent until proven guilty - he was never really proven guilty fairly IMO.

I think with Adnan, there was a FAX Cover sheet to the cell phone data that said it was not reliable ... they didn't show that to anybody during the trial, then made up a story based on this data to put him at certain places. Then Jay changed the story multiple times to try to paint the picture the policy wanted. Innocent until proven guilty - he was never really proven guilty fairly IMO.
I don’t necessarily disagree.

Setting aside police missteps/prosecutorial misconduct, do you believe he killed her?

I know one thing doesn’t equal the other I’m just genuinely curious your opinion.

I only watched the Netflix doc but that was one crazy ass case. I mean I wanted to believe he was innocent but the way she died still makes no sense if it wasn’t a murder.

I only watched the Netflix doc but that was one crazy ass case. I mean I wanted to believe he was innocent but the way she died still makes no sense if it wasn’t a murder.
Yeah it was nuts. I personally have no doubts he killed her. There was pretty clear prosecutorial misconduct on that one which is why he walked early. The forensics guy was just outright making shit up.

I think what did it for me with the Staircase guy was the bombshell about the European lady being found dead at the bottom of the stairs, as well.

I mean, c’mon! Why even tempt yourself with anything other than a ranch house after that?

This is a case study in social media and today's society. This case is waaaaaaay short of any situation where a prosecutor themselves makes the motion to set aside a conviction and dismiss the case (attaching jeopardy).

I could envision some defense lawyer filing the motion and even getting a hearing. But never the prosecutor themselves. That only happens when it's guaranteed the conviction was wrong, like with some of the old cases before dna. Never a case where there is some very legitimate evidence he is guilty. Yes there is some compelling evidence that he might not be guilty, but that takes us back to the beginning as to why it's so crazy the motions were filed by the prosecutor.

An appeals court reversed the vacated conviction because the family of the murder victim wasn’t given proper notice

Curious if it will even matter because jeopardy potentially attached to the dismissal. Not very familiar with the issue so who knows.

Still crazy to think any prosecutor went this far based solely on the matter of public opinion. Or...maybe not that crazy at all given the times.

ADVERTISEMENT