Adidas versus Nike

etowncatfan

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
We are a Nike school. Do we have any body on our team
that was sponsored or backed by Adidas or some other shoe company?? It
seems like most go to the schools that are sponsoring their AAU team or
they have some connection with. Am I wrong??

Harrison twins were Under Armour, that's all I know.
I don't buy this shoe company joke for recruiting. John Wall went to UK, and now he has a massive Adidas deal. The concept that a shoe company won't offer good players to sign with them because of the college that they go to play for is ignorant. They can't have a shoe deal until they get in the NBA anyway, at which time, all shoe companies will speak with them if they're that appealing.
Just a silly assumption.

Just another in a long line of LilBro Jurich created smokescreen nonsense to explain why Pitino cannot recruit at LilBro. Blame Nike for their being an unattractive destination.

I know that when I decide to play ball for a Nike school, the pro-keds people really cooled on me.

Shoe companies do everything in their power to steer players toward schools that they sponsor. Obviously, sponsoring someone's AAU team gives a company a leg up. Anyone who doesn't think this is a big part of the game is incredibly naive.

Originally posted by Aike:
Shoe companies do everything in their power to steer players toward schools that they sponsor. Obviously, sponsoring someone's AAU team gives a company a leg up. Anyone who doesn't think this is a big part of the game is incredibly naive.
Except John Wall signed with us (Nike) and a contract with Addidas...I would advise against calling people naive...

Originally posted by ManRoar:

Except John Wall signed with us (Nike) and a contract with Addidas...I would advise against calling people naive...
Actually he left rebok for,addidas

Originally posted by W2R:

You're right , I got confused. But still... Point is the same

Except one time it didn't happen that way, so...uhhhh...that prooooooves it. Logic.

Edit:

I realize that sounded like a jerk, but naive is naive.

Shoe companies invest millions in AAU basketball. They also invest millions in college teams.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put 2 and 2 together and realize that these shoe companies want a return on investment.

AAU Player => College Sponsored by same shoe company then hopefully => signs with the company as a Pro.

Does it always work out this way? Of course not. How could it?

But does anyone think shoe companies are spending millions on AAU basketball just in hopes that a few of these players will one day sign with them as pros?

Is anyone naive enough to believe that they don't exert every influence possible to keep these kids in the fold, at one of the colleges sponsored by their company?

This post was edited on 1/5 1:17 AM by Aike

You do realize that Reebok is part of Adidas?

Same company. He didn't leave anyone.

John Wall was a Reebok kid in AAU signed with a Nike college and went back to Reebok/Adidas in the pros. Brandon Knight played for a Reebok team, Twins with Under Armour, I'm sure there were one or two more maybe I just can't think of but predominantly we have Nike kids, but I don't think it has as much to do with them being Nike kids as much as 90% of the best players are on Nike sponsored AAU teams and that's what we are after.

ADVERTISEMENT