ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Schefter/Head Coach Sean McVay's future as Los Angeles Rams coach in limbo

Feb 19, 2003
McVay, as always, is expected to have options: he could draw interest from networks -- as he did last offseason from Amazon -- but many of those jobs already have been filled.

McVay, 36, told reporters Friday that interest from the networks comes in part because he hasn't "run away from the fact that down the line, or whenever that is, that's something I've been interested in."

McVay is under contract to the Rams through the 2026 season, but if he were to step away, the contract would toll and he would remain under contract to Los Angeles, just as Sean Payton remains under contract to the New Orleans Saints.

Through a Rams' spokesman, McVay declined comment to ESPN on his future or his plans for 2023.

Would explain Coen coming back and the other assistants they’ve lost to college jobs

I was surprised he came back this year. He said he was getting married, wanted to start family and didn’t wanna coach that long

He should have left last year……he’ll make a lot more $$$ doing TV than coaching and work a lot less.

McVay, as always, is expected to have options: he could draw interest from networks -- as he did last offseason from Amazon -- but many of those jobs already have been filled.

McVay, 36, told reporters Friday that interest from the networks comes in part because he hasn't "run away from the fact that down the line, or whenever that is, that's something I've been interested in."

McVay is under contract to the Rams through the 2026 season, but if he were to step away, the contract would toll and he would remain under contract to Los Angeles, just as Sean Payton remains under contract to the New Orleans Saints.

Through a Rams' spokesman, McVay declined
comment to ESPN on his future or his plans for 2023.

UK QB coach 😂

Reactions: The-Hack
Reports out west are suggesting McVay will get offered a big contract to coach the Denver Broncos. The Rams gave away their top draft choices in trades for Jalen Ramsey and Matt Stafford, so their chance to improve is limited. The management in Denver is desperate for McVay to save Russell Wilson's career.

If this happens, McVay could ask Coen to go to Denver with him. But the smart move for Coen is to Lexington, where he will have more security and probably make more money too. This is a change of career plans for Coen, but it looks like the best move for his family. Reading between the lines, I think Coen and Stoops already have an agreement. Otherwise, why would Davis and Leary transfer in?

Reactions: westerncat
Reports out west are suggesting McVay will get offered a big contract to coach the Denver Broncos. The Rams gave away their top draft choices in trades for Jalen Ramsey and Matt Stafford, so their chance to improve is limited. The management in Denver is desperate for McVay to save Russell Wilson's career.

If this happens, McVay could ask Coen to go to Denver with him. But the smart move for Coen is to Lexington, where he will have more security and probably make more money too. This is a change of career plans for Coen, but it looks like the best move for his family. Reading between the lines, I think Coen and Stoops already have an agreement. Otherwise, why would Davis and Leary transfer in?
I'd be surprised if Stoops/Coen haven't had a signed agreement in place for several weeks.

Jmo but I think mcvay is done. I thought he was done after the Superbowl win and was surprised he came back. They literally mortgaged everything to make that one run. They all knew it was a rapid downhill turn.

I just think he wants out of coaching at least for a bit.

But what about Harbaugh coming to Denver? :)

ADVERTISEMENT