ADVERTISEMENT

ACC

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
This week, Clemson is the one ranked team in the ACC. Over the first 6 weeks, the voters have tried to get UVA, Wake, and even the Cuse into the rankings. But, just six weeks into the season and the ACC only has one ranked team.

As a comparison, the SEC and B1G have six, the Pac 12 has 4, the Big 12 has 3, the AAC has 2, and the Mountain West and Sunbelt also have 1. ND fills out the 25 as an independent.

Wait, you mean the ACC wont be the best football conference like they always are?
Seriously, when has the ACC ever had more than one good team and 2-3 teams that flirt with a top 25 ranking?

ACC is garbage...was garbage last year as well and Clemson still wrecked ND and Bama. I'm not saying that happens this season (Bama will probably win it all), but just saying Clemson can still do well despite being in a bad conference.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Miami, FSU and VaTech are killing the ACC. Traditionally good schools in football and have been struggling the past few years. The ACC needs these teams to succeed to be a good conference.

Reactions: Tskware and fabcat
Some site I'm banned from (so they think) have a thread about how overrated and awful the SEC is as a conference...lol

They're going on about Georgia's loss...as if Georgia didn't already beat Notre Dame...an opponent they brag on as great because they played them tough for a quarter lol

The SEC East has more top 10 teams than the ACC has ranked total.

This week, Clemson is the one ranked team in the ACC. Over the first 6 weeks, the voters have tried to get UVA, Wake, and even the Cuse into the rankings. But, just six weeks into the season and the ACC only has one ranked team.

As a comparison, the SEC and B1G have six, the Pac 12 has 4, the Big 12 has 3, the AAC has 2, and the Mountain West and Sunbelt also have 1. ND fills out the 25 as an independent.
I watched the UL/Wake game and Wake was no top 25 team. They had a QB that could only execute about 50% of the playbook. Receivers that I don't believe could out run a offensive lineman and were slow on defense. I believe Toledo would have rolled them. I haven't seen the rest of the ACC yet but it might be Clemson and nobody.

The All-Clemson-Conference!
Americas' Cheatingest Conference needs to do a little less basketball cheating ( Louisville, Duke, Syracuse, UNC, NC State, ect...). And a lot more football cheating if they're going to ever be anything more than the 5th best football conference in the country.

ACC is garbage...was garbage last year as well and Clemson still wrecked ND and Bama. I'm not saying that happens this season (Bama will probably win it all), but just saying Clemson can still do well despite being in a bad conference.

I don’t think anyone doubts that Clemson is a top team, but being a top team without having to play other top teams makes the process much easier.

I don’t think anyone doubts that Clemson is a top team, but being a top team without having to play other top teams makes the process much easier.

Very true. Oklahoma is a similar type team...other than Texas they play no one. I'd say Texas A&M is almost comparable to Texas. We won't know until A&M starts playing some weaker SEC opponents as they have lost to Clemson, Alabama and Auburn so far.

Reactions: fabcat
A&M ... lost to Clemson, Alabama and Auburn so far.

And, almost lost to Arky. I don’t know how UK would have faired against UF with Trask at the helm for the whole game, but we saw UK as a missed FG away from a possible victory in that game. UK laid eggs at MSU and SC, but by scratching out a victory against the Razorbacks, it suggested that it is competitive, perhaps like aTm is competitive.

Arky came in with some juice and took the early lead. That game may be a good boost for UK. It’s too bad they get UGA next, rather than another confidence builder.

The UK defense has shown that if the offense can burn some clock and score some points, UK can win in the SEC. I am hopeful that we see the offense take another step forward this week. While there is film on this new look, there is still more than can be added.

And, almost lost to Arky. I don’t know how UK would have faired against UF with Trask at the helm for the whole game, but we saw UK as a missed FG away from a possible victory in that game. UK laid eggs at MSU and SC, but by scratching out a victory against the Razorbacks, it suggested that it is competitive, perhaps like aTm is competitive.

Arky came in with some juice and took the early lead. That game may be a good boost for UK. It’s too bad they get UGA next, rather than another confidence builder.

The UK defense has shown that if the offense can burn some clock and score some points, UK can win in the SEC. I am hopeful that we see the offense take another step forward this week. While there is film on this new look, there is still more than can be added.

Good point. I don't know what to make of A&M honestly. Jimbo hasn't done that well there though...was FSU really that big a dumpster fire? It looks like he was just afraid of Dabo but replacing Dabo with the SEC West was not the smartest choice either IMO.

Yeah, UGA game is just one we hope to get through healthy. We then get Missouri and then a bye before UT. That bye is huge IMO.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
So basically any team not in the SEC isnt worthy of their ranking because they dont play an SEC schedule?

So basically any team not in the SEC isnt worthy of their ranking because they dont play an SEC schedule?
No not at all. Clemson is worth their ranking. Wake Forrest however wasn't. Just go watch them. They were extremely limited. Also their defense was horrible. I don't care what their record was that was not a top 25 team.

The American Athletic Conference is honestly a better conference, top to bottom. If they had the same resources, it wouldn't even be close. With urban centers like Houston, Memphis, Cincy, and South Florida- plus looooowww academic standards- that conference is set up to be competitive.

The ACC has a grand total of 1 team in the AP top 25. The SEC and B10 have 6 apiece in that same top 25. So Clem gets to keep its players rested and healthy for the most all season and only needs to "get up" for 1-2 games a season prior to the playoffs. You compare that to what LSU/Bama/UGA/UF/Aub have to do during the season and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the clemmers have the easiest road to the playoffs in CFB.

Miami, FSU and VaTech are killing the ACC. Traditionally good schools in football and have been struggling the past few years. The ACC needs these teams to succeed to be a good conference.

Miami will never be anything close to what they used to be and VT probably won’t either.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
FSU being terrible is the main reason the ACC is viewed as so down IMO. Miami will be good again in a year or two, the major thing holding them back this year is those freshman on the offensive line and a talented but young QB. I think they lose all their veteran linebackers this year though so who knows.

The ACC has a grand total of 1 team in the AP top 25. The SEC and B10 have 6 apiece in that same top 25. So Clem gets to keep its players rested and healthy for the most all season and only needs to "get up" for 1-2 games a season prior to the playoffs. You compare that to what LSU/Bama/UGA/UF/Aub have to do during the season and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the clemmers have the easiest road to the playoffs in CFB.

44-16 and they still didn't deserve to be there?

FSU being terrible is the main reason the ACC is viewed as so down IMO. Miami will be good again in a year or two, the major thing holding them back this year is those freshman on the offensive line and a talented but young QB. I think they lose all their veteran linebackers this year though so who knows.

Been hearing that Miami is going to be good again real soon for almost 15 years now

The acc could put together an all star roster from every team not Clemson, and still get blown out by Clemson.

It's that bad..

And yes Louisville is better than most thought, as some of us warned. But they're boosted by the egregiously awful conference. They literally play nobody. Even god awful fsu beat them by two scores. Arkansas would probably be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the acc.

It's that bad

It also means Clemson gets to cruise all year saving their bodies and wrinkles for one or two games in the playoffs. That's a huge advantage

UGA should have used more bodies and wrinkles then. They just lost at home to a unranked 2-3 team that couldn't beat a mid tier ACC team.
Lose focus one week and you risk a loss no matter what conference your in.

Miami will never be anything close to what they used to be and VT probably won’t either.
Totally agree. I do think Miami can be a top 25 team year in and year out though. That won't come close to the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, but it would still be a decent team to have in the conference. Similar to an Auburn type program maybe.

Reactions: oddis500
No excuse for Miami and FSU. They have as much talent as any elite team. Not sure what's going on with those programs. Miami should litterly be walking through the coastal division.

As an FSU fan. I am embarrassed how quickly our program has fallen. We are still 2 years away from being competitive in the ACC.

Where is Jarren Williams?

College football talent is getting spread out so much after the first 7 or 8 schools that you don't know who is going to win. There is 5 or 6 really good teams that is going to curb stomp 95% of the rest. Then after that is a bunch of teams with significant flaws at spots that leave them very vulnerable.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
As someone who has spent a lot of time in Miami over the last decade (my son is a recent Miami grad), I can tell you that Miami’s problems are three-fold. First, the last two University Presidents have made a conscious choice to micromanage the athletic department (particularly the football program) after the Shapiro scandal. Second, the U no longer has a football stadium within 30 minutes of campus. Third, the U lacks big donors to invest in training facilities and to pay the salaries required to retain top notch trainers and assistant coaches.

#1 and #3 are sort of the same issue. Former President Shalala got burned trusting her athletic director about the level of access being granted to Nevin Shapiro, and the current President (Julio Frenk) restricts the level of access that big boosters have within the program. As a result, it’s difficult to cultivate the relationships needed to get the donations from the business community to pay for everything a top notch athletic department needs to be successful these days.

I do expect that scandal fatigue will eventually burn itself out, at which point Miami will once again meet its potential as a football power. It will take a change in leadership. And perhaps someone with the vision and financial backing to buy up land and build a football stadium much closer to campus than the Dolphins stadium in Miami Gardens.

Last edited:
Totally agree. I do think Miami can be a top 25 team year in and year out though. That won't come close to the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, but it would still be a decent team to have in the conference. Similar to an Auburn type program maybe.

It doesn't help that Miami is in a #$# hole. Miami Gardens is legitimately a ghetto.

UGA should have used more bodies and wrinkles then. They just lost at home to a unranked 2-3 team that couldn't beat a mid tier ACC team.
Lose focus one week and you risk a loss no matter what conference your in.

Someone is really defensive. I suggest sending a complaint letter to the AP!!

Reactions: BigTyrone
Both of you are right, at least somewhat. The University campus is in the beautiful Miami neighborhood of Coral Gables. The Dolphins’ stadium, where the U plays all of its home games, is in Miami Gardens, more than 30 minutes from campus.

I'm gonna cling to this explanation and save a little bit of dignity lol.

Reactions: PushupMan
Good point. I don't know what to make of A&M honestly. Jimbo hasn't done that well there though...was FSU really that big a dumpster fire? It looks like he was just afraid of Dabo but replacing Dabo with the SEC West was not the smartest choice either IMO.

Yeah, UGA game is just one we hope to get through healthy. We then get Missouri and then a bye before UT. That bye is huge IMO.
I think Jimbo left a dumpster fire at Fla st . One that he created. I think he's one of the most overrated coaches in college football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT