Aaron Judge hits 62nd home run of the season

kybloo92

Junior
Apr 23, 2018

FdJVawmX0AAh_iE

Reactions: J_Dee
Does he deserve MVP?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/judgeaa01.shtml

2022 Judge (so far, before tonight): league-leading 59 HR in 142 games, 631 plate appearances. His .419 OBP and 9.6 WAR lead MLB. He also leads MLB in runs and RBI; SLG, OPS, and OPS+; total bases; and IBB. Leads the AL in BB.

To compare him to 1927 Ruth and 1961 Maris:

* 1927 Ruth: 60 HR in 151 games, 691 plate appearances. .486 OBP, 12.6 WAR. Should've won MVP, but was ineligible due to a stupid technicality.
* 1961 Maris: 61 HR in 161 games, 698 plate appearances. .372 OBP, 6.9 WAR. Barely beat Mantle for MVP.

Ohtani's power hitting (his best tool) was down noticeably compared to 2021, but his pitching is definitely better (even though he led MLB in wild pitches this season):

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/ohtansh01.shtml

600 PA: .268/.358/.536/.894/149 with 34 HR and 89 RBI; 3.5 WAR
148 IP: 2.43 ERA; 1.041 WHIP; 196 Ks, 11.9 SO9; 5.3 WAR

He's within 2022's top forty batters and he's easily in 2022's top five pitchers. When he won MVP in 2021, his WARs were 4.9 and 4.1.

I'd probably pick Ohtani. An elite pitcher who can hit for power is just insane.

Last edited:
Mlb needs to throw out the rood era records or they will never be broken by clean players. If judge hits 62 imo that’s your all time hr leader. Mlb needs to fix its crap because that’s why they are failing. Get rid of those records and put Pete rose in hall of fame.

The most impressive feat is that Judge carried the entire shit offense on his back for July/Aug/Sept with little lineup protection.

He got 17 IBBs and multiple pitch-arounds with a small amount of strikes to hit the second half of the season. Maris was never intentionally walked as he had Mantle batting behind him.

Judge leads every offensive hitting statistic only .001 behind in average.

the first half of the season, it was noted that umpires expanded the strike zone on Judge more than any other player…

This is a season for the ages, where he is an unrestricted free agent. He bet on himself and hit the Powerball.

Last edited:
The most impressive feat is that Judge carried the entire shit offense on his back for July/Aug/Sept with little lineup protection.

He got 17 IBBs and multiple pitch-arounds with a small amount of strikes to hit the second half of the season. Maris was never intentionally walked as he had Mantle batting behind him.

Judge leads every offensive hitting statistic only .001 behind in average.

the first half of the season, it was noted that umpires expanded the strike zone on Judge more than any other player…

This is a season for the ages, where he is an unrestricted free agent. He bet on himself and hit the Powerball.
Fact check: All true.

No way I'm giving that up for a signed bat and ball. I'll take straight cash.

Well, let's see...Ohtani's team is miles from being in the playoffs and Judge's team will be playing postseason ball. Certainly, neither team would be where they are without them but it would make no difference to the Angels while the Yankees would definitely have missed the playoffs.

Is Ohtani baseball's BEST player since he's a two-way player? Probably. Is he the MVP this year? I don't see how you can vote for anyone other than Judge.

Well, let's see...Ohtani's team is miles from being in the playoffs and Judge's team will be playing postseason ball. Certainly, neither team would be where they are without them but it would make no difference to the Angels while the Yankees would definitely have missed the playoffs.

Is Ohtani baseball's BEST player since he's a two-way player? Probably. Is he the MVP this year? I don't see how you can vote for anyone other than Judge.

It's an interesting topic for the NBA, too.. what do we think the MVP is? Is it who the best player is in a given season? Who means more to their team? Who got their team the furthest.

There were some years where other players might have been "most valuable to their team" in the league, or maybe had such a great statistical showing that it pushed them to the top.. but I still think Lebron James was the best player for nearly 10-15 years straight. So when Harden won MVP, and I was happy my guy got it, in the back of my head I thought ".. but Lebron is still the better player".

Reactions: GeraldV

Of it's truly the most valuable, ohtani wins pretty much every year. He is not only great but fills two positions. That's value noone else brings and hasn't in maybe....ever.

Mlb needs to throw out the rood era records or they will never be broken by clean players. If judge hits 62 imo that’s your all time hr leader. Mlb needs to fix its crap because that’s why they are failing. Get rid of those records and put Pete rose in hall of fame.
You shouldn't count anyone over Maris or Ruth unless they do it in the same amount of games.

Also, if you think baseball is clean now... shewboy, that's funny. No sport is clean, I PROMISE you. The science is always ahead of the testing and there is just way too much money out there to make to not go for it.

Why would anyone even think any sport is clean?

I don't want sports to be clean. Short of gene doping, or stuff like bionic arms and legs (or the blades Pistorius wore), I'd love to see what world-class athletes are capable of achieving through optimum pharmacologic means. A 9.0 second 100 m dash? Yes please. 35 foot long jump? Of course. Dead lift 1,500 lbs? Hell yeah.

It's time for the All-Drug Olympics. Admit it, you know it is.

I don't want sports to be clean. Short of gene doping, or stuff like bionic arms and legs (or the blades Pistorius wore), I'd love to see what world-class athletes are capable of achieving through optimum pharmacologic means. A 9.0 second 100 m dash? Yes please. 35 foot long jump? Of course. Dead lift 1,500 lbs? Hell yeah.

I seriously wonder why nobody's ever created a new professional baseball league where all performance-enhancing drugs are legal. It would probably kill MLB.

Don't care if ppl are on roids...roids doesn't make eye hand coordination.

What did bonds get maybe one hitable pitch a game that was a mistake by the pitcher.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I can’t see it being worth that much. It’s not a record. And it’s not his last hr of the season.

Who knows. The collectibles market's gone insane over the past few years. I've seen people pay absolutely ridiculous amounts for things that they shouldn't be paying ridiculous amounts for. XD

Reactions: _Mav_ and Ed323232
Who knows. The collectibles market's gone insane over the past few years. I've seen people pay absolutely ridiculous amounts for things that they shouldn't be paying ridiculous amounts for. XD
Exactly. “Worth” is determined purely and simply by what the market will bear. I’d wager there’s a sufficiently wealthy Yankee fan out there who would pay several thousands to add #60 to their collection, which would be worth far more to me than a signed bat and ball.

They’re already pushing 11-1200 on deads so they’ll get there.

I can’t see it being worth that much. It’s not a record. And it’s not his last hr of the season.
Actually, it is a record (one more than the 59 he hit) which is the most by a RH hitter in AL history. Theoretically, it could be the last one he hits this year.

Reactions: _Mav_ and J_Dee
Matt Jones made a good point about that the other day, why are there different records for different leagues? No one says so and so has the most TDs in the NFC…

Well, that has never happened, so my guess is his knowledge of baseball rivals that of anything else he blabs about.
If only he had a tenth of your confidence he may have made a blog, radio show, tv show, restaurant, OVW, Netflix show, event venue, and I’m sure other various ventures a success. Stick to being a keyboard warrior. The job you were born for.

Actually, it is a record (one more than the 59 he hit) which is the most by a RH hitter in AL history. Theoretically, it could be the last one he hits this year.
Or he could hit several more making this ball not very desirable.

And Ed knows absolutely nothing about collectibles. I thought it was just sports but you continue to show that you’re just not too bright about ANYTHING.

No one wants to give up 61 or 62 so he’s going to be getting a ton of walks
You’re spot on here. He’s even had a few strikeouts on balls that were nowhere close to the strike zone. That kind of surprised me. He seems like a legitimately good man in a time where so many others are total jerks. Regardless of how you feel about the Yankees I’d like to see him break the record. He still has plenty of time.

Reactions: roguemocha
ADVERTISEMENT