ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Hernandez Found Guilty of First Degree Murder

Yes, and now the appeal process for 20 or more years where the lawyers do nothing but charge by the hour to exhaust as much funding as they can, public, and private. He's in jail already and that shouldn't change but oh to be an attorney on this case...

Not sure how many adjectives you can come up with for the word 'stupid' but, dang, this guy (and others like him) take the absolute cake. Grows up hard, in the hood, goes to UF on a football scholarship where he gets into trouble, gets drafted and excels in the NFL. Has a multi-million dollar contract and is All-Pro. So, what does he do? Hangs out with the criminals he grew up with and now will be spending the remainder of his life in prison. Talk about pissing away your future.

The old adage about 'can take the girl out of the trailer park but not the trailer park out of the girl' seems like it's appropriate here with a few word substitutions. You just gotta shake your head at someone who has strived his whole life to leave the garbage bin behind and, once he's free and clear, willingly jumps right back in.

Originally posted by UKFanForever:
I wonder if his tight end skills will carry over to prison life?
I definitely see a position change from Tight End to Wide Receiver in the near future.

Originally posted by gamecockcat:

The old adage about 'can take the girl out of the trailer park but not the trailer park out of the girl' seems like it's appropriate here with a few word substitutions.
I don't follow.

The citizen in me understands with this verdict. The Navy legalman in me is stunned. The state didn't prove SQUAT, even in a circumstantial case like this one. Seeing that it took 7 days to bring in a verdict, there had to have been one or two holdouts that got worn down and finally convinced to agree to 1st degree. The only charge I would have convicted on would have been the ammo charge...because the evidence was there to support that.

Yeah, Hernandez ain't a model citizen. He made PLENTY of bad decisions. But I'm not sending someone to jail for life without parole unless he's guilty beyond. a. reasonable. doubt. Proof? Look at all the guys sent to Death Row that got exonerated after the conviction and multiple years in prison.

Originally posted by BBUK:

Yes, and now the appeal process for 20 or more years where the lawyers do nothing but charge by the hour to exhaust as much funding as they can, public, and private. He's in jail already and that shouldn't change but oh to be an attorney on this case...
I assume you've heard the old adage that it's better to let a thousand guilty men go free than to convict one innocent person. The same premise applies with regard to the appellate process. Sure, there is plenty of litigation that's somewhat frivolous, but it's a small price to pay to protect the rights of those people who actually have legitimate complaints about their convictions.

If you actually think public funding for legal aid is a serious issue, I don't know what to tell you. Defender services have been underfunded for decades, and the problem continues to get worse. The cost is miniscule compared to the vast majority of services provided by the government. Remember that the Bill of Rights specifically requires that defendants be given access to and the assistance of attorneys, so this isn't some kind of ridiculous boondoggle manufactured by politicians trying to line their pockets. Instead, it's an important part of the system we've created to protect the freedoms to which we're all entitled.

The Jurors spoke after the verdict:

"He said he was not involved," Kraft said when questioned by the prosecution, which had said Hernandez was at a bar earlier in that evening, then drove to Boston with two friends, picked up Lloyd and killed him in an industrial park. "That he was innocent and that he hoped that the time of the murder incident came out because he said he was in a club."

That piece of testimony was key, jurors said.

"The one part for me was Aaron's alleged statement that he wished the time that Odin was murdered be made public because he was at a club at that time," one juror said. "To this day, we just went through a three-month trial, this is now a year-and-a-half or two years later, and we still don't know the exact time of Odin's murder, specifically. So I don't know how Aaron would have had that information two years ago. Even today, after medical examiners' review, we still don't have that information."

Also, the defense in the summarization said that Hernandez was at the scene of the crime.

You can take the boy out of the hood but you can't take the hood out of the boy. Was that really so difficult?

I'm not sure why his defense team admitted he was at the scene of the crime but was an innocent non-violent person.

Originally posted by GTownJJB:

Originally posted by BBUK:

I assume you've heard the old adage that it's better to let a thousand guilty men go free than to convict one innocent person. The same premise applies with regard to the appellate process. Sure, there is plenty of litigation that's somewhat frivolous, but it's a small price to pay to protect the rights of those people who actually have legitimate complaints about their convictions.

If you actually think public funding for legal aid is a serious issue, I don't know what to tell you. Defender services have been underfunded for decades, and the problem continues to get worse. The cost is miniscule compared to the vast majority of services provided by the government. Remember that the Bill of Rights specifically requires that defendants be given access to and the assistance of attorneys, so this isn't some kind of ridiculous boondoggle manufactured by politicians trying to line their pockets. Instead, it's an important part of the system we've created to protect the freedoms to which we're all entitled.
In the words of Colonel Potter: "Horse Hockey" There is nothing EVER underfunded when it comes to attorney's. Tort reform FIRST and then punishing crimes to the extent of the law would heal more than half of this country's problems. Paint it however it makes you feel better.

Yep there are those who do time that shouldn't and that are wrongly convicted as there is injustice and wrong in every part of life.

Attorney's have a place but they have taken over to the extent it is detrimental to this country.

Paint it however you want to but litigation in EVERY form is past the point of ridiculous. The sad shame is we vote the scabs in who want it that way.

Supposedly in Massachusetts, if you are involved, you can be considered as guilty as the person who pulled the trigger.

Wow. Anyone who thinks legal aid services are not seriously underfunded is completely full of crap. No other way to say it. To even bring them up with tort reform shows an incredible lack of understsnding of the legal system.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT