ADVERTISEMENT

A Word about this Message Board

MattJonesKSR

Blue Chip Prospect
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2011
Hope this thread finds everyone in a chipper mood. I wanted to take a second and write after my comments today about this Board on my radio show. I have always had a terrific love/hate relationship with this message board forum, going back to when it was originally Kentucky Sports Report before the merger (what year was that?). There is zero doubt that without this board and my "Magloire52" days, I would still be a lawyer and having a miserable time with my existence. The message board communities, especially of the old days, were the centerpiece of my UK Fandom and were the original basis for everything UK sports related on the Internet. Those days, ranging from the big online recruitments (Darius Rice anyone?) to the message board feuds were some of my favorite times in the UK online world and I do miss them...which is probably why I still post here from time to time.

Today I said on the radio a few things that I do believe...some positive and some negative. I said this is undoubtedly the biggest UK message board community on the internet. There was a time when there were many such places but that time has passed and honestly this is the last relevant one that exists. I often say that there are really only three sources of relevant UK information...KSR, Cats Illustrated and Twitter. The mainstream media sources can all be found via Twitter and if you read those three places, you know all there is to know. With that said, I do think message boards such as this on average draw an older crowd. While there are some younger people here, an entire generation has grown up having their UK discussions on Twitter and other social media. Some still find their way here, but most of the posters on here (I bet) are 35-40 and over. There are undoubtedly lurkers of all ages, and those that get news from here, but posting on message boards is what most of us do when we are bored at work (as I am now). This is the largest message board community of UK and its not close. But as those of around in the old days can say, message boards as a whole aren't what they once were in terms of traffic. More options now exist, from blogs to social media, that didn't before. The fact that this place has as many people as it does (when message boards of ALL Schools have seen significant drops) is a testament to its success.

My complaint today about "old idiots" on this message board was aimed at a small, but loud segment of folks here...the ones that bash me every single time my name is mentioned. They of course have a right to their opinion but I am constantly amused by the "I DONT LISTEN TO HIM but he is an idiot, blah, blah blah" threads that follow ever time my Beetlejuice is said in the crowd. It is usually followed by how I am liberal (somewhat true, although less than you think), single (true but happily), gay (not true), arrogant (true of most people who believe anyone would care about their opinion about anything), a jerk (hopefully not true, but I do get riled up from time to time) or a dork (undoubtedly true). Those folks bash me all the time but then get royally offended if I say anything about them, usually becoming quite angry in response. I do think those folks are often (or always) "old idiots" who care less about debating a particular point, rather than blasting me personally. Their act amuses me greatly and I have no problem mocking them in return. I only wish that when, as happened today, they begin their outrage, they would at least quote me correctly and in context.

But the VAST majority of the folks on here seem like good people. I read this site almost every day and pick up something from it every time. People like to accuse me or KSR of "stealing information" but that is honestly silly. We all hear the same information and whether people say it or not, we all have sources even if we don't share them. What I do use this forum for is to get a pulse of the fan base....specifically the hardcore, long-time fans who are engaged significantly in the details of the programs and who lean towards the negative side. I think that is a fair description of most (but not all) of the posters here. I use Twitter for the 20-35 year old fan, Snapchat for the 25 and under, Facebook for the 40 and over, my radio show for the broad fan base, the TV show for the Lexington/Lou fan, etc. I have been a part of doing demographic studies of every form of UK media (it was a big investment a couple years back and the resulting numbers have helped fuel how I approach all of my work) and they follow patterns that are fascinating. Each represents a slice of the overall pie. This board is the best to figure out what the hardcore group intimately engaged in every story is thinking. And I use it as such.

Long story short, this is the best place to find out what a segment of the fan base is thinking. That is crucial for my job...I enjoy reading this site and think the folks that run it (Rowland, TJ, etc) do a really good job. The anger and hatred of a few (along with my schedule) make me post less than I used to, but it is part of my daily preparation routine. The fact that there exists a small group of "old idiots" who believe I am the epitome of all thats wrong with the world amuses me, but won't stop my visits.

Last edited:
Aloha Matt

No problem with me....and I was here before Rivals was here....started along time ago with the AOL board. I don't get to listen to you station due to the time difference...but I do enjoy your post-game report.

As to some on here being idiots....there is no doubt, but I do think, based on the responses / questions that there is a young segment on this board....I mean some don't know that Pat Riley played for UK....I could go on, but you get the picture.

Keep on .... honesty, while hard for some to take because it doesn't fit their thinking, can't be dismissed without true consideration and perspective.

AlohaCat

This is kind of like that time you called Cal the biggest sleazeball is college basketball only to backtrack.

Keep being Matt, Mr. Jones.

I did backtrack...because I was wrong. Everyone says incorrect things...some people recognize them and correct. When I said that about Calipari, I did it with no knowledge and the envy associated with a long time fan who had Billy Gillispie as his coach. But it was stupid...Calipari still kids me about it and I laugh every time. It was a good lesson...one shouldn't talk in absolutes about a person they do not know based on their perception of them from afar...something I used to do a lot more and try not to now. It was a good lesson for me.

Wow! Was there an apology in that court brief? You even made a generalization that most on here lean toward the negative. Still stick with the old idiots comment. I have no beef with you but that was one of the most arrogant, condescending, and self-serving posts I've read on here.

I did backtrack...because I was wrong. Everyone says incorrect things...some people recognize them and correct. When I said that about Calipari, I did it with no knowledge and the envy associated with a long time fan who had Billy Gillispie as his coach. But it was stupid...Calipari still kids me about it and I laugh every time. It was a good lesson...one shouldn't talk in absolutes about a person they do not know based on their perception of them from afar...something I used to do a lot more and try not to now. It was a good lesson for me.
So you lied and assassinated a man's character? How does I was wrong work?

Jimmy Joe over there is a rapist.

*2 years later*

I was wrong, he is not a rapist. Everyone says incorrect things, I recognized it and corrected it so praise me.

I'd leave the message boards alone and get back to radio where you have stooges you can control that don't have principles.

I'm neutral in the whole great Matt Jones debate that seems evergreen here - but that was a pretty even-handed, reasonable post. Still...won't stop the hordes from rushing in to condemn it.....

Wow! Was there an apology in that court brief? You even made a generalization that most on here lean toward the negative. Still stick with the old idiots comment. I have no beef with you but that was one of the most arrogant, condescending, and self-serving posts I've read on here.

These two comments are perfect examples of how people see what they want to see, no matter what you say/write. I do believe this board leans more negative than the fan base as a whole....thats not criticism, but just what I have observed. I also think the people who blast me constantly and say things like "I beat him up and took his lunch money as a kid" (I believe that poster's name was KYFOSSIL) are "old idiots." It is the same folks with the same tired putdowns.

But it isn't everyone on here or even the vast majority....and I shouldn't generalize.

There is a loud obnoxious segment of this board that leans extremely negative. I disagree that it is most. Some of the negative posters only log on when there is negative news and others are so agenda driven that they steer every thread to the negative position. Just look at any thread with Diallo in the title. There is very little difference between any of them because the same posters jump on and post the same nonsense.

And any Matt Jones thread is the same way. Even if he isn't the subject of the thread, if the news comes from him then you get the same agenda driven comments. I used to enjoy jumping in the fray, but now I just tune the negativity out. Following UK is supposed to be fun, so I focus on that.

Last edited:
Hope this thread finds everyone in a chipper mood. I wanted to take a second and write after my comments today about this Board on my radio show. I have always had a terrific love/hate relationship with this message board forum, going back to when it was originally Kentucky Sports Report before the merger (what year was that?). There is zero doubt that without this board and my "Magloire52" days, I would still be a lawyer and having a miserable time with my existence. The message board communities, especially of the old days, were the centerpiece of my UK Fandom and were the original basis for everything UK sports related on the Internet. Those days, ranging from the big online recruitments (Darius Rice anyone?) to the message board feuds were some of my favorite times in the UK online world and I do miss them...which is probably why I still post here from time to time.

Today I said on the radio a few things that I do believe...some positive and some negative. I said this is undoubtedly the biggest UK message board community on the internet. There was a time when there were many such places but that time has passed and honestly this is the last relevant one that exists. I often say that there are really only three sources of relevant UK information...KSR, Cats Illustrated and Twitter. The mainstream media sources can all be found via Twitter and if you read those three places, you know all there is to know. With that said, I do think message boards such as this on average draw an older crowd. While there are some younger people here, an entire generation has grown up having their UK discussions on Twitter and other social media. Some still find their way here, but most of the posters on here (I bet) are 35-40 and over. There are undoubtedly lurkers of all ages, and those that get news from here, but posting on message boards is what most of us do when we are bored at work (as I am now). This is the largest message board community of UK and its not close. But as those of around in the old days can say, message boards as a whole aren't what they once were in terms of traffic. More options now exist, from blogs to social media, that didn't before. The fact that this place has as many people as it does (when message boards of ALL Schools have seen significant drops) is a testament to its success.

My complaint today about "old idiots" on this message board was aimed at a small, but loud segment of folks here...the ones that bash me every single time my name is mentioned. They of course have a right to their opinion but I am constantly amused by the "I DONT LISTEN TO HIM but he is an idiot, blah, blah blah" threads that follow ever time my Beetlejuice is said in the crowd. It is usually followed by how I am liberal (somewhat true, although less than you think), single (true but happily), gay (not true), arrogant (true of most people who believe anyone would care about their opinion about anything), a jerk (hopefully not true, but I do get riled up from time to time) or a dork (undoubtedly true). Those folks bash me all the time but then get royally offended if I say anything about them, usually becoming quite angry in response. I do think those folks are often (or always) "old idiots" who care less about debating a particular point, rather than blasting me personally. Their act amuses me greatly and I have no problem mocking them in return. I only wish that when, as happened today, they begin their outrage, they would at least quote me correctly and in context.

But the VAST majority of the folks on here seem like good people. I read this site almost every day and pick up something from it every time. People like to accuse me or KSR of "stealing information" but that is honestly silly. We all hear the same information and whether people say it or not, we all have sources even if we don't share them. What I do use this forum for is to get a pulse of the fan base....specifically the hardcore, long-time fans who are engaged significantly in the details of the programs and who lean towards the negative side. I think that is a fair description of most (but not all) of the posters here. I use Twitter for the 20-35 year old fan, Snapchat for the 25 and under, Facebook for the 40 and over, my radio show for the broad fan base, the TV show for the Lexington/Lou fan, etc. I have been a part of doing demographic studies of every form of UK media (it was a big investment a couple years back and the resulting numbers have helped fuel how I approach all of my work) and they follow patterns that are fascinating. Each represents a slice of the overall pie. This board is the best to figure out what the hardcore group intimately engaged in every story is thinking. And I use it as such.

Long story short, this is the best place to find out what a segment of the fan base is thinking. That is crucial for my job...I enjoy reading this site and think the folks that run it (Rowland, TJ, etc) do a really good job. The anger and hatred of a few (along with my schedule) make me post less than I used to, but it is part of my daily preparation routine. The fact that there exists a small group of "old idiots" who believe I am the epitome of all thats wrong with the world amuses me, but won't stop my visits.
If it's a small group here why say "most" on the radio?

Reactions: catben
If you think that was bad, you should read what is coming out of D.C.

We aren't famous like Cal but the same applies to each of us,painting us with such a broad brush sometimes gets paint where it doesn't belong.Being Cat fans is one thing most of us have in common,even so we see things differently much of the time.

Reactions: BBUK and catben
I'm not old, but I certainly am an idiot. Your summer movie bracket was awesome until you started picking winners. Really bad taste in movies. Sad!

Reactions: BassCat75
Guy in his 20s checking in here.

The one and only thing I hate about you is that you have the world's worst taste in music (early 90s hip hop) and there are a ton of excellent and huge-selling artists that you trivialize because you only know one of their songs.

Listening to you talk about music outside your incredibly narrow wheelhouse is like listening to a northerner talk about, say, Garth Brooks - They'll ask "what was his one song?" and you know that further conversation is impossible due to a level of ignorance that cannot be overcome.

Seriously. Your taste in music makes Shannon look like a tenured film critic for the NYT.

Other than that, though, you're alright. For a Duke-loving, Cal-hating, bad-hair-having lib'rul pinko of ambiguous sexuality.

edit: Also - you old (relative to me) idiots at KSR did not give the Matrix its due in your movie bracket. It's one of the best and most important action movies of all time and it came across like an afterthought. For shame.

As a public figure, making fun of anyone not in the public eye is probably a poor choice. You are the only one that CAN lose in that. Anonymity protects the masses with nothing to lose. My wife and I catch you every time we can but the political slams and now attacking the elderly are getting a bit much I think. I do appreciate what you do for UK but like most athletes, don't forget who pays the bills.

As a public figure, making fun of anyone not in the public eye is probably a poor choice. You are the only one that CAN lose in that. Anonymity protects the masses with nothing to lose. My wife and I catch you every time we can but the political slams and now attacking the elderly are getting a bit much I think. I do appreciate what you do for UK but like most athletes, don't forget who pays the bills.

Soooooo sensitive. You must be a liberal.

These two comments are perfect examples of how people see what they want to see, no matter what you say/write. I do believe this board leans more negative than the fan base as a whole....thats not criticism, but just what I have observed. I also think the people who blast me constantly and say things like "I beat him up and took his lunch money as a kid" (I believe that poster's name was KYFOSSIL) are "old idiots." It is the same folks with the same tired putdowns.

But it isn't everyone on here or even the vast majority....and I shouldn't generalize.
Yes I

Yes I responded to your on air generalized attack and I did not say beat you and simply said took your lunch money. Way to add violence to meet your agenda. There are many bright members of this forum that also don't appreciate your disdain for this forum while at the same time milking it as an information source for your benefit. Like I said other than a light hearted jab after you took the first shot I've had not real interest or concern with you. But now that you have tried to present your case I begin to grasp the animosity some on here have for you.

ADVERTISEMENT