ADVERTISEMENT

A player or coach you hated at one time but like now

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - never hated him but his UCLA team dominated in 67-69 when we had some really good teams lead by Dan Issel. However KAJ had a long career in the pros. Being the same age I started to pull for him when he hit 40. At the same time I was trying to play company league basketball and he became my inspiration. I kept telling myself - if Jabbar can still play pro ball at my age, then I should be able to still get through a company league game.:grimace: I always enjoy listening to his interviews - he's a really cool dude IMO.

Shaq is a good answer . Thought he was over rated as a pro ( prob wasnt) . I just didnt like the teams he played for .. but seems like a cool dude

Reactions: -Mav-
Early in my Wildcat fan career I hated Bernard King, but once he shucked his UT uni I was free to appreciate his greatness. Dude once scored 50 in back-to-back games with half his fingers taped together cause they were jammed.

There was a 2 year period or so in the 80's where BK was the most unstoppable low post scorer in the NBA , when he was with the Knicks

Reactions: -Mav-
Shaq is definitely cool as hell. Never liked his style of play - aesthetically - but he forced me to respect it and he’s a great analyst/personality.

I hated Marvin Harrison and his boring “lunch pail” act while he was catching TDs from Manning...then I found out he was concurrently running seedy clubs and shooting at people in Philly. So crazy. Love that.

I never cared for Kobe or MJ but at least Kobe is an awesome interview in his post-retirement days. If anything, I dislike Jordan even more after fully digesting all the stories. Dude was, and is, a total POS sociopath. Treating $7/hr employees like dirt makes me hate you.

Robert Kraft. I’ve always hated everyone involved with the Pats dynasty, but you’ve gotta admire this dude’s reckless approach to getting a “massage” in this day and age. And he used a coupon once! Love the thriftiness.

Marcus Mariota. This dude is a bum. Blame whoever, but he had hella promise his rookie year and now he’s completely lost it. Horrible interview too.

Ron Slay. Dude is actually quite cool.

I could do this all day.

Ron Slay. He was Boogie before Boogie.

What was the name of that floppy haired Auburn player who had like 20 years of eligibility?

Tom Brady for sure. I also root against the favorites unless they play for my teams, but when Brady led the Pats back against Atlanta I couldn't sports hate him any longer.
Hey there are still some people riding the Brady Sucks train. I'm like yeah sure he sucks, that opinion is really invalid LOL!

As for me I am.starting to like Brooks Koepka. Thought he was a butt hole at first, but now I think he is intentionally a butt hole which makes it cool to.me for some reason.

Dude...

some say if his knees didn’t fail, he’d be the greatest player.... EVER.

Dude .. IF . and FWIW even IF he had great knee's he wouldnt the greatest ever . I appreciate him helping ny Celtics and he was a rare talent , but lets not smoke what he smokes and get into " GOAT" discussing him . I liked him as a player , as an announcer and current he's just a stoner . He gets paid to be laughed AT , not with .

Dude .. IF . and FWIW even IF he had great knee's he wouldnt the greatest ever . I appreciate him helping ny Celtics and he was a rare talent , but lets not smoke what he smokes and get into " GOAT" discussing him . I liked him as a player , as an announcer and current he's just a stoner . He gets paid to be laughed AT , not with .
By the time he was on the Celtics, he was washed up.

google Portland Trailblazers.

in your first post, you were intimating he had no talent other than being stoned.

Tony Kornheiser stated if he could start an all-time team at the peaks of their careers, his #1 pick would be Walton.

I dont need to google Walton and the Trail Blazers .. I recall my dad talking about Walton performance in the 72 FF .. 33 points and 21 fetches , on 11-13 shooting . Then had 44 only missing 1 shot period the following year . I was 6 that year but recalling my dad talking about how great a performance it was . But he's turned him self into a cartoon character .

This may be an unpopular opinion but I didn't like Cal when he was at UMass or Memphis. I thought he was an arrogant jerk but I am kind of fond of the guy now. :smiley:

I’m the same way and still not a complete fan of him, think some of his schtick is tiresome. He’s far from the evil black hat wearing villain many of the media / opposings tried to make him out to be.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - never hated him but his UCLA team dominated in 67-69 when we had some really good teams lead by Dan Issel. However KAJ had a long career in the pros. Being the same age I started to pull for him when he hit 40. At the same time I was trying to play company league basketball and he became my inspiration. I kept telling myself - if Jabbar can still play pro ball at my age, then I should be able to still get through a company league game.:grimace: I always enjoy listening to his interviews - he's a really cool dude IMO.
AdorableVibrantBluebottle-size_restricted.gif

Didn't care for either Barry Switzer or Jimmy Johnson when they were college coaches but loved it when they went to the nfl and won SB's.

ADVERTISEMENT