ADVERTISEMENT

A New Rap Thread...The Prodigal Ghost has come home

GhostVol

All-SEC
Oct 25, 2007
So my home slice texted me today. "Tee, Organized Noize dropped a couple of weeks ago. Check it". I like this EP, but it stuck to familiar territory for the Dungeon Family. Damned glad to see ON back in the game, tho.

But THIS is what I've been listening to all damn day. Killa Kyleon. "Lorraine Motel". I'm a month late to the party, but I'm glad I'm late rather than miss it totally! N-bombs galore, but the man made it work. The old head in me is digging the old school samples. This is a full break from the weed/rims/drank stuff he put out before...I hope he stays where he is on this one.

So my home slice texted me today. "Tee, Organized Noize dropped a couple of weeks ago. Check it". I like this EP, but it stuck to familiar territory for the Dungeon Family. Damned glad to see ON back in the game, tho.

But THIS is what I've been listening to all damn day. Killa Kyleon. "Lorraine Motel". I'm a month late to the party, but I'm glad I'm late rather than miss it totally! N-bombs galore, but the man made it work. The old head in me is digging the old school samples. This is a full break from the weed/rims/drank stuff he put out before...I hope he stays where he is on this one.

That's dope. Spoken from the soul over soulful beats. I just listened to first 12+minutes...I really like that "they killing over J's" song. Smooth shit. RIP Pimp C. H-Town hold it down.

*beats the hell out of that commercial Kendrick crap, tbmfh.

Didn't really know Kyleon could do that. He was just always a Houston side item. Sounded good on some remixes or something, but he's definitely standing on his own here. Holding it down for the south.

All I've been listening to is straight ignant. I don't really have anything to add.

Reactions: GhostVol
You're right about Kyleon. He slayed me with this one, because I didn't think he could real spit. He can. I do wish Kendrick would stop indulging himself and FOCUS. He's that talented in that I'll listen to what he drops, but sometimes it's work listening. You ain't supposed to work listening to hip hop.

I'd like to see where Sheek's gonna be in 5 years. He's 40 now, but he can still bang.

I was just thinking how The Lox are Diddy's greatest success. I'm a Styles P guy, mostly. I think he eats shits breathes hip hop, and he's been steady throughout the changing rap scene. Jada is the commercial success and understood #1, he doesn't need to rap. Sheek is the boss man. I don't think he's as talented, but he's the glue. Man I love the Lox.

I'm trying hard to stick to the recent stuff. It ain't easy. The verses I liked at 26 don't fit at 56. But flow and beat should stay consistent regardless of verse. It's not.

If this is the rap thread, the Paddock I once cherished is gone. Rapper's Delight and OPP? I mean, I dig NBN, but out of their whole catalog, OPP?

No.

The LOX are Diddy's greatest success? OMFG No.

A black guy saying "N-Bombs galore," and comes with Killer Klingon, and in the same breath, complain about Kendrick? GKMC gives him a pass for at least 3 cuts, as if he needs a pass. And opening the dialog with "my home slice..." You sound like a 15 year old white kid from 1993.

Kool G. Rap? I mean, he has his place, no doubt, but is this the 1991 rap thread, waxing poetic?

Goddamn, step it up.

I swear, if somebody comes out with Onyx or 3rd Bass, ima have to break out baby powder and backhands.

BlackMama, why troll? You're awful. Delete your history and lose this site.

Last edited:
The only record in this thread is the Organized Noize jam, and that's out of bias, strickly for Ray's work on the drum beat, yet they shoutin out Rico's name.., I know Ray likes the underground.I guess the hype man gotta hype.

The LOX are Diddy's greatest success? OMFG No.

Because they bucked diddy and ain't end up dead or in jail. He still gets credit for putting em on.

And I won't address the KGR comment. It's obvious you've been under a rock, and know nothing about the home of hip hop like BBdK.

You offered nothing bc you will get clowned. GKMC huh.

Looks like we need to go back to Rap 101, Class is in session.

There are 2 objectives.

1. Does the message connect with the listener?

OR

2. Does the MC move the crowd?

Back when rap rose out from the underground Objective 1 was considered true rap. Objective 2 became hip hop.

The magic began when a rapper could combine 1 & 2. And that became the time when rap and hip hop were used interchangeably. Can someone dispute this argument?

To address a previous post... I like Kendrick. But right now he's scratching EVERY itch he has, and putting it on wax. (I'm old school)

The N-bomb? It is a matter of perception and usage. I choose not to say it, not even among my friends. That's me setting my personal example. But if my friends say it (and they do), I don't let it ruin my day.

If you use it as a perjorative term, then we have a problem. But KK dropped it literally hundreds of times on "Lorraine "...but not once as a perjorative. Just stating his opinion. I can respect that .

I was introduced to the underground Memphis scene when I was living in the football dorm at WKU in the late 90s and thought it was pretty good, even though some of it sounded like it was recorded in a garage on a Fisher Price tape recorder. Stupid bumpkin from Central Kentucky had no clue there was more rap out there than what was on MTV and BET. Lol.

Reactions: Mashburned
I was introduced to the underground Memphis scene when I was living in the football dorm at WKU in the late 90s and thought it was pretty good, even though some of it sounded like it was recorded in a garage on a Fisher Price tape recorder. Stupid bumpkin from Central Kentucky had no clue there was more rap out there than what was on MTV and BET. Lol.

Playa Fly - Gettin it on is a jam

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaBlue05
Playa Fly is vastly underrated. 'Nobody needs Nobody' is my favorite record of his.

Ghost, you are the last person in this thread that needs to lecture anyone on Hip Hop or Rap. If you dig the stuff you listen to, that's cool, but I feel like you try to come off as "all knowing" because you're black, when really, you probably have one if the worst tastes in Rap in this thread. Just my opinion.

Mashburned is the same way, in that if a rap record hits gold or platinum, he CAN'T like it because it is now gone mainstream.

Some people like the lyrical rap, some like the militant, preachy rap, some people like the smooth flow rap (think BIG), bur I think we can all agree that this mumble rap is all bullshit.

It's funny, people will rag on modern country music for using the same chord progressions in different octaves, while being "pop country" and it's a valid criticism, as most country music after the 90s is terrible, but the same could be said for today's mumble rappers and the back beats they use. And while I dig Future, he's not above this criticism as well.

Damn! is great. Fun songs, serious songs, hard songs, soft songs, smooth songs, great production -- and most importantly, for me ---> it's an actual cohesive and sequenced album, a rarity these days. Solid A from me.

If Kendrick released GKMC TOMORROW, Mashburned would hate it. :100points: People that compare everyone's album from their studio debut classic when , smh -- seems like a miserable way to listen to music. If it's not CLASSIC!!!!, then it's complete garbage? K, Enjoy, I guess.

-Double LOL at Mash always posting/talking about Future these days. Can we dig up the past rap threads? Just countless examples of him playing 'hard' with someone, then years later when he thinks everyone has forgotten...I don't forget.

Dude is what he is, I won't even argue with 'he's wack'. But, he's also awesome, in doses. :sunglasses: Mask Off still isn't getting old, he's at his best with that style. :fire::fire::fire:

lmao.

I won't link the mask off remix with kendrick for obvious reasons, but you can peep that if you're into that sort of stuff.

People that compare everyone's album from their studio debut classic when , smh -- seems like a miserable way to listen to music. If it's not CLASSIC!!!!, then it's complete garbage?

That's a silly and irresponsible statement, and very insulting to kendrick, tbh. If you wanna simply admit he's not the GOAT we can quit this stupid talk. Becuase GOATS are judged album after album, they do make greatness after greatness. I hate rapper kanye to death, and like rapper kendrick a lot more compared to him, but you can't even mention Kendrick in the same breath as Kanye....unless we're just talking about a battle rap. He'd eat em up and shit on him, obviously, but the mfer aint got the catalog of kanye, obviously. So I wont' even entertain anything past kanye, which is not that high of a bar, tbh. Kendrick just doesn't stand up. Sad based on his skill level. He needs better people in his corner, or a better work ethic. Idk. But TDE a joke, that's a fact.

To lower that bar even more, and put this in terms you can understand - He ain't near ya boi Jeezy. Not even close. Hit after hit after hit after hit. That's what the greats do.

You say this over and over and over. GKMC (his first studio album) came out in 2012, why would he have a "catalogue" that compare to rappers 10, 20, 30 years older than him? God u dumb. Get back to me in 20 years and see how he's looked at historically...and I've never said anything like "he's the GOAT". He's just the best person regularly rapping right now, and it's not debatable.

Jeezy, LOL. Another person you hated on in thread after thread...guess you're finally over your Gibbs feelings? Happy to hear it. You're a clown.

He would have surpassed kanye pretty quick if followed GKMC with 2 other albums near that level...which he's absolutely capable of doing, but he just decided for some reason to totally switch up to this weirdo/social activist shit.

Troy Ave was right lmao.

Knew the jeezy one would sting. That's cold hard facts.

You're lying again. You were ALL OVER hating GKMC when it was out & hot (rinse, wash, repeat with you). Now it's cool/classic 5 years later? LOL

Noted, and exactly what I'm taking about w/ him overall. Get back to me in 20 years, and we'll see how Kendrick stacks up...and it will be high -- very high.

Your online character says so many conflicting things, many (most) of which you do not truly believe, that nothing you say can be taken seriously. You need to work on that.

Get back to me in 20 years, and we'll see how Kendrick stacks up...and it will be high -- very high.

*puts in my 2037 calendar* you will regret that one.

lol and I bought that mfer on day 1. Stayed in my deck for like 2 weeks.

You just can't handle the truth about the new Kendrick. I get it. I was disappointed too.

ADVERTISEMENT