ADVERTISEMENT

A Mark of Confidence in O-line Depth!

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
I’ve watched the final drive of the Belk Bowl a number of times. Stenberg was not on the field for the drive!!!!

I hope we can continue the tradition of multiple players capable of playing tackle and guard. It likely has won us many games, late, when exhaustion sets in.

I think it was Matt Stinchcomb, an old O-lineman himself, who pointed out in ‘18 on our late winning drive against Vandy, that 4 non-starters were on O-line.

I’ve watched the final drive of the Belk Bowl a number of times. Stenberg was not on the field for the drive!!!!

I hope we can continue the tradition of multiple players capable of playing tackle and guard. It likely has won us many games, late, when exhaustion sets in.

I think it was Matt Stinchcomb, an old O-lineman himself, who pointed out in ‘18 on our late winning drive against Vandy, that 4 non-starters were on O-line.
I do not believe we will miss a beat once Horsey and the others gel together. Horsey is not the Mammoth grader that Stenberg was. I’m saying that Horsey gives you athleticism that can be used in other ways.

Reactions: vikingfer
Stenberg brought that brute mentality that can be hard to find. Losing him will be mitigated a bit by the fact that all our O linemen seem to have that mentality.

Behind Kentucky Football interview with Pope and Young this week is really a good listen. Gives you insights into how UK is building the Big Blue Wall legacy.

Hopefully we don’t get that drive killing penalty that stenburg brought every game, god bless him

We worried about losing Jon Toth; then losing Bunchy and George AA; we worried when Young went down prior to ‘18; something consistent is happening, here.

We are annually reloading O-lines considered among the best in the nation.
Something consistent ... we worry a lot. :)

I always seem to find myself posting these depth charts of the different units on the team showing the balance in classes, so I may as well add one for the OL unit here. Honestly, this unit may be the worst on the team as far as balance between eligibility classes (i.e. how much they stand to lose each year) b/c 2021 will be a COMPLETE rebuild of the OL after losing 4 of 5 starters. That's not to say the OL in 2021 will be completely green, but just a major loss of experience compared to other units on the team. In contrast, it is likely also the STRONGEST unit on the team in 2020.

Impressive note - EVERY player sans Kinnard has RS'd
Size/weights per roster on ukathletics.com

LT: SR L. Young (6'7 321), JR Watkins (6'5 294)
LG: SR Fortner (6'6 304), JR Dotson (6'6 330)
OC: SR Drake (6'2 310), SO Wilson (6'1 309)
RG: SO Horsey (6'3 292), FR Cox (6'4 306)
RT: JR Kinnard (6'5 347), FR Pope (6'7 297), SO Lewis (6'9 343)

Incoming players
OT: John Young (RT), Deondre Buford (LT), JUCO Jeremy Flax (RT)
OG: Joshua Jones, RJ Adams

A couple of points:
1. OC - Wilson MUST, MUST get some snaps this fall to prepare for 2021. Hopefully the Cats blow out some teams like Florida, TN, UGA so there are many opportunities to do that. :)
2. OG - Can one of these step up to be the mauler Stenberg has been? Dotson (and incoming recruit RJ Adams) have the size, and IIRC, Eli Cox reportedly has the nasty attitude, but who begins to demonstrate the whole package?
3. Future at OT? It will be interesting to who develops at LT vs RT. Flax played only RT in JUCO. It will be interesting who demonstrates the quickness to play LT - Pope has good length at 6'7, Buford seemed to be recruited for LT.
4. OL Coaching - the one constant that should give us fans plenty of confidence all of the above questions should be answered adequately if not above expectations.

I always seem to find myself posting these depth charts of the different units on the team showing the balance in classes, so I may as well add one for the OL unit here. Honestly, this unit may be the worst on the team as far as balance between eligibility classes (i.e. how much they stand to lose each year) b/c 2021 will be a COMPLETE rebuild of the OL after losing 4 of 5 starters. That's not to say the OL in 2021 will be completely green, but just a major loss of experience compared to other units on the team. In contrast, it is likely also the STRONGEST unit on the team in 2020.

Impressive note - EVERY player sans Kinnard has RS'd
Size/weights per roster on ukathletics.com

LT: SR L. Young (6'7 321), JR Watkins (6'5 294)
LG: SR Fortner (6'6 304), JR Dotson (6'6 330)
OC: SR Drake (6'2 310), SO Wilson (6'1 309)
RG: SO Horsey (6'3 292), FR Cox (6'4 306)
RT: JR Kinnard (6'5 347), FR Pope (6'7 297), SO Lewis (6'9 343)

Incoming players
OT: John Young (RT), Deondre Buford (LT), JUCO Jeremy Flax (RT)
OG: Joshua Jones, RJ Adams

A couple of points:
1. OC - Wilson MUST, MUST get some snaps this fall to prepare for 2021. Hopefully the Cats blow out some teams like Florida, TN, UGA so there are many opportunities to do that. :)
2. OG - Can one of these step up to be the mauler Stenberg has been? Dotson (and incoming recruit RJ Adams) have the size, and IIRC, Eli Cox reportedly has the nasty attitude, but who begins to demonstrate the whole package?
3. Future at OT? It will be interesting to who develops at LT vs RT. Flax played only RT in JUCO. It will be interesting who demonstrates the quickness to play LT - Pope has good length at 6'7, Buford seemed to be recruited for LT.
4. OL Coaching - the one constant that should give us fans plenty of confidence all of the above questions should be answered adequately if not above expectations.

Nice post. Regarding point 4, I wonder if Schlarman has any OC or head coach aspirations. Would hate to lose him in the short run, but maybe a head coach for UK down the line with that experience if it goes well.

ADVERTISEMENT