ADVERTISEMENT

A little worried about this team

No worries Jireh. There are reasons to be concerned, without a doubt. I don't see many similarities between this team and the 2012-13 team though. There are some rival fans who have tried to make that idea stick, just for propoganda purposes, but it fails when put up against the facts. I don't think that is your thinking, of course. We lost a bunch of players that year and we did before this season as well. We had a juco that season and we have one this season. There are some similarities for sure.

Tyler Ulis is a huge difference between the teams. Ryan Harrow was one of those guys Cal is referring to when he says, "UK isn't for everyone." He had a meltdown in November and never really recovered.

We didn't have anyone the caliber of Poythress returning. By the way, I don't think we should just say "he is what he is." I mean, sure, that's true, but it's no negative. He's moving forward game by game. Tonight was his best game yet. I think he's still not fully back from the ACL. But he's getting closer.

We lost Noel mid-SEC that year also. People seem to forget that. If Noel had stayed healthy, that team would have been an NCAAT team easily and who knows how they may have finished. Remember, the Knight team lost a bunch of league games but finished strong and went to a Final Four. Losing Noel killed any chance of that since he was clearly the best player on that team.

Other concerns:
Free throw shooting
3pt shooting
Thin front court

I'm not worried about the shooting. I think it will come. All our guys have good form. It's just a matter of time.

The thin front court played pretty well tonight. Labissiere is struggling on defense at times but he scored 16 points and had 7 rebounds tonight and was fairly efficient in doing so. He's getting better defensively each game out. And I don't have the same misgivings about Lee as you. I'm sure that's a personal preference as much as anything. I agree that Lee isn't ever going to be a big time scorer but he can give energy, defense, rebounding, shot blocking, and scoring on easy buckets. He's the guy who is what he is, but I think we know that and it's ok.

I agree with you that there are areas of concern. If this were February or March I'd be very worried. Heck, if this were the end of December, it would worry me. So I hear you. We've got time.

All good points and thanks for the response. I agree - Tyler Ulis alone is a huge difference. Like I said, I feel really good about our guards and I'll feel even better when the shooting comes around.

nrvs.gif

Not only are our guards terrific but we also have pretty good bigs and forwards too. You have to remember that this team is still meshing with one another and imo are doing well so far. Don't be worried yet, wait for January to have worries.

Btw, we beat Boston by 24 last year. 20 this year. You should be very worried, OP.

Only on a UK message board can a team be ranked #1 at 5-0, coming off a 20 pt blowout and have this type of post.

:flush:

Last night was hardly a blow out.....BU was in the game until the last 5 minutes or so..........& this with missing 2 of their better players

This group has a lot or work to do.....especailly at the free throw line & defensively on the 3

Only on a UK message board can a team be ranked #1 at 5-0, coming off a 20 pt blowout and have this type of post.

:flush:
It never ends, they are never happy.

I love it how they start or end a post with "I'm the biggest fan ever and have been for a million years". Good grief.

How can a program that has the following UK has worldwide have so many fans who can not sit back and enjoy their teams success.

Geez.....

I'll admit to frustration last night - especially in the first half. Free throws.....ugh. But those, like the three point shooting, seem to be mostly a mental thing. I'm not really worried yet - as has been mentioned repeatedly, we are 5 games in, and have done the job when it was needed. If we're still doing this come January, then I'll be concerned.

Last night was hardly a blow out.....BU was in the game until the last 5 minutes or so..........& this with missing 2 of their better players

This group has a lot or work to do.....especailly at the free throw line & defensively on the 3

Of course they do. We have 5 new starters, 3 of which are Freshman. We go through this every season with last year being the exception. BU played out of their minds and we still won by 20. We beat NJIT by 30, and NJIT beat BU by 14. Some of you can get off the bridge and just start enjoying the process of watching this team grow. Good grief

They were missing one starter and their sixth man. The starter tore his ACL last spring and won't be back until the end of the season anyway. The sixth man is well the sixth man. In other words with those two guys on BU then UK would have still likely won by double digits against a team that can potentially make the tourney.

Also what team doesn't have a lot of work to do in November?

That frontline your concerned with won us the game last night in case you didn't see it. The guards couldn't throw it in the ocean. Just like all of Cals teams- lot of new pieces every year. Gotta give them time folks. I mean were getting better and winning along the way- why worry??

Of course they do. We have 5 new starters, 3 of which are Freshman. We go through this every season with last year being the exception. BU played out of their minds and we still won by 20. We beat NJIT by 30, and NJIT beat BU by 14. Some of you can get off the bridge and just start enjoying the process of watching this team grow. Good grief

I'm just quoting your reply, Mike-D, but this is for several of you. Why do things have to be taken to such extremes? I mention "concerns" in an attempt to have a rational discussion. Suddenly I'm ready to jump off of a bridge, panicking or out of my mind. Really? Out of my mind because I'm concerned? I state something as a 6 on a scale of 1-10 and some of you have to slide it all the way to10 just so you can justify your shallow and narrow responses. I hope you don't react this way in your real lives.

There are areas of concern, for sure, and to say not is just wearing blue shades. We currently have problems with shooting 3's and free throws as well as not always blocking out for rebounds. However, it is way early in the season and, personally, I'm glad we have things to fix as I sure wouldn't want to be playing our best ball of the year at Thanksgiving time. Cal will work on all areas of concern and this team will improve very much by the time February, March and April get here and we won't even remember the problems we're talking about today. We have a lot of young and inexperienced guys on the team mixed with a few vets and these young guys are very talented, it just takes a little more time to get them all on the same page and being a smooth running machine but I'm confident that Cal is the guy who can get them going and will. Stoops doesn't coach this team, we'll be fine (sorry, had to do it).

I know it's early and I do believe we will get better. But I'm a little concerned. The last time we had a mass exodus was after the 2012 championship and we all know what followed. I'm not saying this team will implode like that one, but I'm not too sold on it either.

The backcourt I feel really good about. Even though they're not hitting a good percentage from deep I think they will. It's our front line that is really concerning. Lee is doing well but I'm just not sure we can be a great team if we are counting on him being a major contributor. Skal has worlds of potential but he's so thin and foul prone. Just not feeling great about him yet. Poythress - yes he's had back to back double doubles. But I think he is what he is. I don't look for him to make any kind of major strides this season.

If we're hitting 3's then I believe we can beat anyone. If we're cold against a decent team or if someone in our front court gets in foul trouble, we may be in trouble.

By the way, I'm not a troll. I'm a huge UK fan and have been for over 40 years. Just my honest observations.

An awlful lot of BUT in that post. Like, I know Marcus is good BUT, I know Skal has a world of potential and Cal is the best at reaching that potential the fastest BUT, I know we arent hitting tons of 3s BUT I think we will.

Do you get my point? Just remember that ee are 5 games into the season. Thats it!! Do you remember how the Wall team started? Remember how bad everyone bashed Teague in 2012? What about 2011 and 2014? It takes time bro BUT we have a very good team and we will be clicking come March. I honestly believe that. I said this before the year and I still stand by it.....I believe this team is better equipped to win a 6 game tournament than last years team was. I just think this team is built for a tournament run. It will take time but by the time March rolls around, Skal, Murray, Ulis, and Poy will be in a class by themselves.

People keep saying.....Alex is who he is and dont expect anything else. Thats a bunch of BS. The kid is coming off a MAJOR injury and it will take time to get back everything.

So........RELAX!!!! It's all good!

I agree there are some concerns but we've also won every game by double digits.

And looking around I haven't seen a team yet that I'm certain is better than us right now.

I'm not worried. The talent and coaching is there and UK teams have always normally run into a mid major scare in the past. Last year UK struggled with Buffalo and Columbia but won decisively each time.

ADVERTISEMENT