ADVERTISEMENT

A little tidbit on Doug Shows

• Thread starter anon_ce2llurbpkli4
  • Start date
Regardless, that does not consider the quality of the opponent, or where the games are played.

thsrtjhjtsj.jpg

I've watched Shows officiate many different games. There are always bad calls from him in pretty much every game. I don't know if he hates UK or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if that is the case. Having said that, one thing I've noticed about him is that he struggles more in intense atmospheres and in games where the pace is fast. I think he has some kind of issue that interferes with his ability to make the proper call, but instead of asking for help from the other 2 guys, he just confidently makes a call. He often sees things that are not there or just misses things that are obvious. This is not a one-time event. We obviously see his calls against UK more than any other games he officiates, but if someone put together a video compilation of his bad calls, I think you'd have a better case for incompetence than bias.

Having said all of this, in this particular case the action wasn't moving too fast and the call was blatantly bad. I've watched it at regular speed to see if something could have been interpreted as a foul on Wallace, but there is nothing. And in slow motion, it's even more clear. I'm wondering if he zoned out (maybe he has some kind of Attention Deficit issue where he gets distracted and looks away) and then just invented something. When he makes the call, he's always theatrical and confident about it, though. He loves making the charge call and gets to pump his fist and dramatically point in the other direction.

The most infuriating part of this particular call is that it took points off the board. And then he compounded it on the other end by making another questionable call (not as bad as the one on Wallace). It ended up being a 5pt swing and it would have given UK control of the game at that point. Instead of an 11pt lead, it was a 6pt lead after that sequence.

This bad call is bothering me more than most. It didn't cost UK the game and it happened in the first half but here I am two days later in a three page thread discussing it. Like a lot of people on here, its one of the worst calls I can ever remember. My question is what are the repercussions for him if there are any. Do they keep him away from UK games for a while? My opinion is he either dislikes UK, Calipari, or probably some combination of both. It was so bad, there has to be more than just a screw up. I think Shows does know what he is doing or he would not be a highly thought of Ref (Final Fours, big games etc.). This makes that bad of call even more perplexing. So if I was his boss and I cared about the performance of my Ref's, I would have real concerns here.

I can remember a few years ago, Shows worked the UK fantasy camp or something like that in the summer. The next season, he was not as bad ( before that, most of the time his 50-50 calls would go against UK). He has since returned to his normal self and now is apparently worse.

Maybe he will not do another UK game the rest of the SEC regular season and I get my answer. But if I was betting, he will be right there in Knoxville ( like he usually is ) a week from Saturday calling the UT game.

Reactions: Girthang
My High School basketball coach was Joe Dan Gold. He was from Benton, Ky and played college basketball for Mississippi State from 1960-63. His teammate was Bobby Shows (Doug Show’s father). Coach Gold passed away a few years ago and I have remained friends with his widow.

She told me once that Bobby Shows HATED Kentucky with a passion and that hate has been passed down to his son Doug. I find that to be true based upon his horrendous officiating against Kentucky over the years.I mean, we all look up to our fathers and have the same likes and dislikes they have. It’s human nature.

14-F82226-FD98-4027-B8-B7-D56685-A316-BB.jpg
I refereed with Shows in his early days in the Peachbelt Conference division 2. He carried his shoes in a Arkansas Razorback bag and openly discussed his hatred for Kentucky. He should NEVER be allowed to officiate Kentucky, or his dad's school Miss St. There is zero accountability with the SEC officiating

UKs win percentage with Shows…. Under 60%

I don't like the guy because I think he loves attention but including Tuesday nights game we are 93-38 in games he officiates for a 70.9 winning percentage. Way better than Roger Ayers (13-12, 52%) and John Higgins (4-5, 44%)

My High School basketball coach was Joe Dan Gold. He was from Benton, Ky and played college basketball for Mississippi State from 1960-63. His teammate was Bobby Shows (Doug Show’s father). Coach Gold passed away a few years ago and I have remained friends with his widow.

She told me once that Bobby Shows HATED Kentucky with a passion and that hate has been passed down to his son Doug. I find that to be true based upon his horrendous officiating against Kentucky over the years.I mean, we all look up to our fathers and have the same likes and dislikes they have. It’s human nature.

Joe Dan Gold was my Superintendent growing up in school.

I don't like the guy because I think he loves attention but including Tuesday nights game we are 93-38 in games he officiates for a 70.9 winning percentage. Way better than Roger Ayers (13-12, 52%) and John Higgins (4-5, 44%)
i need to edit... I did math in my head and was wrong...
edit: I changed it

Reactions: BillyJoeCat-fan
i need to edit... I did math in my head and was wrong...
edit: I changed it

No problem. It's way too often someone posts something that is inaccurate and then others who read it will swear that's the way it is. I will say I didn't see where someone else posted the actual number when I replied or I wouldn't have. Don't think I was trying to pile on or brow-beat you. 100% not my intent

No problem. It's way too often someone posts something that is inaccurate and then others who read it will swear that's the way it is. I will say I didn't see where someone else posted the actual number when I replied or I wouldn't have. Don't think I was trying to pile on or brow-beat you. 100% not my intent
no problem, it was my mistake...I'm glad someone(s) found it.

• Haha
Reactions: BillyJoeCat-fan
i should have dug my heels in, and found a way to justify it... or changed subject to deflect. Isn't that the HOB way? ;)

True it definitely is, although you made another mistake I must call out..........we aren't on HOB, we're on RR - a mistake you and I both
made !! 🤣🤣🤣

There is just no way the call against Wallace was only a "bad call". With a lot of calls, even when clearly the wrong call, there is something to explain why it happened. In this case Wallace was the shooter and he clearly didn't charge since he got held by the jersey, then hit...both from behind. Wallace wasn't holding the defender off with an arm and he didn't go over him to get the rebound. The whistle blew 2 seconds after Wallace got the rebound and he wasn't trying to get around the defender, so that take hooking with an arm out of the equation. There was just no way to miss that call in that way.

You have to wonder how much the Shows act will continue. It is very obvious that he has an ax to grind especially in UK games.
That call against Wallace is a case in point.

I've watched Shows officiate many different games. There are always bad calls from him in pretty much every game. I don't know if he hates UK or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if that is the case. Having said that, one thing I've noticed about him is that he struggles more in intense atmospheres and in games where the pace is fast. I think he has some kind of issue that interferes with his ability to make the proper call, but instead of asking for help from the other 2 guys, he just confidently makes a call. He often sees things that are not there or just misses things that are obvious. This is not a one-time event. We obviously see his calls against UK more than any other games he officiates, but if someone put together a video compilation of his bad calls, I think you'd have a better case for incompetence than bias.

Having said all of this, in this particular case the action wasn't moving too fast and the call was blatantly bad. I've watched it at regular speed to see if something could have been interpreted as a foul on Wallace, but there is nothing. And in slow motion, it's even more clear. I'm wondering if he zoned out (maybe he has some kind of Attention Deficit issue where he gets distracted and looks away) and then just invented something. When he makes the call, he's always theatrical and confident about it, though. He loves making the charge call and gets to pump his fist and dramatically point in the other direction.

The most infuriating part of this particular call is that it took points off the board. And then he compounded it on the other end by making another questionable call (not as bad as the one on Wallace). It ended up being a 5pt swing and it would have given UK control of the game at that point. Instead of an 11pt lead, it was a 6pt lead after that sequence.
He’s definitely incompetent, like most of them. If a ref is good people never even know their names outside the ones who always get final fours, Playoffs, ect.

I used to see Bill Gold and his wife Sheila at the SEC tournaments, he worked with and is friends with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law they are big UK supporters. Marshall Co has turned out several SEC players most of them migrating to Vanderbilt, glad you posted this great post.

Bottom line, fans of a program should not know nor care about who is reffing their team's game. The fact that we know these guys' names and have freaking memes about them is a bad reflection on NCAA officiating.

The next time he does one of our games at Rupp fans need to hold a sign up like they do for Oscar but have it say Shows blatant horrible cheating calls and count them like Os rebounds..

Except have the count on one side, "Shows' Show" on the other. Only show it when he's not looking

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
ADVERTISEMENT