ADVERTISEMENT

A Classic

This dunk usually reappears on here once or twice a year but I always click on it. It just never gets old.

Yeah, I was re-watching it (for the millionth time), and I still think he appears to be climbing invisible stairs. Truly, an amazing dunk.

I also really dig the wide shot of BBN losing its collective mind in Rupp right after the play.

Yeah, I was re-watching it (for the millionth time), and I still think he appears to be climbing invisible stairs. Truly, an amazing dunk.

I also really dig the wide shot of BBN losing its collective mind in Rupp right after the play.

it's great dunk. His usage of his leg is perfect with the contact with the player, so he literally climb for the dunk.

Best posterizing in a long time.

Reactions: skycorbuk
That should have posted on the thread comparing the athletic ability of today's players versus the old school players.
Yes and no. Minniefield could jump, but never did anything close to that at any other time. And honestly, watching old game films, he seems like a solid but not spectacular athlete by today's standards, though in his defense, pretty much everyone from that era looks slow with the ball, in large part because of how palming was enforced.

That dunk was kind of a fluke play. The defender got his arm under Minniefield's leg at just the right time, and propelled him up a few extra inches, or at least held Minniefield up an extra split second at the very peak of his jump so that it made it seem like he was levitating. Tom Chambers has a really famous one where the same thing happened.

And Jerami Grant had something similar a few years ago

Wish Minniefield had jumped that high in the last minute of the UL game in 83. But yeah, that one dunk will probably always be the most memorable in UK history.

I have been fortunate to see many games. An annual event my wife and I shared was going to Louisville to see UK vs Notre Dame at the Neutral (LOL) Freedom Hall. I think it was 1979 and UK had a freshman named Dwight Anderson. Digger Phelps had about his best team ever at least talent wise. Sorry for the length. Notre dame had run out to a lead and took that into the locker-room at half-time. Second half setting right under UK's goal. As I watched my VCR the next day of the game Al McGuire said a star is born. We rallied and Anderson lead the way. Orlando Woolridge a 6'9" forward tried to block an Anderson dunk that set the "Blur" and the crowd on fire. Anderson rose up an over Woolridge and dunked it up to his armpits! Incredible dunk witch made me almost catapult an understanding woman from her front row seat to almost on the floor. N.D. was favored but that play will live with me for ever. Haven't seen it since 1979.

I have been fortunate to see many games. An annual event my wife and I shared was going to Louisville to see UK vs Notre Dame at the Neutral (LOL) Freedom Hall. I think it was 1979 and UK had a freshman named Dwight Anderson. Digger Phelps had about his best team ever at least talent wise. Sorry for the length. Notre dame had run out to a lead and took that into the locker-room at half-time. Second half setting right under UK's goal. As I watched my VCR the next day of the game Al McGuire said a star is born. We rallied and Anderson lead the way. Orlando Woolridge a 6'9" forward tried to block an Anderson dunk that set the "Blur" and the crowd on fire. Anderson rose up an over Woolridge and dunked it up to his armpits! Incredible dunk witch made me almost catapult an understanding woman from her front row seat to almost on the floor. N.D. was favored but that play will live with me for ever. Haven't seen it since 1979.
Was there also, a great game!

Yes Jim it was an awesome game! One of my favorites. Anderson was a freshman guard listed at 6'4" probably 6'2" tall. Only played 2 years at UK then transferred west to USC.
I grew up In Jeffersontown and made most of the Freedom Hall games. I think the UNC game where Jimmy Dan Conner went off was my favorite. But this one ranks right near the top.

Reactions: railroadkat_1

I was at that game and the play was fantastic,We could not believe what we had just watched.Then to hear Al say A STAR IS BORN.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT