ADVERTISEMENT

A broad range of what constitutes a “fan.”

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
Went to a bud’s house to watch the Mizzou game. The same bud who I have generally gone with one road game a year.

We usually d/n do bowl games together, but he takes his family of four and usually has high dollar seats for the bowl games.

I’d say he and his family have attended more than half of UK’s home games the last 10 years.

So during the game I mention that Coach Schlarman did not make the trip, and no one in the family has ever heard the name, or that he’s been battling cancer for two years.

When I left, one said, “that fellow who is sick not making the game sounds pretty important . . . maybe why that’s why the team looked so down.”

I said, “ yep.”

There are many different levels of fanship.

Yeah, Ive got a buddy whos got season tickets and will text me during road games wondering whats going on. "Oh we went shopping, or went out to eat or went to go do blah blah."

I understand things come up and people generally dont get as into the team as those of us who post on here do, but who the hell buys season tickets and then doesnt even watch half the games. And Im not talking about some spoiled rich blue hair. Regular blue collar like me. I just dont get it.

Seriously, though, how many hundreds of press reports, pregame story lines, post-game gifts of the “game ball,” to CJS, etc., have these folks missed?

So in my explaination, I give essentially Coach Schlarman’s complete bio . . . playing days in the 90’s, . . . GA days under Mumme/Morris, etc.

Then I remember this same bud at South Carolina asked in 2015, after the Ware 2 point fumble return, if it counted 6 points?!?!

He has a dozen pieces of pro-football memorabilia in his office, and some U.K. . . . and did not know the return of a fumbled two point attempt counted only two points.

But he never played FB, either.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDHoss and CGblue
Yeah, Ive got a buddy whos got season tickets and will text me during road games wondering whats going on. "Oh we went shopping, or went out to eat or went to go do blah blah."

I understand things come up and people generally dont get as into the team as those of us who post on here do, but who the hell buys season tickets and then doesnt even watch half the games. And Im not talking about some spoiled rich blue hair. Regular blue collar like me. I just dont get it.

Just part of life I guess. I have kept up with every single practice report since I became a member on this site, recruiting, I mean lived and breathed UK football. Missed like 2 home games in 7 years due to work or major family holiday. And probably missed around 15 home games in the past 13 years. I will always love UK football since I was born and put it before a lot of things that could’ve been called “more important.” Lost women over UK games, made people mad for going to the game instead of what they wanted to do, but getting older I realize putting UK football first caused me a lot of problems and some anger too just because I’m a full blown diehard, crazy SOB. Sometimes family just comes first mainly, the ones who aggravate me are the ones who show up to the game and just don’t care.

I am a fairly avid fan I guess, season tic holder who attends nearly every home game, one road game and the bowl game. What I have observed is the people at the stadium aren't nearly into recruiting like most on here and esp on hob! Also, those most on here generally speaking seldom if ever attend games in person
I think if someone lives within reasonable driving distance and there aren't financial constraints and they don't attend the games then they aren't much of a fan or maybe I should say they aren't a supporter of the UK Wildcats! Don't care how much they know about recruiting
To each their own though, if you want to stay on here all day then watch the game on your big screen then have at it but I love going to the games myself, even in times like we are seeing now with only 12k fans there and no tailgating. I am thankful to be one of those 12k, exciting to be planning on the trip to Lex Sat to see the Cats try to pull off the huge upset of the dogs!. .
Edit to include another thing, there seems to be a much more negative slant on the program on here than what I see at the stadium, much more!

Last edited:
Reactions: fabcat and The-Hack
Went to a bud’s house to watch the Mizzou game. The same bud who I have generally gone with one road game a year.

We usually d/n do bowl games together, but he takes his family of four and usually has high dollar seats for the bowl games.

I’d say he and his family have attended more than half of UK’s home games the last 10 years.

So during the game I mention that Coach Schlarman did not make the trip, and no one in the family has ever heard the name, or that he’s been battling cancer for two years.

When I left, one said, “that fellow who is sick not making the game sounds pretty important . . . maybe why that’s why the team looked so down.”

I said, “ yep.”

Yep. We are on this message board talking daily about UK Sports. I have a lot of friends and family that are Huge fans, but don’t do any message boards or twitter ect:. They watch every game and wear Kentucky Gear.

They don’t get wrapped up in what play is called and that they could do it a lot better ect:. Doesn’t make them any less of a fan. Hell, it probably makes them enjoy it more. They’re not arguing with people 7 days a week about coaching decisions.

I'm one of the old blue hair guys, your talking about, who has great tickets. Sometimes if were playing a cup cake, I give my seats to someone who cannot afford tickets, and would love to watch the Cats. I see nothing wrong with this, and I just watch the game on TV with my family and friends. Everyone can't afford the cost of tickets, but that doesn't stop them from loving the CATS. I know a lot of people in the town where I grew up cannot afford the tickets, but love to attend a game. I see nothing wrong with giving my 3 tickets to someone who is not as lucky as me, but love the CATS, just as much as I do. I grew up just like them, but just happened to get lucky in life.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I'm one of the old blue hair guys, your talking about, who has great tickets. Sometimes if were playing a cup cake, I give my seats to someone who cannot afford tickets, and would love to watch the Cats. I see nothing wrong with this, and I just watch the game on TV with my family and friends. Everyone can't afford the cost of tickets, but that doesn't stop them from loving the CATS. I know a lot of people in the town where I grew up cannot afford the tickets, but love to attend a game. I see nothing wrong with giving my 3 tickets to someone who is not as lucky as me, but love the CATS, just as much as I do. I grew up just like them, but just happened to get lucky in life.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
nothing wrong indeed, actually commendable of you. I know some esp BB season tic holders who won't give their tics away b/c they don't want people "pestering " them.

Reactions: The-Hack

I said, “ yep.”

I was born a Kentucky fan. It's a lifetime appointment. Blue in the veins. My love for UK sports will never waver. Hence, I'm also a UK grad--imagine that! All of that we can deem as being within the realm of strategic thinking--"big picture," and never-ending.

As a person who enjoys his freedoms to the utmost, I can, with impunity, tactically support the Cats and feel good always about my support, though sometimes that "support" means leaving a game slightly early or turning the channel a bit early. Thinking tactically means boiling it down to separate games or events. I know we have some people (fans I would gladly label as "superfans") who come to literally every live game UK plays. Their live support is admirable and appreciated. But, tactically speaking, I don't always exhibit superfan qualities, but that shouldn't put me in some kind of undesirable fan category.

I watched volleyball last night on the SEC Network (SECN), for example, but turned it off when UK was down one set and losing 8-2 in the second set. As opposed to being disappointed, I declared them to be having an "off night" and changed the channel. I was pleasantly stunned when I saw later--purposely checking their score on the SECN ticker--that they had won the match 3-1! It didn't make me less of a fan when I chose to count them out prematurely against the #9 Missouri Tigers. I just didn't want to see them lose. Thankfully, they didn't, and must be pretty darn good. What a great comeback! Good for the team and Coach Skinner--he's building a rock-solid winning program that is tremendously fun to watch. Next time, maybe I will.

So, yes, there are many different levels of good "fanship."

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Amen. Growing up my father who loved UK sports as much as breathing couldn’t afford tickets to UK games. We did go the am open practice in Louisville the day before the Notre Dame game with the 78 Championship team. It was free, so my father, uncle, and his sons went. Will never forget it. It’s something that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

What you’re doing for friends and family is wonderful. You never have to apologize for giving your tickets to fans that can’t afford to buy them.

Here is the only situation that really drives me crazy. As an example, I live in the Baltimore area, but am not a Ravens fan. I’ve found out that running errands during a Ravens game is the perfect time. If I stop at the grocery store or hardware store, I’ll see people all decked out in Ravens gear during the game. That one always makes me shake my head.

I've got the tattoo in my avatar on my chest. Never been to a UK football game, only 1 basketball game, and didn't attend UK but I guarantee that my fanhood is as deep as anyone's.

Reactions: The-Hack
Here is the only situation that really drives me crazy. As an example, I live in the Baltimore area, but am not a Ravens fan. I’ve found out that running errands during a Ravens game is the perfect time. If I stop at the grocery store or hardware store, I’ll see people all decked out in Ravens gear during the game. That one always makes me shake my head.
My wife and kids wear UK gear all the time but aren't really fans. My son is a football fan but doesn't really watch basketball at all.

Yeah some folks have kids and those activities, and then a lot of folks I assume post on here because they dont live in Lex and this is an easy way to keep track.

My wife and kids wear UK gear all the time but aren't really fans. My son is a football fan but doesn't really watch basketball at all.
I think that’s great. For some reason, the ones that are out while the game is on Sunday decked out from head to toe gear are the ones I think of

Yeah some folks have kids and those activities, and then a lot of folks I assume post on here because they dont live in Lex and this is an easy way to keep track.
BEFORE the kid, I was close to being a crazed Commonwealth Stadium face painter.

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: CB3UK

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
I became a UK fan in 1966 at 15 pulling for the Runts as a Senior in high school my Football Coach who played at UK Ron Cain was hired by John Ray took an assistant job got me a Manager’s scholarship
I lasted 2 weeks Harry Lancaster took me to see Adolph he put me on Freshman team although I was horrible
I was the Manager on the Varsity for 3 years working for Bill Keightley I did the laundry and
Drove Rupp everywhere I learned things no one
Should hear
Mr Keightley was best man at my wedding I have UK season football and basketball tickets over 40 years
I am a UK Fellow large $$$ donation to basketball program Life Member of Alumni Association K Man make all bowl games all SEC Tournament games have 2 Championship Rings
One from Tubby and 2012 from Cal I guess I’m a Fan:rolleyes:

Odd that some found offense in the subject. I’m not saying I’m necessarily a better fan, or that there is a litmus test.

But it is striking the degrees of fanaticism . . . and I might be the crazy one. Haven’t done a tattoo, yet, but if I ever do, it’ll be Blue.

Odd that some found offense in the subject. I’m not saying I’m necessarily a better fan, or that there is a litmus test.

But it is striking the degrees of fanaticism . . . and I might be the crazy one. Haven’t done a tattoo, yet, but if I ever do, it’ll be Blue.
No tattoos for this old boy

I became a UK fan in 1966 at 15 pulling for the Runts as a Senior in high school my Football Coach who played at UK Ron Cain was hired by John Ray took an assistant job got me a Manager’s scholarship
I lasted 2 weeks Harry Lancaster took me to see Adolph he put me on Freshman team although I was horrible
I was the Manager on the Varsity for 3 years working for Bill Keightley I did the laundry and
Should hear
Mr Keightley was best man at my wedding I have UK season football and basketball tickets over 40 years
I am a UK Fellow large $$$ donation to basketball program Life Member of Alumni Association K Man make all bowl games all SEC Tournament games have 2 Championship Rings

I became a craze fan the same year. Love BB for many years, but with Cal I had enough three years ago and haven't watched a single game since. Never thought that could or would ever happen.

Should hear

Congratulations, My wife and I are UK Fellows and Life Members of Alumni Association. I started going to the games with my Grandpa around 50 or 51, I think. It's been a while ago. We were at the Georgia game today, and when the sun went down on our side, it was cold. I don't attend many basketball games anymore. I'm usually in Florida, but try and make the Bowl games.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

ADVERTISEMENT