ADVERTISEMENT

$9million per year. 🤢

Nate Oats, Scott Drew, Bruce Pearl, Eric Musselman, Chris Holtmann...
Let’s see. Oats didn’t win tourney championship. Drew didn’t win championship. Pearl didn’t win championship. Mussel man didn’t win championship. Hotlzmann didn’t win championship. Who else you got?

Reactions: bluefaithful
I'd keep Cal (for now), but he's not indispensable like we might have thought he was back in 2012.

If he left, Nick Nurse or Frank Vogel would be my first call.
The only realistic hire we could get right now to successfully replace Cal is Pearl. And he has had issues cheating at his last 2 stops.

Nurse and Vogel aren't leaving the NBA to come to the collegiate level. Not to mention, Vogel had a roster full of talent and isn't even going to make the playoffs. They also sucked last year.

The only realistic hire we could get right now to successfully replace Cal is Pearl. And he has had issues cheating at his last 2 stops.

Nurse and Vogel aren't leaving the NBA to come to the collegiate level. Not to mention, Vogel had a roster full of talent and isn't even going to make the playoffs. They also sucked last year.
Pure conjecture on your end.

Half the travel time as the NBA and about twice the salary.

Vogel makes $4 million. Nurse makes $8 million. UK would pay more than each.

It's weird that the Cult of Cal guys such as yourself routinely try to make UK look like a slumland with the "the only realistic hire" bit.

Pure conjecture on your end.

Half the travel time as the NBA and about twice the salary.

Vogel makes $4 million. Nurse makes $8 million. UK would pay more than each.

It's weird that the Cult of Cal guys such as yourself routinely try to make UK look like a slumland with the "the only realistic hire" bit.
You must not follow basketball much. There is this little thing called recruiting that keeps coaches on the road pretty constantly. "Half the travel time of the NBA" 😂.

Vogel's salary with the Laker's has never been revealed. But he had a 4yr 22million deal with the Orlando before going to LA and winning a championship. So I would imagine he makes more than 4 million annually now. NBA coaches don't have to recruit, deal with grades and school issues, deal with the NCAA. They don't have a cap on how much and when they can coach their time or spend time around them. They have longer season with more room for error and get to play series vs 1 and out. They also have to coach defense.

How am I a Cal cult guy? Is it simply because I ask for realistic names to be a replacement?

I never understood why you all get so defensive over people expecting a list of realistic replacements that would be better than what we have now?

Reactions: Montana81
I'm not suggesting hiring anyone right now. It's just sad that Cal with all this talent and highest salary in college bball, is owned by Barnes. He gets more out of his guys.

You must not follow basketball much. There is this little thing called recruiting that keeps coaches on the road pretty constantly. "Half the travel time of the NBA" 😂.

Vogel's salary with the Laker's has never been revealed. But he had a 4yr 22million deal with the Orlando before going to LA and winning a championship. So I would imagine he makes more than 4 million annually now. NBA coaches don't have to recruit, deal with grades and school issues, deal with the NCAA. They don't have a cap on how much and when they can coach their time or spend time around them. They have longer season with more room for error and get to play series vs 1 and out. They also have to coach defense.

How am I a Cal cult guy? Is it simply because I ask for realistic names to be a replacement?

I never understood why you all get so defensive over people expecting a list of realistic replacements that would be better than what we have now?
I'll address your first paragraph.

Yes - half the travel time.

82 game regular season. 41 road games. More if you're in the playoffs. Consider all the games played on opposite sides of the country. Cal doesn't have to face that except maybe two or three times a year. A guy like Vogel is going to have to coach through East coast road swings multiple times each season, and in some cases for weeks on end.

Kentucky, meanwhile, played 14 games away from Rupp this year. Many of those were regional and relatively close to Lexington.

+1 SEC Tourney locations = 15 road locations.

Even if they play all 6 tournament games (three of those being in the same gym as the game before), that's about 40% of the actual game travel time as the NBA (not counting NBA playoffs).

And comparing an NBA road game experience on an opposite coast of the country to watching a recruit in a gym somewhere is a bit unbalanced. Cal probably takes 15 to 20 recruiting trips per year. He sends his assistants for the rest. Recruiting trips vs. NBA road trips is like comparing a solo road trip to that of being a youth pastor and taking a bus load of kids to summer camp. It's totally different from an emotional and responsibility standpoint.

Even if we're liberal, Cal's taking 20 recruiting visits per year, plus 15 road games and three (at the most) road locations in the NCAA Tournament = 35 travel trips per year. Plus, the college season is done two months before the NBA season. Cal has to spend a few days in the summer recruiting, but it's nothing earth shattering.

People exaggerate salaries. Take the OP for instance, when asked how much he makes, he doesn't say minimum wage and 12 thousand. He says 2 million plus the 12 thousand he makes at minimum wage so he answers 2 million 12 thousand

I'm not suggesting hiring anyone right now. It's just sad that Cal with all this talent and highest salary in college bball, is owned by Barnes. He gets more out of his guys.
has he ever made a FF?
i know he has had a lot of talent

Cal is NOT the highest paid coach this year. Coach Rat Face K makes 9.7 million.
Cal makes around 8.1 million this year then goes to 8.5 million for the next 4 years then 9 million for the next 4 years after that. What I know is this Rick Barnes since being hired by Tennessee in 2015 has been to 3 NCAA Tournaments. He has lost in first round, 2nd round and round of 16. Woooooooo hoooooooo
Kick arse
No thanks
Coach Cal is very good in the tournament. Very good.

Go Cats

has he ever made a FF?
i know he has had a lot of talent
2003, the year Dwayne Wade went Nuclear on us. Texas lost to eventual champion Syracuse in Semi with Carmelo
Kansas beat Dwayne Wade and Marquette.
Kansas lost with Roy, then Roy bolted to UNC

2003, the year Dwayne Wade went Nuclear on us. Texas lost to eventual champion Syracuse in Semi with Carmelo
Kansas beat Dwayne Wade and Marquette.
Kansas lost with Roy, then Roy bolted to UNC
so he has been a head coach since 1987 and has 1 FF
lets skip the first years and just go with Texas and Tenn.
1998 to present he has 1 FF (23 years) not counting this year

look at our all-time record in the SECT against Vandy

sometimes it just is

so he has been a head coach since 1987 and has 1 FF
lets skip the first years and just go with Texas and Tenn.
1998 to present he has 1 FF (23 years) not counting this year

look at our all-time record in the SECT against Vandy

sometimes it just is
I'm Anti Tennessee and Anti Barnes
In 2006-2007 he had Kevin Durant and lost in 2nd round.
When Tennessee loses in this tournament, I guarantee you will go who is that?
I don't know that team.
It's every year with him

Reactions: mebeblue2
ADVERTISEMENT