ADVERTISEMENT

8,000,000 Apply for Student Loan Forgiveness

Just to set the record straight - those of you against this decision were also adamantly against the PPP, right?
Yes. I was against every check that the government has written to people and businesses dating back to bailout of General Motors. All of it was wasteful poor public policy.

Yes. I was against every check that the government has written to people and businesses dating back to bailout of General Motors. All of it was wasteful poor public policy.
I liked how trump gave money to farmers, to fix a problem he created.

Why do you blame Biden and other politicians for inflation? The cause is not only in their actions. I suppose I'll get a lot of hate here, but do you see the international situation? That means there is a global inflation difficult to control. European countries are in the same situation, but as far as I know, no one is judging or blaming their political heads. It's just a matter of lack of economic knowledge. This dispute led me to study more and I got college papers for money to learn and analyze the world economic situation. So what's important to understand after checking this out is that we shouldn't blame our president. It matters when he wins the election campaign, because a bad situation in the world can happen in anyone's presidential years. Therefore, my political views and economic data are reliable because they are part of some professionals' opinions.

Last edited:
Why do you blame Biden and other politicians for inflation? The cause is not only in their actions. I suppose I'll get a lot of hate here, but do you see the international situation? It is a much more global inflation. The countries of Europe are in the same ****, but as far as I know, no one is judging or holding their political heads guilty. It's just about the luck of economic knowledge.
I have nothing personal with anyone*
Let me ask you this, what political party here in the US has been in control for the past 2 years.

FYI, America is a MASSIVE player in the worlds economy and how things play out worldwide.

Reactions: MaryGuzman
Why do you blame Biden and other politicians for inflation? The cause is not only in their actions. I suppose I'll get a lot of hate here, but do you see the international situation? It is a much more global inflation. The countries of Europe are in the same ****, but as far as I know, no one is judging or holding their political heads guilty. It's just about the luck of economic knowledge.

Joined yesterday and made a political post in the student loan thread. Which sock is this? Ed?

Let me ask you this, what political party here in the US has been in control for the past 2 years.

FYI, America is a MASSIVE player in the worlds economy and how things play out worldwide.
Yes, I agree with the US role in the world economy. However, it's not the only one that matters, is it? And what do you want to say with Republicans and Democrats here?🤔

Err, is there a problem here? Can't a newbie talk about student loan forgiveness and political interdependence?
I didn't read the other thread but do you think the American tax payer should be stuck with student loan debt? If so, why? What about those that pursue a different vocation that costs money but doesn't fall under the University Education umbrella? Should we pay for that as well? Should the American tax payer just cover the cost for all college expenses?

• Wow
Reactions: MaryGuzman
The reason I blame him, Trump, Obama, and Bush is because of simple economics. As Milton Friedman said "Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output." We have increased the money supply by huge amounts during the terms of the last 4 Presidents. Worldwide inflation is happening for the same reason. Virtually every country on earth tried to spend its way out of the Covid shutdowns they imposed on their economies. This is leading to worldwide inflation.

Reactions: kyeric
Massive Government spending (American Rescue Plan, Infrastructure Bill and the green energy Inflation Reduction Act), and anti fossil fuel policies/regulation are two major causes of our high inflation directly caused by Biden. The Fed overestimating the economy and supply chain problems also are part of the problem.

Europe is in trouble because the are paying 10x what we are for natural gas. They decided to rely on Russian supplied gas while shutting down nuclear power plants. That all backfired with Ukraine. They have also held their interest rates low for to long.

I’m gonna need these lawsuits to get shot down in the courts ASAP. That would be $20,000 off my loans and that’s huge

Not shocking in the least, but just one more person hoodwinked by the liberals in an effort to get votes. Not that you needed any enticing in the first place, but many younger people did.

This move was unconstitutional and never had a prayer of being reality. The kick in the nuts is Biden and every other politician involved knew this would never go through. Didn’t matter though because it was still on the table during election time, which is what this was all about.

Any handout hopeful is just a sucker in a political game being played by the Dems to win the midterm. Pawns, which unlike the great words of Laurence Fishburne in Higher Learning, you’ll never be a very powerful player. Just a sucker…

Not shocking in the least, but just one more person hoodwinked by the liberals in an effort to get votes. Not that you needed any enticing in the first place, but many younger people did.

This move was unconstitutional and never had a prayer of being reality. The kick in the nuts is Biden and every other politician involved knew this would never go through. Didn’t matter though because it was still on the table during election time, which is what this was all about.

Any handout hopeful is just a sucker in a political game being played by the Dems to win the midterm. Pawns, which unlike the great words of Laurence Fishburne in Higher Learning, you’ll never be a very powerful player. Just a sucker…
Was voting for Biden anyway, if anyone on the right had thought of trying to use government to take $20,000 off my loans, I would’ve considered voting for them too. Don’t care about political points, just trying to keep some money

Was voting for Biden anyway, if anyone on the right had thought of trying to use government to take $20,000 off my loans, I would’ve considered voting for them too. Don’t care about political points, just trying to keep some money

🤣🤣🤣🤣 You’ve just destroyed any credibility you may have had, which probably wasn’t much. I also pointed out in my post you didn’t need any enticing to vote for Biden, so a post pointing that out was not really necessary.

Back to the original point, you just admitted you can be bought on a singular issue. That was exactly what the Dems were counting on with millions, while KNOWING beyond all doubt it would never actually happen.

So does it not make you even slightly mad that your party outright lied to you about something you clearly find to be extremely important? Does that not give you any pause at all? How many millions voted based on this ghost of a promise? It’s scary to think about how incredibly easy it is for these politicians to manipulate the masses. The timing to have this out there for election time while knowing it couldn’t be shot down by the courts until after the election. Could that possibly be why he didn’t this 12 months or even 6 months earlier? Food for thought…

Maybe an eyebrow should be raised about manipulation and Covid response???

That’s a different discussion though 🧐

Reactions: IdaCat
Again, don’t care about credibility, just want my loans to be forgiveness. Have you had discussions with them, how do you know that they “outright lied”? The court cases are still ongoing and if for some reason, the loan forgiveness isn’t held up, they have other routes and statutes that they can use to hold up their argument to try and get loan forgiveness passed. Trump had 4 years in office to do the exact thing that Biden is attempting to do, he could’ve done this during the 2020 election and it probably would’ve benefitted him. For Biden there is really no loss, if it gets passed then he looks like a hero. If it gets shot down then Republicans are the villains and he has other avenues to try and get it passed again.

Again, don’t care about credibility, just want my loans to be forgiveness. Have you had discussions with them, how do you know that they “outright lied”? The court cases are still ongoing and if for some reason, the loan forgiveness isn’t held up, they have other routes and statutes that they can use to hold up their argument to try and get loan forgiveness passed. Trump had 4 years in office to do the exact thing that Biden is attempting to do, he could’ve done this during the 2020 election and it probably would’ve benefitted him. For Biden there is really no loss, if it gets passed then he looks like a hero. If it gets shot down then Republicans are the villains and he has other avenues to try and get it passed again.

The reason Trump and no one else should do what Biden is “trying” to do is because it doesn’t fix the problem. So you give everyone $20k, great. You’re just going right back in this crises and to be honest you never really got out of it.

I’m actually not completely against a level of loan forgiveness, but I am against it without addressing the problem itself. These gov’t guaranteed loans are 1000% the problem and the universities and colleges are exploiting that to the fullest extent possible. Gov’t gives out money, school raises tuition. School raises tuition, gov’t increases loan availability. On and on in that cycle forever.

So end the gov’t loan program and guaranteed money, and this problem solves itself rather quickly. Private banks will assess ROI in fields of study and determine risk levels associated with those fields and give loans accordingly. Entire useless departments would immediately shut down at these schools and overhead would drop like a rock. We would rapidly return to a time when college degrees were not necessary in many fields and only those who can succeed in high paying fields can get loans for college. Bye bye political science and gender studies degrees…

Of course there is always room to negotiate and it doesn’t need to be a blanket end all gov’t loans, but MAJOR reform is needed along with checks and balances, which currently do not exist.

So that piece of change you want so bad does NOTHING to solve this problem, and it’s one definitely worth solving. That said, there is good reason gov’t (both political parties) do not want to actually fix this, and it isn’t because they are on our side…

Hi, Mary, great question! What state do you live in? Kindly. You seem like a pure and honest person. Kindly.

Biden doesn't have the authority to waive $500-$750 billion worth of debt. Such loan forgiveness would have to be authorized by Congress. Both Biden and Pelosi are on record just a year or so ago saying that they don't have the authority to cancel the debt. They were just trying to buy votes with this stunt and sadly it worked.

Biden doesn't have the authority to waive $500-$750 billion worth of debt. Such loan forgiveness would have to be authorized by Congress. Both Biden and Pelosi are on record just a year or so ago saying that they don't have the authority to cancel the debt. They were just trying to buy votes with this stunt and sadly it worked.
It helped that the Republicans put out a lot of sub-par candidates. Optics make a lot of difference in the minds of voters. Democrats are seen as trying to forgive student debt, conservatives were suing this action. Nothing says I’ll stand up for you more than standing by the position of “I want to keep you in debt”

It helped that the Republicans put out a lot of sub-par candidates. Optics make a lot of difference in the minds of voters. Democrats are seen as trying to forgive student debt, conservatives were suing this action. Nothing says I’ll stand up for you more than standing by the position of “I want to keep you in debt”
Actually, it not just "conservatives". People in about 20 states would have to report the forgiveness as income and owe state tax on the forgiveness. Many would be worse off because of this. That is one of the cases in the courts now. Also what is wrong with being on the side of paying what you owe. When you took out your loan, no one told you that you wouldn't have to pay it back. Why should you get a $20,000 windfall vs. someone who worked hard and repaid their loan within the last few years.

Actually, it not just "conservatives". People in about 20 states would have to report the forgiveness as income and owe state tax on the forgiveness. Many would be worse off because of this. That is one of the cases in the courts now. Also what is wrong with being on the side of paying what you owe. When you took out your loan, no one told you that you wouldn't have to pay it back. Why should you get a $20,000 windfall vs. someone who worked hard and repaid their loan within the last few years.
That’s why the Biden administration said you wouldn’t have to accept it if you didn’t want to.

And no one fell for that obvious attempt to undermine standing.
Maybe they “fell for it” because the Biden administration said that people with loans wouldn’t have to accept it…There really isn’t much standing in that case

That’s why the Biden administration said you wouldn’t have to accept it if you didn’t want to.
At one point, the Biden Administration also said that they didn't have the authority to cancel student debt.

I didn't read the other thread but do you think the American tax payer should be stuck with student loan debt? If so, why? What about those that pursue a different vocation that costs money but doesn't fall under the University Education umbrella? Should we pay for that as well? Should the American tax payer just cover the cost for all college expenses?
Uhmm, I haven't thought about it.🤷‍♀️

You borrowed the money. Why do you think it's appropriate for someone else to pay off your debt. In terms of optics, that makes people like you look like a bunch of selfish people that are out for themselves at the expense of everyone else.

You borrowed the money. Why do you think it's appropriate for someone else to pay off your debt. In terms of optics, that makes people like you look like a bunch of selfish people that are out for themselves at the expense of everyone else.
At least in my situation, I had no expectation that basically all of my loans would be paid off. I've even been paying back a good chunk of the principal balance back each month so that when payments start back, my interest would be lower. But on that note, I'm also not going to say no to $20,000 taken off, optics be damned.

At least in my situation, I had no expectation that basically all of my loans would be paid off. I've even been paying back a good chunk of the principal balance back each month so that when payments start back, my interest would be lower. But on that note, I'm also not going to say no to $20,000 taken off, optics be damned.
The point I was making is your view of optics is all screwed up. The Republicans are trying to do the correct thing. First, the President shouldn't, and doesn't, have that authority. Second, you borrowed the money and benefited from the money. Other people should not have to pay off a loan you took out and benefited from. Why are the optics poor in your mind of someone of trying to do the right thing? And why are the optics good of someone trying to force others to pay off someone's debt, which should be thought of as the wrong thing? I don't get how it can be viewed that way unless the person just cares about his/her self. And think about the implications of voting that way. If people voted based purely on what benefited them, then this country would turn into the majority screwing the minority. We have laws and a system of government for the purpose of protecting from that very thing. I just don't get your point of view. As an aside note, I have two kids that have student loans who would benefit from loan forgiveness, but both kids and myself think it's wrong so we are all against it.

The point I was making is your view of optics is all screwed up. The Republicans are trying to do the correct thing. First, the President shouldn't, and doesn't, have that authority. Second, you borrowed the money and benefited from the money. Other people should not have to pay off a loan you took out and benefited from. Why are the optics poor in your mind of someone of trying to do the right thing? And why are the optics good of someone trying to force others to pay off someone's debt, which should be thought of as the wrong thing? I don't get how it can be viewed that way unless the person just cares about his/her self. And think about the implications of voting that way. If people voted based purely on what benefited them, then this country would turn into the majority screwing the minority. We have laws and a system of government for the purpose of protecting from that very thing. I just don't get your point of view. As an aside note, I have two kids that have student loans who would benefit from loan forgiveness, but both kids and myself think it's wrong so we are all against it.
I grant you that my view is one that can be seen as and is quite selfish. And frankly, I stand by that. We'll see in the courts if Biden has the authority to do this or not. :)

I grant you that my view is one that can be seen as and is quite selfish. And frankly, I stand by that. We'll see in the courts if Biden has the authority to do this or not. :)
So you are basically saying that you don't care about right and wrong as long as you benefit? I guess I can respect that you are honest about it. It doesn't make that point of view right though.

So you are basically saying that you don't care about right and wrong as long as you benefit? I guess I can respect that you are honest about it. It doesn't make that point of view right though.
wrong to you can be right to me and vice versa. i hope we can agree to disagree

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT