ADVERTISEMENT

8,000,000 Apply for Student Loan Forgiveness

Integrity is about doing the right thing, is it not? If we agree that the act of forcing someone to pay the debt of another is wrong, then integrity would dictate that a person speak out against such an action. Instead you have praised the optics and criticized those trying to stop the action that we apparently agree is wrong. You are doing this all because it puts money in your pocket. What about that indicates integrity?
You’re arguing something that I have time and again said I don’t care about. The concept of integrity means zero to me if I don’t have to pay back $20,000. If that makes me a bad person, I couldn’t care less frankly.

🤣

I highly doubt you pay more in taxes than you cost the government. You meant Hank's tax money (and the tax money of others that actually cause a net income to government).
Well considering we both live in Kentucky, just an assumption, then our state as a whole costs the government more than it pays. Assuming that because I’m a democrat means that I cost the government money is based on zero facts. Political party doesn’t equal social and economic standing.

You’re arguing something that I have time and again said I don’t care about. The concept of integrity means zero to me if I don’t have to pay back $20,000. If that makes me a bad person, I couldn’t care less frankly.
Well that says pretty much everything about you. And again, people like you are the problem with politics in thise country.

Well that says pretty much everything about you. And again, people like you are the problem with politics in thise country.
In our economy, cash is king. Let’s not be naive to the world we live in. Your feelings about me have no impact on my wallet.

Can’t believe how many people fell for this scheme intended for the midterms. Lol.

It really shows how easy the left has been able to create paranoia and a fake modern civil rights era to keep voter blocs in place. I don’t think it’s going to be useful over the next 20.

A few thoughts.
Student loan cancellation is NOT a popular policy, and polls indicate 76% of Americans do not support it due mostly to it's latent unfairness, especially to those that received and honorably repaid their loans.

However it is true that colleges have taken advantage of the easy money students have access to raising tuition and other fees to ridiculous levels. I mean if you can walk, breath and sign your name you can get tens of thousands of dollars. Why is there no due diligence done like when you apply for a car loan or mortgage?
If a student wants $40,000 to get a degree in European history does anyone seriously think the chances of repayment are great? In commercial lending higher risks applicants pay higher interest rates or are not qualified.

Also what about students needing student loans right now? Will they be required to repay them or will they be "forgiven" also?

I think they could do some common sense things to alleviate the situation such as lowering the interest rate to something close to zero, or look at what some other countries have done like Australia where you simply pay a small tax like 2% of your wages for lifetime. That works out to be close to a zero sum game.

As usually I agree with Judge Roberts on this who has spoken about the unfairness and has suggested that something of this nature needs to be taken up by Congress. So I think the SCOTUS gives this a big thumbs down.

what about the drivers of 18 wheeler that had to borrow 300,000 to buy their truck to make a living. Or how about a mechanic that had to buy 20,000 for tools to work? Many more examples of this but I think you get what Im saying.

Most of these loans that this POS administration will go to Ivy league students which is just another example that the elites want to stay in power. Its about votes and nothing else.

what about the drivers of 18 wheeler that had to borrow 300,000 to buy their truck to make a living. Or how about a mechanic that had to buy 20,000 for tools to work? Many more examples of this but I think you get what Im saying.

Most of these loans that this POS administration will go to Ivy league students which is just another example that the elites want to stay in power. Its about votes and nothing else.

They aren’t voting for the cause man. Truck drivers don’t help fight for elite corruption and don’t “keep america moving”. They should have gotten degrees in insta modeling and gender studies. Those are the real people keeping this country going.

Eff those progressives: hope they drown in their debt and rid the country of their stupidity.

My favorite is this nonsensical comparison to PPP loans. In other words they're trying to compare the government forceably shutting down business to someone taking out a loan by their own choice. Lol. Not to mention one had complete bi partisan support, not even all democrats support the other.

These ppl also need to understand how the Supreme Court works...there is no "I like this clause" it doesn't matter if it's liked or hated all that matters is if it's constitutional. D's have brainwashed ppl to believe the court is supposed to be an apparatus to push policy whims thru

A few thoughts.
Student loan cancellation is NOT a popular policy, and polls indicate 76% of Americans do not support it due mostly to it's latent unfairness, especially to those that received and honorably repaid their loans.

However it is true that colleges have taken advantage of the easy money students have access to raising tuition and other fees to ridiculous levels. I mean if you can walk, breath and sign your name you can get tens of thousands of dollars. Why is there no due diligence done like when you apply for a car loan or mortgage?
If a student wants $40,000 to get a degree in European history does anyone seriously think the chances of repayment are great? In commercial lending higher risks applicants pay higher interest rates or are not qualified.

Also what about students needing student loans right now? Will they be required to repay them or will they be "forgiven" also?

I think they could do some common sense things to alleviate the situation such as lowering the interest rate to something close to zero, or look at what some other countries have done like Australia where you simply pay a small tax like 2% of your wages for lifetime. That works out to be close to a zero sum game.

As usually I agree with Judge Roberts on this who has spoken about the unfairness and has suggested that something of this nature needs to be taken up by Congress. So I think the SCOTUS gives this a big thumbs down.

The part that pissed me off the most is that it didn't do ANYTHING to stop this from happening again. What needs to happen is to allow students to declare bankruptcy and also have lenders assess credit worthiness of applicants. That would end the nonsense right there and also hammer the schools.

The part that pissed me off the most is that it didn't do ANYTHING to stop this from happening again. What needs to happen is to allow students to declare bankruptcy and also have lenders assess credit worthiness of applicants. That would end the nonsense right there and also hammer the schools.
BINGO.

It doesn't even fix the problem.

Also can we talk about the shit ROI on many majors that colleges offer? Why are we even giving massive debt out to a kid for a Cinema Studies degree? There's no career where that degree is paying anything. So why do we have anyone teaching stuff like that?

Don't get me wrong, those are fun classes but there's no actual value to it and certainly doesn't warrant thousands of dollars to talk bullshit in what's essentially a country club for 18-20 somethings.

I absolutely completely do NOT support this policy as it is targeted at the people that LEAST need or deserve a break.

Seriously, snotty lazy kids in the prime of their life are the ones that need help not hardworking middle class families?

Republicans take care of the rich. Dems take care of wokesters, poor, and minorities. Middle class once again takes the shaft. Absolutely insance policies.

The health of a country is measured by the strength of its middle class, not the rich nor the poor and especially not the spoiled rotten teenage moochers.

Want to go to school then pick a school that you can afford to attend while you work your arse off to pay for like I did.

This filthy Marxist pig is screaming to keep feeding the corrupt system. Fixing nothing.

17a54719a95cf7a60223382ac7e1b4dc.gif

Republicans take care of the rich. Dems take care of wokesters, poor, and minorities. Middle class once again takes the shaft. Absolutely insance policies.
Aren’t Dems taking care of the people who are the most financially able to pay their loans with this?

A few thoughts.

This. I am not opposed to forgiveness but only if it's tied to major overhaul of student loans and tuition in general. Otherwise we arrive at the exact same problem again in 10-15 years.

Remove their bankruptcy protection. That solves everything. It's far and away the best option.

Next option is to cap tuition and/or cap loans but that really is counterproductive and unfair to low income high achievers. Make them interest free? Only solves a very small portion of the problem.

Make them available for select degrees/professions? Sounds nice but government is 15 years behind so they definitely can't look 5-10 years in the future. So that's destined for failure.

Just remove bankruptcy protection. It's really that f79ing easy and solves everything literally overnight.

Reactions: rudd1
A few thoughts.

Why not actually make the institutions that charged the outrageous amounts refund those students an amount that would cut the fat out of the cost and make it reasonable.

Question on the 2% tax increase. Increase for who? The student or everyone who works.

There was a time very recently when large tech companies essentially had access to unlimited pipelines of cash. As a result, many of them tolerated many unnecessary layers of middle management that weren’t actually driving value for consumers or shareholders. As the pipeline of cash has dried up a bit recently, those large tech companies have wiped out thousands of nonvalue add employees.

Conversely the post secondary education business truly has an unlimited pipeline of cash. It’s blown up with unnecessary layers of useless employees and departments that are not driving value for students.

The supply of cash cannot remain unlimited or the colleges and universities will never correct course.

The system needs to be reformed. Then we can start by forcing colleges and universities to cut costs and make them surrender their endowments dollar for dollar for each one of their students who can’t pay their loans because they were sold a degree that isn’t marketable.

This is where I differ than a lot of conservatives. I am sympathetic with this issue because the whole system is predatory.

- The propaganda to go to college or be considered a loser was pushed on an entire generation. There;s not a 30-45 year old right now who wasn't told that you'd be working at McDonald's if you didn't get a college degree.

- Your brain isn't even fully developed and these kids have NEVER HAD TO PAY FOR A SINGLE THING IN THEIR LIVES yet, we suddenly expect them to make sound financial decisions as a whole? Can't drink a beer or be trusted to rent a car but hey, let's hand out five to six figure debt for something they have no concept of ROI on.

- Who caused tuition to become unaffordable? Who raised those rates? Who got involved to make that happen? Who made corporations make college serve as the middle man to their world?

This isn't even mentioning that guidance counselors during that time period made trade school (and even military) seem like it was only suitable for idiots and stoners.

- This is also ignoring the people stuck with debt that had good majors and have good jobs. Not everyone who went to college and has student loans has a liberal arts degree.

That's straight up true. Now, obviously, there are people who still made good decisions. But they also probably had parents who were hip to it or had the financial wherewithal for this but young people are impressionable and a product of their teaching. It's like the crowd who talks about the 'everyone gets a trophy' culture (which I disagree with). Did those kids decide that for themselves? No. That shit was the product of that generation of parents who couldn't handle their kid sucked at t-ball.

Until they reform the whole system including reigning in colleges swindling these students its just another black hole for government to sink money into. Call me when corrupt politicians go after those who donate to their campaigns and brainwash their students to think and vote in favor of those politicians.

Reactions: SDC888
This is where I differ than a lot of conservatives. I am sympathetic with this issue because the whole system is predatory.

- The propaganda to go to college or be considered a loser was pushed on an entire generation. There;s not a 30-45 year old right now who wasn't told that you'd be working at McDonald's if you didn't get a college degree.

- Your brain isn't even fully developed and these kids have NEVER HAD TO PAY FOR A SINGLE THING IN THEIR LIVES yet, we suddenly expect them to make sound financial decisions as a whole? Can't drink a beer or be trusted to rent a car but hey, let's hand out five to six figure debt for something they have no concept of ROI on.

- Who caused tuition to become unaffordable? Who raised those rates? Who got involved to make that happen? Who made corporations make college serve as the middle man to their world?

This isn't even mentioning that guidance counselors during that time period made trade school (and even military) seem like it was only suitable for idiots and stoners.

- This is also ignoring the people stuck with debt that had good majors and have good jobs. Not everyone who went to college and has student loans has a liberal arts degree.

That's straight up true. Now, obviously, there are people who still made good decisions. But they also probably had parents who were hip to it or had the financial wherewithal for this but young people are impressionable and a product of their teaching. It's like the crowd who talks about the 'everyone gets a trophy' culture (which I disagree with). Did those kids decide that for themselves? No. That shit was the product of that generation of parents who couldn't handle their kid sucked at t-ball.

Everyone agrees it’s a shitty predatory system that needs to be fixed.

Forgiving the debt just makes it worse.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
What gets me is that a lot of the people making this argument are the same ones who tell us that kids can irreparably maim themselves in the name of gender fluidity. "Your brain's not developed enough at 18 to take a loan, but you should be able to vote at 16 and feel free to take puberty blockers and treat your body like it's a Mr. Potato Head starting in elementary school." Not to mention that basic personal finance is not an ungraspable concept to most 17-year-old students, but our schools are more concerned about teaching them wokeness.

The commoditization of a bachelor's degree is a big problem. We ran into the same issue with the commoditization of home ownership in 2008. "Success" meant home ownership, so let's lower the credit standards in order to create as many homeownership opportunities as possible. Same thing here. A college education equals "success," so let's make a bachelor's degree accessible to as many people as possible, regardless of whether they can afford it or if it's appropriate for them. Let's be honest - a bachelor's degree is not truly necessary for the majority of non-STEM careers. Many ultimately train on-the-job anyway. And trades are in high demand; it's not unheard of to reach six-figures by the time you would've finished undergrad. But no, go ahead and rack up debt getting a bachelor's degree in gender studies, end up being forced to take a job you could've gotten with a high school diploma, then hope that the government bails you out in exchange for your vote.

There was a time very recently when large tech companies essentially had access to unlimited pipelines of cash. As a result, many of them tolerated many unnecessary layers of middle management that weren’t actually driving value for consumers or shareholders. As the pipeline of cash has dried up a bit recently, those large tech companies have wiped out thousands of nonvalue add employees.

Conversely the post secondary education business truly has an unlimited pipeline of cash. It’s blown up with unnecessary layers of useless employees and departments that are not driving value for students.

The supply of cash cannot remain unlimited or the colleges and universities will never correct course.

The system needs to be reformed. Then we can start by forcing colleges and universities to cut costs and make them surrender their endowments dollar for dollar for each one of their students who can’t pay their loans because they were sold a degree that isn’t marketable.
This is so correct that no politician will ever say it. That’s how bad our leadership is.

Reactions: VaxxedObamaCat
Dumbest most misguided policy of all time. Need somebody's head for this.

ADVERTISEMENT