ADVERTISEMENT

6 teams in top 16 rpi

The trouble with RPI is that it reflects who you've played and who they've played, but not how good you actually are.

It isn't worth much in predicting how good a team is but it is absolutely relevant considering the selection committee uses it so heavily.

Apparently they are moving towards other measures.

But the fact remains they have team sheets for every team breaking down the stats. When comparing to other teams, those team sheets are based on RPI still.

So despite now looking at other numbers, as long as the team sheets are still based on RPI, that's gonna be a major factor.

Reactions: ganner918
My hope is they do away with the NCAA tournament, and just use the RPI to decide the National Champion.
I think it would be a lot more exciting this way.

Apparently they are moving towards other measures.

But the fact remains they have team sheets for every team breaking down the stats. When comparing to other teams, those team sheets are based on RPI still.

So despite now looking at other numbers, as long as the team sheets are still based on RPI, that's gonna be a major factor.

I believe this year they are running an in-the-background trial of multiple metrics, and might in future years go away from solely RPI-based metrics for top 50, good wins, bad losses, etc. For now, RPI is woven through everything (though they did introduce adjustments for home/away in what counts as a good win/bad loss).

The trouble with RPI is that it reflects who you've played and who they've played, but not how good you actually are.

Just curious. What are you basing that on?

One of the best computer ranking algorithms looks at who you played (& outcome), and who that team has played (& outcome), and who those teams played (& outcome), and does this for 2-3 more iterations. Of course it doesn't just consider who won, but where the game was at, margin of victory, and how recent the game was.
The only thing I can think of that it doesn't consider is players who did/didn't play due to an injury, or are/aren't playing now due to an injury.

My hope is they do away with the NCAA tournament, and just use the RPI to decide the National Champion.
I think it would be a lot more exciting this way.

Any computer ranking, or non-computer ranking, is simply a way to compare teams. Does the best team always win in sports? No! If 2 teams play multiple times, even in the same arena, do you get the same outcome each time? No! But if you have enough data, and it is analyzed properly, you can get a probability, i.e. Team X is 70% likely to beat Team Y. But in a 1 game scenario, you shouldn't be shocked if Team Y wins.

Now every computer ranking is done slightly different from others, and may have biases that others don't, but that doesn't mean you should discount the concept.

With Michael Porter out for the season we will see Missouri fall and we know how Coach Barnes at UT likes to blow games so they will fall during the SEC. I believe in the end it will be UK, TA&M, UF, and Bama as the top 4 teams in the SEC and for sure to make the NCAA Tournament. There will be maybe 2-3 more teams in March to make the NCAA Tourney. The Top 3 teams in the SEC will be UK, TA&M, and UF.

ADVERTISEMENT