ADVERTISEMENT

6% of Americans believe they could beat a grizzly bear in a fight

Lord Z

Blue Chip Prospect
Apr 24, 2021
Probably more like 80% here in The Paddock.

Six per cent of Americans believe they could beat up a grizzly bear in unarmed combat but almost a third think they would lose in a fight against a rat or house cat, a new survey has found.

YouGov research found just 72 per cent of US men and women thought they would triumph in a clash with the rodent, while 69 per cent thought they would get the better of a domesticated feline. 61 per cent of Americans claimed they would best a goose.

In findings that make a mockery of the pioneering spirit of the old West, less than half of those surveyed (49 per cent) thought they could beat a medium sized dog. That drops to just 23 per cent if the animal opponent was a large dog.

Six percent of Americans believe they could beat a grizzly bear in a fight

There is a reason why experts tell you that your best bet against a bear is to cover up and play dead.

8 per cent of those surveyed said they could beat a lion, gorilla or elephant in a fight.

The poll of 1,224 adults found that one in five US men thought they could knock out a chimpanzee or king cobra.

LOL.

c0cad4bba21979c604c93784b2127dae.jpg

Ok

8 per cent of those surveyed said they could beat a lion, gorilla or elephant in a fight.

The poll of 1,224 adults found that one in five US men thought they could knock out a chimpanzee or king cobra.

LOL.
Okay, now I want to watch someone try and knock out a cobra.

Serious gun owners are generally not ignorant to the stopping power of their weapons. It takes a powerful, deep penetrating round, and good shot placement to assure stopping a grizzly. I wouldn't want to be near one in the wild, even carrying a suitable weapon.

I'm more worried about mountain lions in my immediate area. They are stealthy quick dangerous, but easier to take down, if you can hit the MFers.

Where would you draw the line of which apex predator you could take, assuming you were one on one and you pissed it off enough? And one of you has to die.

Orca - obviously not. I can't swim that fast.
Great White Sharks - unless that nose punch thing is real, nah.
Tiger - they’re just stupid big
Polar Bear - no. I’d just turn into red hair dye.
Lion - I think you’d have to try pretty hard to make it mad, but no. Dead.
Golden Eagle - if things are just right, I feel I could grab it above the talons and Hulk smash it.
Saltwater Croc - nope
Komodo Dragon - I thought maybe, but then saw they can be 10 feet long.
Snow Leopard - they’re big, but not crazy heavy. Maybe it could get disoriented by a few hits and I could throw it off a cliff or something. Otherwise, no.
Grizzly - one swipe and I’m a goner.
Dingo - one on one, maybe. If’n I don’t have a baby to steal, they’d probably be confused why I was walking toward it in the first place.
Wolf - No thanks.

Last edited:
Where would you draw the line of which apex predator you could take, assuming you were one on one and you pissed it off enough? And one of you has to die.

Orca - obviously not. I can swim that fast.
Golden Eagle - if things are just right, I feel I could grab it above the talons and Hulk smash it.
Saltwater Croc - nope
Snow Leopard - they’re big, but not crazy heavy. Maybe it could get disoriented by a few hits and I could throw it off a cliff or something. Otherwise, no.
Dingo - one on one, maybe. If’n I don’t have a baby to steal, they’d probably be confused why I was walking toward it in the first place.
Wolf - No thanks.
Essential Movie GIFs — The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

You forgot one.

Serious gun owners are generally not ignorant to the stopping power of their weapons. It takes a powerful, deep penetrating round, and good shot placement to assure stopping a grizzly. I wouldn't want to be near one in the wild, even carrying a suitable weapon.

I'm more worried about mountain lions in my immediate area. They are stealthy quick dangerous, but easier to take down, if you can hit the MFers.

The survey says you are unarmed.

Seasoned guides have been killed by Grizzlies even when they're well armed and get off a good shot. I read about all predator attacks in North America by Bears and Mountain Lions as I find the topic fascinating. I've hiked extensively in mountain lion territory solo because if you're a large man over 6' it would be unprecedented for a mountain lion to fatally attack you. Small men, women, and children are fatalities of mountain lion attacks, not large men.

I did a ton of hiking solo in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park in Southern Cal right in the same area where a school teacher was killed and eaten by a young male lion. They have a plaque on the trail for her near where she was killed. Scariest moment on a trail I've ever had was out that way. I was trying to get to the top and got tired of all the cutbacks on a trail up to Stonewall Peak and headed off trail straight up and the brush got really thick and everything went dead quiet. Hair on the back of my neck was standing straight up. I was 100% certain a mountain lion was looking at me. I didn't question that feeling, I slowly backed down the way I had come without turning my back. Never saw anything. Never heard anything, But I know it was there.

Last edited:
Mountain lion sightings are not that uncommon in my town. One was captured in a backyard tree a few hundred yards from my house. I have a tree in my yard that had big scratches in the bark that I'm convinced was a ML. Neighbor saw one behind his yard. ISU had sightings on campus a couple of years ago. I don't worry about it, but I do know they are possible. On the trails I carry, but if one was stalking me it may not help.

I live up against the undeveloped foothills and see all kinds of wild animals. We have seen moose walking down the street, which is cool.

That bear probably wouldn't go two rounds with that guy, the bear would be begging for mercy.

Funny (but true) story, my roommate (Japanese guy) and I went camping in Yosemite in the 60s (Not today) and got there late, about 10PM, found a place with some trees scattered out, threw out our sleeping bags and went to sleep. Pretty dark but a lot of background light. But first thing we had to clear out some apples for our sleeping bags, they were apple trees. About 1AM Russ woke me up, hey, there's a bear over there, about 70 feet away. Couldn't see him when he laid down,, but he kept raising up and looking at us. Debated running for the car (thought I could outrun Russ. might get him but not me, lol) but Russ was a hunting enthusiast, read a lot of books, and had read if you broke a big stick in the dark it would scare the bear off. Thought it was silly but he did break a big stick and that bear took off like a scalded dog, no way in hell either of us would outrun him.

Next day we went to a Ranger talk about the wildlife. Said not to bother the bears, could be dangerous, but if you really wanted to see one the best place would be the "Old apple orchard". We were in the middle of his dinner, by sheer coincidence.

Now please don't try to scare a bear by breaking a stick in the dark, I still am not sure I believe that worked, but it did------ONE time. But it was also just a black bear, although a pretty big one. True story, swear to God.

Last edited:

Orca - obviously not. I can swim that fast.
Saltwater Croc - nope
Wolf - No thanks.
Make mine a bunny rabbit please. Although they can look pretty fierce if they get mad enough.;

Grizzly a beer? – Paul TheBeerGuy

Must have misread the question.

Another funny story I enjoyed back in the day, when the Kenyans were dominating long distance running. One winner was asked what they owed their success to, he said there were high mountains they trained in, and running there built up their wind and endurance. Then occasionally they would run into a lion while running-------and that REALLY built up their speed.

I've hunted in bear country. I carried my Ruger Super Alaskan Redhawk in .454 Casull, the whole time as my sidearm. My guide said it was a great choice, but only try it as a last means of defense. He recommended not trying to shoot a bear with anything under a .44 Magnum. It'd just piss them off.

Survey doesn’t say it can’t be a newborn grizzly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT