ADVERTISEMENT

4 Cal-era players whose jersey should be retired (LH)

I like it.

Wall - Started the era that got Kentucky back on the map. His success proved Cal's plan to be successful, and it paved the way.
Davis - Enough said.
Ulis - May not have had all the accolades, but he was such an efficient and dependable PG. This one might be a hard sell for some though.
Oscar - Just what he did from a rebounding perspective. Kind of same as Ulis, not a lot of march success, but that was alsoa limitation of the team around them.

I'd like to add one.. I think you can make an argument for Aaron Harrison and his 3 game winners in the tournament. We don't have an Elite8, a Final4, or a title appearance, if not for his heroics. I'd also like to add that his 3-game winners is maybe one of the biggest individual stories for march madness over the last decade.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on Ulis. People love him because he's been one of the few who stuck around to flourish as a sophomore, but I'd definitely put Wall, OT, and Davis up there. Patterson, too. Dude came here and took a chance when UK was becoming Indiana-level. He then gave up a paycheck to come back and try to win one with Wall and company.

3. TYLER ULIS (2014-16) A “two and through” player at Kentucky rather than a “one-and-done,” Ulis as a freshman was a valuable “game closer” on Kentucky’s 38-1 Final Four team in 2014-15.

The 5-9, 160-pound Ulis came back as a sophomore in 2015-16 and produced, arguably, the best season by a point guard in modern UK basketball history. As a soph, Ulis set a single-season UK record with 246 assists and scored 606 points (24th-best season in Kentucky men’s hoops history) and had 51 steals (36th-best season mark at UK). Ulis joined Davis as Kentucky players to be named both SEC Player of the Year and SEC Defensive Player of the Year. The point guard was also selected SEC Tournament MVP after leading the Wildcats to the 2016 championship.

From Story

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
3. TYLER ULIS (2014-16) A “two and through” player at Kentucky rather than a “one-and-done,” Ulis as a freshman was a valuable “game closer” on Kentucky’s 38-1 Final Four team in 2014-15.

The 5-9, 160-pound Ulis came back as a sophomore in 2015-16 and produced, arguably, the best season by a point guard in modern UK basketball history. As a soph, Ulis set a single-season UK record with 246 assists and scored 606 points (24th-best season in Kentucky men’s hoops history) and had 51 steals (36th-best season mark at UK). Ulis joined Davis as Kentucky players to be named both SEC Player of the Year and SEC Defensive Player of the Year. The point guard was also selected SEC Tournament MVP after leading the Wildcats to the 2016 championship.

From Story

That's why I love Ulis. In some ways he had one of the most productive seasons of any player under Cal, simply for the assists and turnover ratio, and also his leadership and poise from day1 that year. I do think there's a case to be made he was our best PG on the Cal era. He just didn't have the team around him.

But I also get that he doesn't quite have the hardware or success either, with the 38-0 season being more about the twins. So I get why people might not retire his jersey

Ulis's sophomore year is probably the 3rd best season under Cal behind Davis and Oscar. Crazy to think that, but it's true.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
AD and Tshiebwe. Both NPOY winners. I believe the only two in school history, maybe?

I think that should qualify you for the Rafters.

Oscar and Davis go up for sure.

Both NPOYs (Kentucky's ONLY NPOYs I might add).

The fact Davis isn't up yet and it's been over 10 years is just wrong. Yes, he was a one and done. But an NPOY, an AA, and part of a title team. How does he NOT go up?

I'd love to put Ulis up, but it's gonna be a while for sure. Same for Wall.

Reactions: bthaunert and ORCAT
AD and Tshiebwe. Both NPOY winners. I believe the only two in school history, maybe?

I think that should qualify you for the Rafters.
They are indeed the only two ever at UK.
And only Oscar was unanimous. (Although Davis should've been....thanks to some numpty of a sports writer).

The fact Davis isn't up yet and it's been over 10 years is just wrong. Yes, he was a one and done. But an NPOY, an AA, and part of a title team. How does he NOT go up?

NameSeasonHonor
Forest Sale1932-33Helms
Leroy Edwards1934-35Helms
Alex Groza1948-49Helms*
Bill Spivey1950-51Helms*
Jack Givens1977-78Helms
John Wall2009-10Rupp
Anthony Davis2011-12Sporting News, USBWA (Oscar Robertson), Rupp, Associated Press, Basketball Times, Wooden, Naismith
Oscar Tshiebwe2021-22AP, NABC, USBWA, Sporting News, Naismith, Wooden, CBS, USA Today, The Athletic

Replied before looking at others' lists:
AD (maybe the only unanamous selection)
Wall (instant credibility for the cal regime)
Patterson (excellent player, provided experience for the super frosh, loyalty points)
Darius Miller (very underrated, glue guy for the various 5 stars, no 2012 title w/out him, loyalty points)

NameSeasonHonor
Forest Sale1932-33Helms
Leroy Edwards1934-35Helms
Alex Groza1948-49Helms*
Bill Spivey1950-51Helms*
Jack Givens1977-78Helms
John Wall2009-10Rupp
Anthony Davis2011-12Sporting News, USBWA (Oscar Robertson), Rupp, Associated Press, Basketball Times, Wooden, Naismith
Oscar Tshiebwe2021-22AP, NABC, USBWA, Sporting News, Naismith, Wooden, CBS, USA Today, The Athletic
The Naismith is considered THE award that's the true NPOY. It's the equivalent of the Heisman. And it started in 1969.

I guess we could count the Helm's ones.....but that means KU's Helms trophies count. I'm not willing to do that. lol

And as your chart says, only Davis and Oscar have the Naismith.

Last edited:

I think this pretty much sums it up.

Any player thats named National Player of the Year should automatically go into the rafters.

And I absolutely loved Ulis, but there’s 15-20 players that should get there before him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT