ADVERTISEMENT

2nd round picks getting paid these days

On a slightly unrelated note, but I know I speak for everyone when I say that I can’t wait till Bruce starts churning out pro prospects year after year after year. Not necessarily for the good of AU’s program, but for the good of nba draft broadcasts. Would be such a treat for all b-ball fans if Bruce’s charismatic and vibrant personality becomes a fixture of the nba draft broadcast

Some guys are getting $2M guaranteed, and some are getting $0. To make such a life altering decision, I would want to know my odds.

Someone (not me) could easily do the research and figure out by pick (31, 32, 33, ..., 59, 60) over say the last 5 years the median contract after being drafted (not a year later, after a good year in the D-league). You could then create a best fit regression line to that.
Or you could group the picks (31-35, 36-40, ..., 56-60) over those 5 years, and calculate the 25% percentile contract, meaning you would have a 75% of a contract that size or larger.

Good read. Behind a wall. Here's some of it:

"A study conducted by The Athletic — using publicly available contractual information collected and organized by Eric Pincus and Spotrac in addition to sources within the NBA — shows that second-round salaries and the frequency that second-rounders selected directly from the NCAA have received guaranteed contacts have risen substantially over the last four years, particularly for players picked in the first 10 spots of the second round.

While it may be technically correct to say that each NBA Draft only has “30 guaranteed contracts” handed out to first-round picks, it’s no longer true that those are the only players getting substantial guarantees in their contracts.

Before going into detail on what the study shows, it’s worth outlining just exactly how much the minimum salary has jumped in the last year for first- and second-year players.

In the 2016-17 season, the minimum salary for rookies was only $543,471, and for second-year players it was $874,636. That’s a total of $1,418,107 over the first two years a player is in the NBA.

That changed substantially for the current season. This year, minimum-salaried rookies received $815,615, with second-year players getting $1,312,611. That’s $2,128,226, or an increase of about 50 percent on the previous season. That’s a big number to pass up as a rookie, but it is still just a pittance for NBA teams to give a potentially useful player.

With the NBA’s salary cap set to reach $101 million next season, teams are basically giving up about 1.4 percent of their salary cap to take fliers on potentially useful players. Because of that, NBA teams have increasingly realized how worthwhile it is to sign second-round picks long-term (three-year deals are the most common)....

Back in the 2014 NBA Draft, just eight out of 22 NCAA-based second-rounders received at least one million dollars and multiple years fully guaranteed. Last year, 13 of the 23 college players picked in the second round received at least a $2 million guarantee, and 15 players received sizable second-year guarantees.

That stands up well with the results of the 2016 Draft, where just six out of 22 NCAA second-round draftees received a $2 million guarantee, but 10 players received full two-year guarantees and 14 players received substantial second-year guarantees.

The numbers are even better if a player is selected in the first 10 picks of the second round. Over the last four drafts, only one NCAA player (DeAndre Daniels, who suffered a shoulder injury and Jones fracture injury in his first two years out of college) out of 32 selected did not receive at least one guaranteed contract year in an offer.

Both K.J. McDaniels and Glenn Robinson III took one-year “prove it” contracts after being picked in 2014, but both had better offers from their respective teams before taking the “qualified tender” contract that every NBA team must offer its second-round picks. In addition, just six out of those 32 players picked from No. 31 to No. 40 didn’t receive full two-year guarantees....

So what does all of this mean?

First and foremost, the discussion surrounding the decision-making process for NBA Draft prospects has to shift. Of course, kids and their families should be allowed to make their own professional choices, something that pundits often seem to forget in analyzing whether or not a kid made a “good or bad” decision to stay in the NBA Draft."

On a slightly unrelated note, but I know I speak for everyone when I say that I can’t wait till Bruce starts churning out pro prospects year after year after year. Not necessarily for the good of AU’s program, but for the good of nba draft broadcasts. Would be such a treat for all b-ball fans if Bruce’s charismatic and vibrant personality becomes a fixture of the nba draft broadcast

[laughing]

I wouldn't call pj beloved. He clearly thinks college for another year isn't worth the many more guaranteed millions he is likely to get next season in a weak draft. Him and his dad IMO have come off as delusional as each have been seemingly looking for any and every reason to leave and at this point it's more of a good riddance thing. You're a 6'7 post up center with no perimeter skills, you're the size of the average NBA SF but you're a center and think going and not taking the basically guaranteed money next season is the right thing. Which just shows me he doesn't take college and UK very seriously. I'll take reid and vando and call it a season we are better off with those 2 anyways as both are much better players.

Some guys are getting $2M guaranteed, and some are getting $0. To make such a life altering decision, I would want to know my odds.

Someone (not me) could easily do the research and figure out by pick (31, 32, 33, ..., 59, 60) over say the last 5 years the median contract after being drafted (not a year later, after a good year in the D-league). You could then create a best fit regression line to that.
Or you could group the picks (31-35, 36-40, ..., 56-60) over those 5 years, and calculate the 25% percentile contract, meaning you would have a 75% of a contract that size or larger.
Actually this guy did all the research. They’re all getting paid. Even the guys after 50 are getting 2 way deals.

Well said friend. Would be such a treat for the viewer. Kinda like how David Shaw goes on NFL network for the draft except Bruce being infinitely more charming.

[roll]
According to our resident AU fan Bruce's recruiting has NBA type players not getting very much playing time. He says that is a nice pick up for you guys, he knows he wouldn't play at AU. [roll] If we can ever catch up with that tradition Auburn has @Denim Vest

Reactions: mrbud
I wouldn't call pj beloved. He clearly thinks college for another year isn't worth the many more guaranteed millions he is likely to get next season in a weak draft. Him and his dad IMO have come off as delusional as each have been seemingly looking for any and every reason to leave and at this point it's more of a good riddance thing. You're a 6'7 post up center with no perimeter skills, you're the size of the average NBA SF but you're a center and think going and not taking the basically guaranteed money next season is the right thing. Which just shows me he doesn't take college and UK very seriously. I'll take reid and vando and call it a season we are better off with those 2 anyways as both are much better players.
In fairness his draft potential is a lot higher than a bunch of guys that declared. A bunch of guys that even signed an agent already. Same thing with Vanderbilt.

Why all the hate? He steal your girl or something?

Reactions: Blueaz and mrbud
[roll]
According to our resident AU fan Bruce's recruiting has NBA type players not getting very much playing time. He says that is a nice pick up for you guys, he knows he wouldn't play at AU. [roll] If we can ever catch up with that tradition Auburn has @Denim Vest
Now now lets be fair I didn't say he wouldn't play I said he'd come off the bench. We got future pros littering the frontcourt rotation. He'd prob get 15+ mins/ gm. I think experience matters even though EJ has great potential.

If EJ came to AU like how God intended, then he’d have played the same way Zach Collins did at Gonzaga. Superior player but the more experienced guys would start over him. He’s not just gonna supplant two USA u-19 olympians in Chuma Okeke or Austin Wiley

If EJ came to AU like how God intended, then he’d have played the same way Zach Collins did at Gonzaga. Superior player but the more experienced guys would start over him. He’s not just gonna supplant two USA u-19 olympians in Chuma Okeke or Austin Wiley

Where were they during the beatdown by Clemson?

@GParmesan

Last edited:
Where were they during the beatdown by Clemson?

giphy.gif

Now now lets be fair I didn't say he wouldn't play I said he'd come off the bench. We got future pros littering the frontcourt rotation. He'd prob get 15+ mins/ gm. I think experience matters even though EJ has great potential.
You do realize that Auburn has had 4 players drafted into the NBA in the last 22 years? Auburn has had 1 non-senior taken in the NBA draft in the past 30 years? Auburn has not had a player taken in the NBA draft since 2009?

Reactions: brianpoe
Please provide one quote from PJ or his dad that is delusional. They are testing the waters as they should. And Reid Travis has never once said he was looking to transfer.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Gang, as I've said EJ is a talent but that doesn't change the facts on where he'd place in Auburn's rotation.

Moving on, pretty crazy the money guys are getting in the 2nd round compared to a few years ago.

We’re not your “gang.” Don’t come over here and try to be too familiar just because some of our resident trolls appreciate your lame troll game. Stay in your lane Laettner lover.

Last edited:
We’re not your “gang.” Don’t come over here and try to be too familiar just because some of our resident trolls appreciate your lame troll game. Stay in your lane Laettner lover.
Well you don’t have to be in the gang if you don’t want.

Please provide one quote from PJ or his dad that is delusional. They are testing the waters as they should. And Reid Travis has never once said he was looking to transfer.
They come off as delusional. Said they'd only stay in draft if guaranteed a first round pick. Which btw is delusional if they think they have a chance at a first round pick. Then he backed off that statement because I'm guessing he realized first round is a pipe dream and they really want to enter the draft even if it means no first round. It comes off as delusional to me that they backed off that statement and seem to be looking for any and every reason to leave UK. Even if staying means a likely guaranteed millions as apposed to the 35k a year he's looking at if he stays in the draft.

Backing off that statement and even thinking that was a realistic possibility in the first place to me comes off as delusional. I'd like to have him back, but if he truly thinks he's better off leaving then fine. Idc anymore concerning him quite honestly as the idea of leaving for this loaded draft instead of next years IMO is very delusional and costly, and judging by the comments from his dad I don't think there's any way he returns after backing off that first round or return statement. IMO if he's told by the team picking 60th that they might end up taking a chance on him with the pick depending on what's available, then I believe that'll be enough for him to leave. To me it just seems very clear that being at UK and staying in college for another year even if it likely means millions of more dollars is a very agonizing thought for him IMO.

Actually this guy did all the research. They’re all getting paid. Even the guys after 50 are getting 2 way deals.

I can't tell, the article is blocked unless you 'log in'. Although I really DOUBT they are "ALL" getting paid. There are 60 draft picks each year. Are you telling me there are 60 NBA veterans retiring or simply being cut every year? AND that all of those that do make a team are getting guaranteed contracts, not prove-yourself deals. AND that those contracts are significant.
Also, I know it was just 1 year (but more than that is just not worth my time). From last year's draft 7 of the final 12 picks were not showing up on an NBA team (ESPN search). The first 18 2nd round picks did well with 16 of those on an NBA team.

I can't tell, the article is blocked unless you 'log in'. Although I really DOUBT they are "ALL" getting paid. There are 60 draft picks each year. Are you telling me there are 60 NBA veterans retiring or simply being cut every year? AND that all of those that do make a team are getting guaranteed contracts, not prove-yourself deals. AND that those contracts are significant.
Also, I know it was just 1 year (but more than that is just not worth my time). From last year's draft 7 of the final 12 picks were not showing up on an NBA team (ESPN search). The first 18 2nd round picks did well with 16 of those on an NBA team.

Here’s some research I did about the last 10 picks in the draft, going back 10 years.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/this-is-why-players-might-want-to-stay-in-college.266452/

And some more about underclassmen who declare for the draft and go undrafted, also going back 10 drafts.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/...assmen-fair-more-numbers.266470/#post-6922047

Ok. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

What happened with Clemson? You guys had a decent regular season but sort of fell apart towards the end along with the curb stomping y’all took from Clemson. One of the most lopsided victories based on your seed in history it seems
Hello friend. Thanks for your question. Think we all know what happened there. At least they were a respectable 5 seed. Oh well such is the tourney.

interesting read:

https://theathletic.com/350458/2018...t-more-worthwhile-for-second-round-prospects/

Short story short guys drafted in the top 50 are getting $2M guaranteed last couple years. Could explain why so many of our beloved Cats and Tigers are testing the waters.

What about what they earn by coming to Auburn? I wonder when the FBI will release those details. We can add that to their first couple years of NBA earnings and get a clearer picture of their net earnings after leaving high school. I’m interested in those numbers as well.

Hello friend. Thanks for your question. Think we all know what happened there. At least they were a respectable 5 seed. Oh well such is the tourney.

"There's another fella who use's that my friend stuff real easy..."- J. Cutter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT