ADVERTISEMENT

247 predicts Kentucky going 4-8 (1-7)

Sep 20, 2014
Their analysis:

“This could be the year the Wildcats take a step back after back-to-back bowl berths under Mark Stoops. On offense, Kentucky has Benny Snell in the backfield but still has to find a quarterback capable of winning games in the SEC. The Wildcats probably won’t get shutout in conference play, but fans may be looking forward to basketball a little sooner than usual.”

They predict UK to finish tied with Vandy for the worst record in the league.

Their full prediction list:

1. Alabama 12-0 (8-0)
2. Georgia 11-1 (7-1)
3. MSU 10-2 (6-2)
4. Auburn 10-2 (6-2)
5. SCAR 9-3 (6-2)
6. A&M 8-4 (5-3)
7. Mizzou 8-4 (5-3)
8. LSU 7-5 (4-4)
9. Fla 6-6 (3-5)
10. Ole Miss 6-6 (2-6)
11. Tenn 5-7 (2-6)
12. Ark 5-7 (1-7)
13. Kentucky 4-8 (1-7)
14. Vandy 4-8 (1-7)

The little zinger about our fans looking forward to basketball early is always nice. Just a nice little reminder of our perception in everyone else’s eyes.

Have to say that if you would’ve told me when Stoops arrived that in year 5 the perception of our program would still be this unbelievably low, I think most of us would’ve been highly disappointed. It’s time for Stoops to put up or shut up this year. 6 or 7 wins and a trip to the Meineke bowl aren’t going to cut it. It’s time for Stoops to do what he told us and to take us to a different level. 6 wins and a trip to a no name bowl gets us only slightly more respect than we had under Joker. These preseason predictions from national and regional outlets only prove that.

They don’t care about 6 wins and a trip to a participation bowl. To them we’re still a basketball school. Also, recruits aren’t buying the hype that Stoops was selling his first year or two when he landed some big names who he sold on hope and big things. Now recruits are saying “show me”. It’s time to put up or a shut up, Stoops. I like coach, but this isn’t the March of dimes, it’s dog eat dog, multi-million dollar SEC football. There’s no reason that the state of our program (which is national and regional perception, let’s just be honest) should be this pitifully low in year 5.

Their analysis:

“This could be the year the Wildcats take a step back after back-to-back bowl berths under Mark Stoops. On offense, Kentucky has Benny Snell in the backfield but still has to find a quarterback capable of winning games in the SEC. The Wildcats probably won’t get shutout in conference play, but fans may be looking forward to basketball a little sooner than usual.”

1. Alabama 12-0 (8-0)
2. Georgia 11-1 (7-1)
3. MSU 10-2 (6-2)
4. Auburn 10-2 (6-2)
5. SCAR 9-3 (6-2)
6. A&M 8-4 (5-3)
7. Mizzou 8-4 (5-3)
8. LSU 7-5 (4-4)
9. Fla 6-6 (3-5)
10. Ole Miss 6-6 (2-6)
11. Tenn 5-7 (2-6)
12. Ark 5-7 (1-7)
13. Kentucky 4-8 (1-7)
14. Vandy 4-8 (1-7)

The little zinger about our fans looking forward to basketball early is always nice. Just a nice little reminder of our perception in everyone else’s eyes.

Have to say that if you would’ve told me when Stoops arrived that in year 5 the perception of our program would still be this unbelievably low, I think most of us would’ve been highly disappointed. It’s time for Stoops to put up or shut up this year. 6 or 7 wins and a trip to the Meineke bowl aren’t going to cut it. It’s time for Stoops to do what he told us and to take us to a different level. 6 wins and a trip to a no name bowl gets us only slightly more respect than we had under Joker. These preseason predictions from national and regional outlets only prove that.

They don’t care about 6 wins and a trip to a participation bowl. To them we’re still a basketball school. Also, recruits aren’t buying the hype that Stoops was selling his first year or two when he landed some big names who he sold on hope and big things. Now recruits are saying “show me”. It’s time to put up or a shut up, Stoops. I like coach, but this isn’t the March of dimes, it’s dog eat dog, multi-million dollar SEC football. There’s no reason that the state of our program (which is national and regional perception, let’s just be honest) should be this pitifully low in year 5.
So it is Stoops fault the media is morons? I guess we could go 4 8 but to predict that after back to back 7 win seasons and like 19 starters returning is not a Stoops problem lol.

That's about the worst pre-season prediction I have seen. If you look at individual pre-season game spreads, yeah, there are only 4 projected wins. But when you look at the overall season outcome probability based on those individual spreads it comes out 6, maybe 7 wins.

It is tough to win without a QB. This has been Stoops Achilles heal since he arrived.

The "uncertainty at QB" thing goes back to the post Woodson era.

Peace

Last edited:
Their analysis:

1. Alabama 12-0 (8-0)
2. Georgia 11-1 (7-1)
3. MSU 10-2 (6-2)
4. Auburn 10-2 (6-2)
5. SCAR 9-3 (6-2)
6. A&M 8-4 (5-3)
7. Mizzou 8-4 (5-3)
8. LSU 7-5 (4-4)
9. Fla 6-6 (3-5)
10. Ole Miss 6-6 (2-6)
11. Tenn 5-7 (2-6)
12. Ark 5-7 (1-7)
13. Kentucky 4-8 (1-7)
14. Vandy 4-8 (1-7)

People will find any way in the world to hate on a coach. This has nothing to do with Coach Stoops. It has something to do with over 60 years of terrible football.

I've said it before but it's worth repeating, football by it's vary nature is a very unpredictable sport, and historically the record of even the smartest prognosticators is abysmal. Not because they aren't knowledgeable, but because of the inability of anyone to predict the future outcome of college football games months in advance with all of the "unknowns"

Nonetheless publishes feel compelled to satisfy their readers by making preseason predictions. I give them about as much credibility as they are worth, which isn't much.

In all honesty, while nothing is a given Georgia is likely to win the East and Vandy is likely to finish last and the other 5 teams could easily finish in any order. But even at that, I think 4 of those could be a dark horse winner of the East.

I for one like the uncertainty because that's what makes watching the games even more fun.

That's about the worst pre-season prediction I have seen. If you look at individual pre-season game spreads, yeah, there are only 4 projected wins. But when you look at the overall season outcome probability based on those individual spreads it comes out 6, maybe 7 wins.

The "uncertainty at QB" thing goes back to the post Woodson era.

Peace

He wasn't spectacular but while Hartline is here, I said people didn't appreciate him enough because he came right after Woodson. I never thought we'd be 10 seasons out from Woodson and Hartline would be the best we'd had since.

247 must think our defense with all but one starter back still isn't good enough to stop SEC offenses. I hope Coach Stoops and our entire team takes all of the disrespect personally!!

This season is the most important in the Stoops era. We have more experience than we've ever had, so if we can't finish above .500 in the SEC with this team, we may never.

He wasn't spectacular but while Hartline is here, I said people didn't appreciate him enough because he came right after Woodson. I never thought we'd be 10 seasons out from Woodson and Hartline would be the best we'd had since.
Hartline's the last UK QB to throw for 3000+ yards in a season.

Hartline had a weenie arm, just proves the QB doesn't have to have a cannon for a arm.
Hartline was the smartest QB to ever play at UK (imo).
If UK gets some intelligent game management play from QB, UK will have a huge year.
Saw where his brother Brian was named Ohio St WR coach this week. Wonder if Mike's coaching anywhere?

I've said it before but it's worth repeating, football by it's vary nature is a very unpredictable sport, and historically the record of even the smartest prognosticators is abysmal. Not because they aren't knowledgeable, but because of the inability of anyone to predict the future outcome of college football games months in advance with all of the "unknowns"

Nonetheless publishes feel compelled to satisfy their readers by making preseason predictions. I give them about as much credibility as they are worth, which isn't much.

In all honesty, while nothing is a given Georgia is likely to win the East and Vandy is likely to finish last and the other 5 teams could easily finish in any order. But even at that, I think 4 of those could be a dark horse winner of the East.

I for one like the uncertainty because that's what makes watching the games even more fun.
You really think UT has a shot at the East?

I think there is a really good chance that we would have beat Pitt in the bowl game had Hartline played. Joker was basically a lame duck with everybody but Mitch from that bowl game on. Would have been interesting to see how the Joker era panned out had he finished his first season with a bowl win.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
It will get “Corrected”. 4-8 is right where I thought they were. No Discipline over there. Don’t even know where to lineup half the time, and at times they score to quick.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Iffing Gunner or Terry have the willy of Steve this years team could win 8!
Meanwhile the fellowship of the miserable will continue to make negative predictions.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Their analysis:

1. Alabama 12-0 (8-0)
2. Georgia 11-1 (7-1)
3. MSU 10-2 (6-2)
4. Auburn 10-2 (6-2)
5. SCAR 9-3 (6-2)
6. A&M 8-4 (5-3)
7. Mizzou 8-4 (5-3)
8. LSU 7-5 (4-4)
9. Fla 6-6 (3-5)
10. Ole Miss 6-6 (2-6)
11. Tenn 5-7 (2-6)
12. Ark 5-7 (1-7)
13. Kentucky 4-8 (1-7)
14. Vandy 4-8 (1-7)

Good post, but none of this matters. They are making a superficial prediction based on Stephen Johnson, Courtney Love, Denzil Ware, and Austin MacGinnis being gone.

The real story is that Kentucky lost less than most other SEC teams lost. Allen and Edwards decided to come back. I still don't think Snell, Conrad, and our OL get the credit they have earned. To understand all of this, you need to study rosters in depth, and that is something most bloggers don't have time or desire to do.

People can predict whatever they want. When the season begins, none of this means anything more than bulletin board material for our locker room. The more it pisses Benny off, the better.

You really think UT has a shot at the East?

No I said 4 (of the 5) other than Georgia and Vandy could be a darkhorse winner of the East and Tennessee is the one that I think can't get there due to current condition of the program - I think the best they could possibly do this year is 2nd and that is highly unlikely.

Reactions: cat888
No I said 4 (of the 5) other than Georgia and Vandy could be a darkhorse winner of the East and Tennessee is the one that I think can't get there due to current condition of the program - I think the best they could possibly do this year is 2nd and that is highly unlikely.
No doubt about this. Everything would have to fall in UT's favor to even finish second this season. It is highly unlikely

Reactions: Ky grandpa
The football program has just built up tremendous negative equity over the years. The inertia from that will continue spinning and 6-6 regular seasons followed with consecutive bowl losses aren't going to change that.

We had a chance 06/07 after consecutive bowl wins over Clemson and Florida State. Unfortunately we remembered we were Kentucky football and hired Joker Phillips - next thing you know we are rolling downhill like a blue and white snowball headed for hell again. We rolled all the way back down to the bottom of the hill. Undid everything.

Stoops won't stop that with embarrassing losses at home to Louisville or leaving wide receivers uncovered multiple times against Florida.

Unfortunately I don't see a breakthrough this season either. We aren't anything special in our murderous conference.

I don't see anything better than 6-6 with yet another lightly attended bowl loss. The following season doesn't offer much real hope either and if we revert back to 5-7 or 4-8 it's time to reevaluate getting a better staff in here.

The football program has just built up tremendous negative equity over the years. The inertia from that will continue spinning and 6-6 regular seasons followed with consecutive bowl losses aren't going to change that.

We had a chance 06/07 after consecutive bowl wins over Clemson and Florida State. Unfortunately we remembered we were Kentucky football and hired Joker Phillips - next thing you know we are rolling downhill like a blue and white snowball headed for hell again. We rolled all the way back down to the bottom of the hill. Undid everything.

Stoops won't stop that with embarrassing losses at home to Louisville or leaving wide receivers uncovered multiple times against Florida.

Unfortunately I don't see a breakthrough this season either. We aren't anything special in our murderous conference.

I don't see anything better than 6-6 with yet another lightly attended bowl loss. The following season doesn't offer much real hope either and if we revert back to 5-7 or 4-8 it's time to reevaluate getting a better staff in here.
Actually recruiting after Joker was promoted to OC was most of the problem.

Reactions: Blue Decade
Im sticking with 7-5, potentially 8-4. I think Gunner will be solid and steady. Our front 4 on D is where the most worry lies for me. I expect a lot of dink and dunk on offense to offset Benny, and get CJ in the mix.

Probably not going to be flashy, just a very workhorse team. Just win baby!

Reactions: Nuke99m
Totally agree with you and others about Hartline. IIRC he ended up being a 3 year starter and every pre-season there was lots of talk on this board as to whether or not he should be the QB.

Peace

Their analysis:

1. Alabama 12-0 (8-0)
2. Georgia 11-1 (7-1)
3. MSU 10-2 (6-2)
4. Auburn 10-2 (6-2)
5. SCAR 9-3 (6-2)
6. A&M 8-4 (5-3)
7. Mizzou 8-4 (5-3)
8. LSU 7-5 (4-4)
9. Fla 6-6 (3-5)
10. Ole Miss 6-6 (2-6)
11. Tenn 5-7 (2-6)
12. Ark 5-7 (1-7)
13. Kentucky 4-8 (1-7)
14. Vandy 4-8 (1-7)

Excellent post!!! Right on the money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT