ADVERTISEMENT

2025 Schedule: 4 OOC Games? How?

So what will you, as a fan, get out of going (the expense and lack of excitement notwithstanding) to the Ball State, EKU and Akron games?

Also, what benefit is there to scheduling these three teams consecutively to start the season? Wouldn’t it be better to mix them into the murders row of SEC games? I know Mizzou does this, too, but I think most SEC teams like to have a “breather” before or after a big game. If the Big 6 can do it, why can’t we?
Well, I am the type of fan that likes being able to enjoy a few games and not be totally stressed out the whole game. At the beginning of the year we have a lot of new players that I am excited to see. And some of them that will contribute or maybe start need those games to get ready for the tough haul in the conference. Just seeing the team and how each guy performs is enough for me to be excited. Would not mind putting one of them in the middle of the conference schedule for a little relief and maybe a couple of injuries getting healed before our next conference game. Unlike some people, I would prefer us blowing out everybody every game so can just enjoy watching how every player plays and getting the win.

Super excited to see our new offensive system and players this coming season. Even if all our players were the same ones as last year would still be super excited because I love football and Kentucky, and that is plenty for me to be satisfied every Saturday, and winning is my thing.

Playing 9 SEC games will be tough on every team in the conference! It’s a sausage grinder.. I would like to see them go to 90 scholarships!

Absolutely expand the rosters. Let guys play 6 games but keep redshirt, not just 4. SEC football by far leeds CFB in injuries every yr. The fastest biggest athletes slamming into each other leads to broken bodies. And now we are adding 12% to total SEC games played per team.

Those poor Oklahoma and Texas kids have no idea what it will be like in 2024. They will both have hard times adapting to the physicality.

Reactions: Girthang
So some fans would rather tack on three more harder games to go with the SEC schedule and if affects our recruiting, ability to compete in the SEC and our chance of making the playoffs then so be it? Our thinking on the subject is just too different for me to get a handle on. I just want what is best for us to compete nationally for a championship and could care less about not getting to be hyped up over OOC games. I just want to win win win and that will help recruiting and moving up the ladder little by little till we can break through competing with the top programs on a regular basis.

Nobody is advocating for an ooc consisting of Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Clemson. I think most think Texas Tech, Cal, IU wouldn't be unreasonable.

Your thinking needs to expand beyond any single season W-L, to long term expansion of brand and getting a foot into new recruiting territories.

We've worn out the MAC trail, and Lake erie region. They never really did anything for recruiting. Number one we always play those schools at our place. No home and home contracts with decent teams means the program is not getting exposure in other areas of the country. Especially if the games aren't getting great tv spots.

What is recruiting at its core? Going to pitch some kid at his home on your program...exposure. That's what away games are. They're pitches.

"We play all across the sec..." yeah...most of that talent is spoken for. We've probably maxed out in a lot of those areas. They'll continue to be what they are, but we can't really progress any further.

The kids from Mount Pleasant Michigan to Youngstown Ohio aren't watching UK v Central Michigan or Youngstown, Toledo, Akron, Kent St, etc... they may not have the SEC network up there. They're watching Michigan State, OSU, Michigan.

Playing in Lubbock Texas, California, gets our program in front of an audience that hasn't been exposed to Kentucky football. There's a lot of talent in Texas and on the west coast. Hosting a kid on the sidelines for a game, or just playing before thousands of kids in the stands who may not get a big Texas or West coast offer, or who may just want to get out of state.

One home and home can net your program an introduction, foot in the door so to speak to new talent pools.

Last edited:
Crazy ironic thought - wouldn't it be better to play UL labor day weekend now? Instead of Thanksgiving, when after 9 SEC games our roster will be chewed and mauled?

Nope. Always better to play it at the end of the season. Even with a banged up team, we beat the snot out of them this year. After playing an SEC schedule it just makes UL seem like a G5

Agreed on the rest

A report going around that Oklahoma and Texas have been pushing hard to be here after this season coming up. Says that they are real close to making it happen. So we probably only have one more season with the current set up.

Reactions: vhcat70
Just reported that OK and TX will have to wait 2 more seasons. They could not work out some technical things after meeting about it.

Nah, just more negotiating.

It is a big table with lots of interested parties. Ok, TX, espn, SEC, B12, Fox. Makes too much sense for this to be figured out for 2024. CFB playoff, new SEC ESPN TV contract, new Big 10 contract.

Oklahoma and Texas are threatening the Angry 8 of sticking it out till '25 then leaving paying them NOTHING. This will get them to ease off their exit fee demands.

In the end, this summer, it gets worked out.

ADVERTISEMENT